Vietnam Weather in October: Overview
In October, the average temperature of Vietnam is about 26°C (79°F). The rainfall halves in Northern Vietnam, decreases 20% in Southern Vietnam, but doubles to huge amounts in Central Vietnam!
- Northern Vietnam (Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa): Clearer skies, cooler weather, and autumn colors are features of October. Outdoor activities can return to your bucket list.
- Southern Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc): Rainfall lessens, but is still high. Beach vacations are possible in late October.
- Central Vietnam (Danang, Hoi An, Nha Trang): Very heavy monsoon rains peak. Traveling to the central area in October, you are likely to suffer persistent stormy days. Be flexible and take advantage of indoor activities, like cooking classes and lantern-making classes, or avoid its Sep.–Nov. wet season.
Seeing Bangkok with ease
In Bangkok, our tour guide, Ying, was wonderful. She navigated all the sights with ease, gave us interesting tidbits on Thai culture and history, helped us pick the right food at all the restaurants, and was just a pleasure to be around. We had a great time, and it was so nice to not have to worry about any of the details.More
Diane Elkins, Nov 2023
Thailand -insights, no stress and amazing team
My husband and my Thailand trip was fantastic, stress-free and educational thanks to the amazing team coordinated by Albee at Asia Highlights. The whole team was incredibly accessible, responsive, sensitive to our needs and lovely to work with. End-to-end, the trip was truly remarkable and the knowledgeable and dynamic tour guides and drivers made it especially memorable!More
AndrewsFamily, Oct 2023
Informative & Thorough / Thanks Sharon!
Sharon the advisor that helped me was so thorough & informative and explained the details of the tour including questions about visas and what is included vs what is not included in the tour packages. I would recommend them to explain tour packages that would fit the schedule of your pending travels.More
Chris, Sep 2023
Easy, fast responses
I worked directly with Monica in Asia Highlights. She was incredibly helpful and answered all of my questions quickly. Working with her made the whole process easy and we are so excited for our trip!More
Diana B, Sep 2023
Stress free Thailand
Alisa has organised our 14 day Thailand holiday for 2024 for my family & I. She has been very accommodating & super quick with all of our requests & we cannot wait for a stress free holiday! Thank you Alisa!More
Alana Mitchell, Sep 2023
Family Trip to Thailand-Cambodia
All of our guides were very nice and knowledgeable, but we have a special mention to our guide in Cambodia, Chan, he was very kind with us and it was very amusing. He went the extra mile for us. We really enjoyed our holidays!More
José Antonio Carrillo de la Pl, Sep 2023
Asia Highlights and Sharon
Asia Highlights, specifically Sharon, has been wonderfully helpful as we get ready for a 2024 excursion to Thailand. We are beyond excited, and much of that has to do with the personalized attention that we have experienced with Sharon. She has been extremely responsive, obliging, and focused as she helped us design a tailor made itinerary. All of our questions have been addressed, our needs have been met, and the path has now been set for a very exciting trip.... thanks to Sharon.More
Marcy Hoenig, Sep 2023
I was planning a trip to Thailand to…
I was planning a trip to Thailand to especially see the Lantern Festival this year for our birthdays!! It’s been on our bucket list, but we were completely lost on how to go about planning for our trip. We’ve never really booked tours before but Alisa was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, flexible and efficient in providing all the information we needed to make our decision on the best tours and tickets to purchase. Thank you so much!!More
https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/64d9a5a4657e4b39f768a21e, Aug 2023
I would definitely recommend Asia…
All of our guides were wonderful (Mr. Bank - Bangkok and Ms. Kai in Phuket & Khao Sok plus antoher guide who assisted in Koh Samui). Sharon took care of tours, private drivers, flights and hotels within Thailand and our trip went off without a hitch. The hotels were great and the transportation always arrived on time and with a clean,More
Guinevere Provance, Aug 2023
WOW! I’ve traveled Asia some & I must say Sharon & Asia Highlights made this trip so much more enjoyable and easyMore
Stephen Hollis, Aug 2023
Alisa has has been great to work with
Alisa with Asia Highlights has has been great to work with. Very friendly and responsive.More
Ana Rausch, Aug 2023
Using Sharon right now to book our…
Using Sharon right now to book our upcoming trip to Thailand. She has booked everything that we asked for. Has answered all of my inquiries, which has been many! Looking forward to having a great girls trip in ThailandMore
Tracy, Aug 2023
Thailand, Singapore, Bali
