If you want to discover the real Vietnam, you have to come here, to Hanoi.
This is an ancient city with a history of more than 1,000 years, preserving temples, monuments and an old quarter.
As the capital, it's the center of politics, economics and culture in Vietnam, adjusting to modern developments.
It's a charming city with European characteristics, retaining much French influence.
Look for a Lucky Turtle
Hoan Kiem Lake
Recommended length of visit: one to two hours
Hoan Kiem Lake is a beautiful lake in the Old Quarter with a long history. Small as it is, it's a good place for scenery and for escaping from the hustle and bustle of adjacent streets.
There is a small island in the lake with a stone pagoda, as well as a bright red wooden bridge with a view of the lake. It's said that the lake is inhabited by giant turtles and if you see one, good luck is on the way.
Sitting by the lake and watching people coming and going is a good way of acquainting yourself with the lives of local people.
Vietnam & UAE FANTASTIC tour! Thank you Albee Ning!
Albee was INCREDIBLE. She arranged a 9-day private tour of both North and South Vietnam. No stone was left unturned: a private cruise up the Mekong; excellent hotel reservations; personal, caring tour guides;More
Consumer, Jun 2020
We traveled with Asia Highlights…
My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful 5 1/2 week trip that was organized by the exceptional Ruby Zhao. We have traveled a lot and Ruby is the VERY BEST AGENT we have ever had!More
Lurinda Smith Barton Barnwell, Mar 2020
We were.very satisfied with Asia…Four Great Weeks in China and Viet Nam
Asia Highlights was very efficient at advising us on what to see and the best routes to take, but they were also very flexible in integrating our own ideas in regard of travel destinations and accommodations.More
Eva and Jim, Oct 2019
Trip to Vietnam with Asia Highlights was well above expectations
My 12-day private trip to Vietnam was a very rewarding experience, and every day was fantastic, and well above expectations. My trip was perfectly well prepared and organized by Lissy Syoo from Asia Highlights,More
cdietp, May 2019
We traveled with China Highlights in 2015 and were completely satisfied, so when they emailed that they now were arranging trips to SE Asia we didn't even consider looking at other tour companies.More
Terry, Feb 2019
7-Day Vietnam Tour - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Danang/Hoi An
Asia Highlights did a great job planning and executing our family’s trip around Vietnam. We have two young girls and wanted to have a balance of sightseeing and activities so nobody got bored.More
Andrew, Jan 2019
We would like to thank Asia Highlights
We would like to thank Asia Highlights for a wonderful trip. Lissy was a joy to work with, in planning a vacation that took into account all our interests and was able to give us so much more than we expected.More
Victor Cognato, Dec 2018
Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Just returned from Vietnam trip arranged by Albee at Asia Highlights.She was very helpful with the arrangements even when I requested multiple changes in the itinerary.More
Tom, Oct 2017
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia…
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia trip via Asia Highlights and had a wonderful experience. The hotels they chosed for us were all very food. the guides were all very professional and spoke good EnglishMore
Yumin Zheng, Feb 2017
Exploring the Legacy of Ho Chi Minh
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Complex and Ho Chi Minh Museum
Recommended length of visit: half-an-hour to an hour
When you talk about Vietnam, one man shouldn't be overlooked: Ho Chi Minh. He's the liberator, who led the country to freedom; the founder, who unified the nation.
At the Mausoleum, Ho Chi Minh's body is preserved in a glass case for public viewing. You can pay your respects to him here. To show respect, please dress neatly and remain silent while visiting.
Nearby is the Museum dedicated to Ho Chi Minh's life and achievements. It's worth visiting for anyone interested in the history of Vietnam.
Feel the Rhythm of Romantic Religious Beauty
Saint Joseph's Cathedral
Recommended length of visit: half-an-hour to an hour
Saint Joseph's Cathedral was built in 1886. It's a Gothic revival church, imitating the construction of Notre Dame in Paris.
The church is not as bright as the red cathedral in Ho Chi Minh or the pink cathedral in Da Nang, but it still reflects a historical romanticism.
A giant statue of the Virgin Mary outside the church will first catch your attention. Then, walking inside, you'll be amazed by the gorgeous stained glass window and shiny gilt trimmed wood of the nave.
