Vietnam has eased its travel restrictions from March 16, 2022. All travelers are exempt from quarantine to visit Vietnam now as long as you're fully vaccinated.
Hanoi, the capital city of Vietnam, attracts visitors with its abundance in culture, diversity of cuisine, and charming scenery (Halong Bay and rural scenery).
It's recommended to have a 2-day visit in the city or a 3-day visit around the city. But if you would really love to explore Hanoi properly, you can also stay there for 10 days.
Choosing the best time to go
Hanoi's tropical climate makes it suitable to visit all year round; however, the best times to visit are winter and spring, from October to March. During this time, the weather is dry and cool. From April to September, hot humid air will blanket most of the nation and rainfall is plentiful.
October to March — best time to visit
October to March is in the dry season. The weather is pleasant with sunny and cool days, but please note that it's cold in Halong Bay and Sapa during this time. If you are planning to visit there, be sure to keep warm.
What's more, late December to early January is in the peak tourist season. Lots of tourists flock to Hanoi at this time.
April to September — hot and rainy
If you don't mind the rain and humidity, April to September is also a good time to visit. The temperature will increase to 40°C (104°F) and there is a great possibility of rain, but the rainfall is just showers over a very short period of time or at night.
In this low season, tourist numbers are less and the cost is low.
During the New Year holiday (normally from later January to early February, about 1 week) and National Day (September 2nd to 3rd), most shops and scenery will shut down. The two-way migration from rural to urban areas will also result in heavy traffic jams. You should avoid visiting at this time. Hot as it is, August is the peak tourist season in Vietnam. If you would like to visit Hanoi during this month, you should make a flight and room reservation in advance.
Vietnam & UAE FANTASTIC tour! Thank you Albee Ning!
Albee was INCREDIBLE. She arranged a 9-day private tour of both North and South Vietnam. No stone was left unturned: a private cruise up the Mekong; excellent hotel reservations; personal, caring tour guides;More
Consumer, Jun 2020
We traveled with Asia Highlights…
My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful 5 1/2 week trip that was organized by the exceptional Ruby Zhao. We have traveled a lot and Ruby is the VERY BEST AGENT we have ever had!More
Lurinda Smith Barton Barnwell, Mar 2020
We were.very satisfied with Asia…Four Great Weeks in China and Viet Nam
Asia Highlights was very efficient at advising us on what to see and the best routes to take, but they were also very flexible in integrating our own ideas in regard of travel destinations and accommodations.More
Eva and Jim, Oct 2019
Trip to Vietnam with Asia Highlights was well above expectations
My 12-day private trip to Vietnam was a very rewarding experience, and every day was fantastic, and well above expectations. My trip was perfectly well prepared and organized by Lissy Syoo from Asia Highlights,More
cdietp, May 2019
We traveled with China Highlights in 2015 and were completely satisfied, so when they emailed that they now were arranging trips to SE Asia we didn't even consider looking at other tour companies.More
Terry, Feb 2019
7-Day Vietnam Tour - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Danang/Hoi An
Asia Highlights did a great job planning and executing our family’s trip around Vietnam. We have two young girls and wanted to have a balance of sightseeing and activities so nobody got bored.More
Andrew, Jan 2019
We would like to thank Asia Highlights
We would like to thank Asia Highlights for a wonderful trip. Lissy was a joy to work with, in planning a vacation that took into account all our interests and was able to give us so much more than we expected.More
Victor Cognato, Dec 2018
Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Just returned from Vietnam trip arranged by Albee at Asia Highlights.She was very helpful with the arrangements even when I requested multiple changes in the itinerary.More
Tom, Oct 2017
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia…
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia trip via Asia Highlights and had a wonderful experience. The hotels they chosed for us were all very food. the guides were all very professional and spoke good EnglishMore
Yumin Zheng, Feb 2017
Spend the day exploring downtown Hanoi. But if you would like to explore Northern Vietnam around Hanoi, we would recommend 2 days for Halong Bay cruise and 3 days for Sapa trekking. Alternatively you can replace Sapa with Mai Chau, which is less-known but good for cycling with kids.