In Thailand, Tanny and Nori(Suparp), were both incredible! They were both fun, funny, and full of knowledge and made sure we got the full experience. They went the extra mile and always made sure we had cold bottled water and towels to cleanse our hands. In Singapore, Nicole was an absolute gem. She was so kind and knowledgeable and guided us in the right direction to make our day as enjoyable as possible. She helped us choose a top notch local lunch and coffee spot in China Town and taught us so much about the country! In Bali, Emon was an absolute joy. He was very knowledgeable and kind and absolutely made sure we were feeling comfortable and was willing to be flexible with us. He was fun to converse with and made our time traveling between destinations so enjoyable! I cannot recommend Asia Highlights enough! Accommodations, travel arrangements and guided tours were all a breeze.More
Cassi Thunker, Jul 2023
Very supportive ! I have received eticket for Sky Lattern Festival very fastMore
Chi?n Nguy?n Ng?c, Jul 2023
My experience in Chang Mai with Asia Highlights
I greatly enjoyed my experience with Asia Highlights for a trip I booked to Thailand.All of my interests were catered too. My guide in Chang Mai Gemma was excellent.I truly felt the soul of Thailand culture and Buddhism.More
Richard, Jul 2023
A pleasure to plan with
Well, this has been a painless and pleasurable process to find such a wonderful company. I had specific dates and places to be and Sharon worked with me diligently to refine the schedule and costs to suit my travel needs and budget. She informed me of a special tour on the dates I am to be in Thailand and I added that to my previous plans.More
Chris Williams, Jul 2023
Large multi-generational holiday in Thailand
The holiday was wonderful. Our guides, Mr Monchai (Bangkok), and Ms Tipagorn (Tippy) (Chiang Mai) were exceptional. Travelling in a large multigenerational group with many children requires patience and our guides truly understood that. Mr Monchai and Ms Tippy shared their extensive knowledge of the many wonderful places we visited, and were flexible to take us to additional places along the way based on discussions. While everyday was busy, having them greet us with patience and a smile truly made this a memorable holiday. The hotels we stayed at were equally wonderful and went above and beyond to celebrate not only my parents 50th anniversary but also celebrate 2 milestone birthdays that occurred. We will cherish this holiday for many years to come. We hope to use Asia Highlights again.More
CL, Jul 2023
I never used a travel agent in my life
I never used a travel agent in my life, but Sharon for Asia Highlights did a phenomenal job helping planning and coordination a family vacation. The best part of working with Sharon was that she maintained an open line of communication and provided answers to my question well within 12-24 hours. Additionally, Sharon was flexible and customized our vacation to my families needs. Overall great experience.More
Antione Barry, Jul 2023
Great company to plan a trip to Southeast Asia!
Sharon Haung has been wonderful to work with! Very patient and accommodating. Responds immediately given time change and is prepared, prompt, and professional.More
Debi Hinerfeld, Jul 2023
We took a 15 days trip (10 days Vietnam and 5 days Thailand …
It was an amazing experience the guides and drivers were there awaiting for us at each airoport for a transfer to the hotels also on time for all the tours all the guides were so lovely , very experienced and spoke very good English , one of the days on tour in Thailand I lost my phone in a temple in Bangkok mr chai went out of his way in a middle of thousands of visitors and managed to find an bring it back to me I found that amazing , also while on a trip I contacted Jason li out tour organizer few time via whatup and he replied and helped on the spot I recommend asiahilights 150% The quality of the service hotels the guides the drivers outstanding From start to finish ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ????More
SIMO el ghobar, Jun 2023
Average Temperatures of the Most Popular Tourist Areas in October
|Vietnam Area||Min. Temp||Max. Temp|
|Ho Chi Minh City||24°C/75°F||30°C/86°F|
Average Rainfall of the Most Popular Tourist Areas in October
|Vietnam Area||Rainfall (mm)||Rainfall (in)||Rainy days|
|Ho Chi Minh City||267||6||21|
The 6 Best Places to Visit in Vietnam in October
October is the best time to explore the autumn landscapes of Northern Vietnam. The rice paddies are turning golden, shining under the clear skies. The autumn flowers, like daisies and sunflowers, are blooming as well.
In late October, you can also set your steps to the south, despite the high rainfall — it's still much better than central Vietnam!
Here are the recommended cities:
- Northern Vietnam: Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay
- Southern Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, Phu Quoc
Suggested read: How to Plan a Trip to Vietnam - 7 Easy Steps!
October is a good month to visit Hanoi as it is the end of the rainy season and the weather becomes cooler and drier. The average temperature is around 25°C (77°F) with some sunny days. You can enjoy many activities in Hanoi such as:
- Exploring the Old Quarter with its narrow streets, shops, and cafes.