Just feel the rhythm of beauty emanating from the church. It has grown from a combination of romance and religion.
Bathe in the Sunshine of an Ancient Academy
Temple of Literature
Recommended length of visit: one to two hours
The Temple of Literature was built in 1070, originally as a university dedicated to Confucius.
The temple is well-preserved and worth visiting. Its Vietnamese architecture comprises a lake of literature, the Well of Heavenly Clarity, and turtle steles, along with courtyards and pavilions.
This is where the graduation ceremonies have been conducted for thousands of doctoral students. It is also where the doors of the university were originally opened to commoners. (Originally the university only accepted students of noble birth.)
Absorb the Art at the Opera House
Hanoi Opera House
Recommended length of visit: two to three hours (if attending a performance)
Hanoi Opera House, built in 1911, is the biggest theatre in Vietnam and one of the architectural landmarks of Hanoi. This impressive and well maintained colonial-era building was modeled on the Palais Garnier and is replete with neo-classical French characteristics, with a Gothic theme.
The interior is more magnificent than the exterior. Crystal chandeliers, Parisian mirrors, and bright marble terraces exhibit extravagant French flair.
Enjoy the Quintessence of Vietnamese Culture
Recommended length of visit: an hour
Water puppetry is a traditional performance with a history of nearly 1,000 years. Shows are performed in a pool of water, which is the stage for the puppets. Simultaneously, a Vietnamese orchestra plays traditional music, accompanying singers.
Most of the shows include a number of short sketches, leading the audiences through a journey of legends, harvest celebrations and ancient village life.
If you want to discover more about Vietnamese culture, you shouldn't miss this.
Investigate the Eternal Soul of Hanoi
Recommended length of visit: two hours to half-a-day
There's an old Vietnamese saying, "Hanoi has thirty-six streets and guilds – Jam Street, Sugar Street, Salt Street…". It's Hanoi"s Old Quarter, the eternal soul of the city.
Packed with gorgeous colonial architecture, Buddhist temples and pagodas, the Old Quarter is a major commercial district in Hanoi. It houses artistic products from all around the country, making it a shopper's delight.
The Old Quarter at night is a place for night owls. Pop music, discos, clubs and bars will thrill and excite you.
Experience Local Life Vietnamese Style
Hanoi Cyclo Tours
Recommended length of visit: one to three hours
A cyclo is a cart where you sit in front, with the bike peddler behind. If you want to experience local life in a relaxing way, take a cyclo tour around the lake and French quarter.
On the cyclo, you can see folk exercising on the lake shore, watch local people enjoying breakfast on the street, and experience the chaotic traffic consisting primarily of scooters. It's so interesting, especially at crossroads.
Sitting on the cyclo and watching people pass by will remind you of film excerpts in which someone moves at a normal pace while the rest of the world speeds by.
Visit Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Asia Highlights welcomes the chance to help you design your perfect trip to Vietnam. Our knowledgeable staff will assist you in selecting destinations, accommodations and activities that best suit your requirements.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 10-Day Best of Vietnam with Mekong Delta
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 2-Week Vietnam Family-with-Teenagers Holiday
- 13-Day Vietnam Classic Tour with Sapa
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 3-Week China and Vietnam Adventure Tour
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2024
- How to Plan Your First Trip to Vietnam — 7 Easy Steps
- How to Plan an Incredible Family Trip to Vietnam in 2024/2025
- Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Cost, Best Time, Places to See
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2024/2025)
- How Long to Spend in Vietnam? - 7 Days, 10 Days, 2 Weeks...
- 10 Days in Vietnam: 5 Best Itineraries in 2024 for First-Timers
- 2 Weeks in Vietnam: Top 4 Itineraries (with map)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How Much Does a Vietnam Trip Cost? (With Cost Breakdown)
- Vietnam Weather in January: Cool & Dry, Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in February: Cool & Dry, Insider Tips for Peak Season
- Vietnam Weather in March
- Vietnam Weather in April: Still Good Time to Go? Insider Tips
- Vietnam Weather in May: Rainy & Hot? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in June: Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in July: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- Vietnam Weather in August: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in September: Still Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Vietnam Weather in November, Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Vietnam Weather in December 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.