One to two days: downtown Hanoi, Hoan Kiem Lake, the Old Quarter, and museums
Three to five days: downtown Hanoi and Halong Bay, downtown Hanoi and Sapa, or downtown Hanoi and Mai Chau/Ninh Binh
Six to nine days: downtown Hanoi, Halong Bay, and Sapa, or downtown Hanoi, Halong Bay, and Mai Chau/Ninh Binh
Choosing what sights to see
- See the Old Quarter via a rickshaw ride in the daytime or take a walk there in the evening
- Hoan Kiem Lake, recommended in the morning
- Dong Xuan Market
- A water puppet show
- Some historic sights: the Temple of Literature, the One Pillar Pagoda, Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum
- Interesting museums: Vietnam Museum of Ethnology, the National Fine Arts Museum, Hoa Lo Prison
- Off-the-beaten-track Hanoi: Quang Ba Flower Market (best time to see it is at 5am–6am, on the way to the airport)
- Halong Bay: take a cruise ship to visit various islands, take a dugout canoe, go diving, and visit a floating village
- Mai Chau/Ninh Binh: explore on foot or by bike. There is a campfire party and a dinner party during the weekend at Mai Chau.
- Sapa: daily market, hiking in the valley village
Recommendations on how to get there
Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi is responsible for the most international routes in Vietnam. Direct flights are available from most Asian countries but some great international airlines in other countries also provide the service. For more information, please refer to How to Get to Vietnam.
Passengers can get into Hanoi via a daily bus from Nanning or a train.
There are two choices to get into Vietnam from China by train: a daily train going between Nanning and Hanoi, or two to four train services running daily that link Kunming and Hanoi. All train tickets need to be booked in advance and it is recommended to get these via travel agents.
By cruise ship
Many international cruise ships stop and stay at Halong Bay for 2 days. Passengers can get into Hanoi from Halong Bay.
How to get a vietnamese visa
There are three types of Vietnamese visa requirement:
Transit without a visa/visa-free
Apply for a visa in advance or Visa on arrival with approval letter
For more information, please refer to How to Get a Vietnam Visa.
Choosing a tour style: privately-guided, in a group, or on your own
It's recommended that you choose a tour guide for your journey in Hanoi. He/she can plan a unique route for you, lead you to experience the most original parts of Vietnam, and solve the problem of being stuck in traffic jams in the downtown area.
Particularly in the areas of Sapa, Mai Chau, and Ninh Binh, whose transportation systems are inconvenient, your private guide will arrange a vehicle for you, take you to the local market, and guide you to hike on a safe route.
If you go traveling in a group, it may not meet your individual needs. If you go on your own, it will take you a long time to make a plan and organize the transportation.
Find the best place to stay
The best choices of accommodation are in the Old Quarter and around Hoan Kiem Lake and West Lake.
There are several advantages in the Old Quarter: convenient transportation, various restaurants, shops, a spa, and cheaply priced hotels. However, it's noisy at night and traffic jams are heavy there.
Many tourists will choose the hotels around Hoan Kiem Lake, such as Sofitel Legend, Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, MGallery by Sofitel, and Hilton Hanoi Opera, from which tourists can enjoy the beauty of the lake. What's more, these are within walking distance of the downtown area.
Around West Lake is a new urban district. More and more hotels have been built in this district, such as the Waldorf and InterContinental hotels. Luxurious as they are, they are by no means a reflection of the original Vietnam.
You can choose the hotel according to your needs.
Advice on food
You can find different kinds of food in Hanoi, such as Indian, Chinese, and other Asian food as well as French and other Western food. We don't have much information about gluten-free food. If you can share your experiences about it, please contact us. Thank you!
Explore Asia with Asia Highlights
At Asia Highlights we offer tailor-made tours through Asia, where you can enjoy all highlights as well as amazing cultural experiences. To get started, send us an email.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 10-Day Best of Vietnam with Mekong Delta
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 2-Week Vietnam Family-with-Teenagers Holiday
- 13-Day Vietnam Classic Tour with Sapa
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 3-Week China and Vietnam Adventure Tour
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2024
- How to Plan Your First Trip to Vietnam — 7 Easy Steps
- How to Plan an Incredible Family Trip to Vietnam in 2024/2025
- Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Cost, Best Time, Places to See
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2024/2025)
- How Long to Spend in Vietnam? - 7 Days, 10 Days, 2 Weeks...
- 10 Days in Vietnam: 5 Best Itineraries in 2024 for First-Timers
- 2 Weeks in Vietnam: Top 4 Itineraries (with map)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How Much Does a Vietnam Trip Cost? (With Cost Breakdown)
- Vietnam Weather in January: Cool & Dry, Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in February: Cool & Dry, Insider Tips for Peak Season
- Vietnam Weather in March
- Vietnam Weather in April: Still Good Time to Go? Insider Tips
- Vietnam Weather in May: Rainy & Hot? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in June: Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in July: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- Vietnam Weather in August: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in September: Still Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Vietnam Weather in November, Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Vietnam Weather in December 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.