- Visiting historical and cultural sites such as Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Temple of Literature, Hoan Kiem Lake, and One Pillar Pagoda.
- Sampling delicious street food such as pho, bun cha, banh mi, and egg coffee.
Travel with one of our local guides to have a better insight into this city.
2. Halong Bay
Halong Bay offers breathtaking scenery with a clear sky and emerald waters. October is also only the beginning of its high season, thus you can go and enjoy this wonder with fewer crowds.
Hop on a luxury cruise, visit the special floating villages, and immerse yourself in this karst island paradise. An overnight cruise is a good way to enjoy peaceful seascapes with a sunset and sunrise. All will create a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Harvest in Sapa is in early October. If you'd like to see golden rice terraces or a rural working scene, just visit Sapa before mid-October.
With favorable sunny days, hiking is a must for nature lovers in October. Multi-day trekking could be arranged from moderate to challenging. You have the option to hike among the rice terraces or challenge yourself to climbing the highest peak, Fansipan Mountain.
Of course, the cable car is a good choice if you want a leisurely ascend Fansipan. No matter which way you choose, Sapa will never disappoint you.
In most travel reviews, the warmth of locals brightens Sapa trips. The hospitable locals make trips vibrant and unforgettable. A homestay can bring you close to them and their life. Contact us for a well-liked homestay.
4. Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City, also known as Saigon, is Vietnam's financial center. You can see the modern Vietnam in this metropolis.
For most history buffs, the Cu Chi tunnels are alluring as relics of the American War in Vietnam. It is said that you couldn't fully understand Vietnam's history without a visit to the Cu Chi tunnels. Or wander the Binh Tay Market and buy some souvenirs for your friends and family.
5. The Mekong Delta
October usually avoids seasonal floods, as rainfall ebbs. The high level of water is still helpful, though, to explore the beauty of the Mekong Delta.
As a popular excursion from Ho Chi Minh City, you can take a boat to see the floating markets. It's interesting to see their unique boat-top displays of goods and how they buy and sell. If you like what you see, join the locals and buy something.
If time permits, stay overnight and see the bustling floating market in the morning.
6. Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc Island will be drier from late October. You can enjoy less rain, blue skies, and mild temperatures. The sea becomes calmer and good for swimming, diving, or snorkeling.
On Phu Quoc Island, night squid fishing is a unique experience. When night falls, night fishing adventures begin. You could take a boat to the fishing area, learn the techniques from the crew, catch a squid, and taste it fresh onboard.
Crowds and Costs Increase
October is a better time to travel to Vietnam in general. Traveler numbers increase everywhere except in central Vietnam, where the rains hit a torrential peak.
In northern Vietnam, autumn scenery attracts more visitors. During this short high season, costs will increase noticeably, and you are suggested to book hotels at least two weeks before arrival.
Visitor numbers also increase in southern Vietnam, but it is not crowded. And the costs are still low.
What to Wear in October
- Sun protection: sunscreen, hat, sunglasses
- Waterproof rain jacket or raincoat, umbrella, rubber boots
- Loose, breathable clothing that covers your knees and shoulders for cultural sensitivity and sun protection
- Light, quick-drying wear for humid days
- Layers of clothing, maybe a hoodie, for cooler evenings in Northern Vietnam
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Insect repellent if hiking activities are arranged.
Monthly Weather and Travel Information for Vietnam
Learn about the weather in Vietnam for 12 months and find out the best places to visit each month.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 10-Day Best of Vietnam with Mekong Delta
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 2-Week Vietnam Family-with-Teenagers Holiday
- 13-Day Vietnam Classic Tour with Sapa
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 3-Week China and Vietnam Adventure Tour
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2024
- How to Plan Your First Trip to Vietnam — 7 Easy Steps
- How to Plan an Incredible Family Trip to Vietnam in 2024/2025
- Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Cost, Best Time, Places to See
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2024/2025)
- How Long to Spend in Vietnam? - 7 Days, 10 Days, 2 Weeks...
- 10 Days in Vietnam: 5 Best Itineraries in 2024 for First-Timers
- 2 Weeks in Vietnam: Top 4 Itineraries (with map)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How Much Does a Vietnam Trip Cost? (With Cost Breakdown)
- Vietnam Weather in January: Cool & Dry, Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in February: Cool & Dry, Insider Tips for Peak Season
- Vietnam Weather in March
- Vietnam Weather in April: Still Good Time to Go? Insider Tips
- Vietnam Weather in May: Rainy & Hot? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in June: Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in July: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- Vietnam Weather in August: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in September: Still Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Vietnam Weather in November, Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Vietnam Weather in December 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.