In Vietnam you will not only see beautiful sights, but will also be entertained by the country's vibrant and exciting culture. Vietnam has a rich heritage of performing arts including theatrical arts, music, and dance.
Whether it be watching music performances, or learning how to make Vietnamese food, whether in Hanoi or in Hoi An, we hope to create for you a memorable experience.
Watch Theatrical Performances
What better way to gain insight into Vietnam's folk stories and cultures than to watch them performed?
There are several theatres where you can watch highly-rated contemporary theatrical performances highlighting Vietnam's rich cultural heritage, including Hanoi Opera House and Vietnam Tuong Theatre in Hanoi, and Saigon Opera House in Ho Chi Minh City.
Enjoy the music, stories, and dance of Vietnam while also learning to appreciate Vietnamese culture.
What Makes it Special
- Cultural yet contemporary: The performances highlight Vietnam's traditional culture, while at the same time involving modern theatrical techniques, to create a professional show.
- Colonial historical buildings: The shows take place in several high-end theatres such as Hanoi Opera House, Vietnam Tuong Theatre, and Saigon Opera House. All of these are historical buildings from the French colonial period which are well preserved and maintained.
Vietnam & UAE FANTASTIC tour! Thank you Albee Ning!
Albee was INCREDIBLE. She arranged a 9-day private tour of both North and South Vietnam. No stone was left unturned: a private cruise up the Mekong; excellent hotel reservations; personal, caring tour guides;More
Consumer, Jun 2020
We traveled with Asia Highlights…
My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful 5 1/2 week trip that was organized by the exceptional Ruby Zhao. We have traveled a lot and Ruby is the VERY BEST AGENT we have ever had!More
Lurinda Smith Barton Barnwell, Mar 2020
We were.very satisfied with Asia…Four Great Weeks in China and Viet Nam
Asia Highlights was very efficient at advising us on what to see and the best routes to take, but they were also very flexible in integrating our own ideas in regard of travel destinations and accommodations.More
Eva and Jim, Oct 2019
Trip to Vietnam with Asia Highlights was well above expectations
My 12-day private trip to Vietnam was a very rewarding experience, and every day was fantastic, and well above expectations. My trip was perfectly well prepared and organized by Lissy Syoo from Asia Highlights,More
cdietp, May 2019
We traveled with China Highlights in 2015 and were completely satisfied, so when they emailed that they now were arranging trips to SE Asia we didn't even consider looking at other tour companies.More
Terry, Feb 2019
7-Day Vietnam Tour - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Danang/Hoi An
Asia Highlights did a great job planning and executing our family’s trip around Vietnam. We have two young girls and wanted to have a balance of sightseeing and activities so nobody got bored.More
Andrew, Jan 2019
We would like to thank Asia Highlights
We would like to thank Asia Highlights for a wonderful trip. Lissy was a joy to work with, in planning a vacation that took into account all our interests and was able to give us so much more than we expected.More
Victor Cognato, Dec 2018
Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Just returned from Vietnam trip arranged by Albee at Asia Highlights.She was very helpful with the arrangements even when I requested multiple changes in the itinerary.More
Tom, Oct 2017
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia…
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia trip via Asia Highlights and had a wonderful experience. The hotels they chosed for us were all very food. the guides were all very professional and spoke good EnglishMore
Yumin Zheng, Feb 2017
Watch a Water Puppet Show
Puppetry is a form of entertainment you can find in many cultures. However, water puppetry, where the puppets appear to be moving on top of water, is unique to Vietnam, and has intrigued many people from all round the world.
The show is traditionally performed on flooded paddies and is very popular amongst tourists. The Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre in Hanoi is a good place for watching these shows, which last just under an hour.
Be intrigued by the way the puppeteers manipulate the puppets to move naturally above water.
What Makes it Special
- It is a traditional form of Vietnamese Art: Water puppet shows are a unique form of traditional performing art dating back to the 11th century, originating in the villages of the Red River Delta in Vietnam.
- Find out for yourself how they do it: The puppeteers stand waist-deep in the water behind a bamboo screen, using long wooden rods to manipulate the puppets so that they appear to be moving on top of water.
Enjoy Traditional Vietnamese Music
Do not miss the opportunity to discover Vietnam's enchanting music. Each culture has its own unique music, which is a reflection to the character of the people as well as their past history. Such is the case with Vietnam's music.
Vietnam's musical culture is as rich and diverse as its people. While it is distinct from Chinese music, there are some similarities, as a result of their shared past history.
You can explore various traditional music genres, one of them being Ca Trù, an ancient genre of chamber music centering round a female singer. You can watch Ca Trù performances at Thang Long Ca Tru Guild in Hanoi.
Ca Trù used to carry negative connotations and be likened to the geisha form of entertainment, as it was used to entertain wealthy people. Today, however, that is no longer the case.
You can see many musical instruments in Vietnam. Two of the most popular are the sáo (the Chinese flute), and the dàntranh (a long zither highly similar to China's guzheng).
You can also find many other traditional instruments in Vietnam. Some resemble Chinese musical instruments, others are completely unique, such as the T'rưng, a vertical bamboo xylophone, or the H'mong Pen Pipe, a unique reed instrument commonly played at funerals.
You will find that the sounds of Vietnamese music are foreign to the Westerner's ear. Once you get over the unfamiliarity of the sound, however, you will find yourself enchanted by its beauty.
What Makes it Special
- Unique musical instruments: See and hear for yourself musical instruments that you won't see or hear elsewhere.
- Listen to Ca Trù: Listen for yourself to the beauty of this genre of music that is considered by UNESCO as a world heritage that needs to be preserved.
Taste Vietnam's Street Food
Outside Vietnam, most people only know of Vietnam's pho noodles and Vietnamese spring rolls. While these are indeed delicious, there is a lot more to be discovered.
A great opportunity for you to discover more Vietnamese delicacies is via a street food tour, a popular activity for tourists in Vietnam.
We can arrange such a tour for you in the Old Quarter in Hanoi. You can sample Vietnam's delicious street food such as banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich), as well as the local drinks such as egg coffee.
Walk through the array of street vendors and be captivated by the smells, sights, and tastes of Vietnam.
What Makes it Special
- Egg coffee: You might wonder how egg and coffee goes well together, but this drink is actually popular not only amongst locals, but tourists as well. Taste for yourself!
- Picking tropical fruits: Your tour guide can advise how to pick fresh mangos, longans or lychees, and will be your source of other local insights.
Learn How to Cook Vietnamese Food
You can learn how to cook Vietnamese food for yourself, not just to taste it!
We can arrange a private Vietnamese cooking session for you. The session begins with a tour round a local market. You will then take a short boat trip on the Hoi An River to a restaurant, where you will be instructed by an experienced chef.
A few dishes you may learn to cook include: rice cake, shrimp rolls, Hoi An pancakes, quang name chicken noodle soup, and food decorations.
What Makes it Special
- Small private cooking session: You will have the full attention and thorough instructions of an experienced chef, learning to make traditional Vietnamese food.
- Local market tour: During the tour, the basic ingredients of Vietnamese cooking will be introduced to you.
Enjoy Vietnam's Nightlife
While travelling with Asia highlights, you will have most of your evenings free to yourself. Take this opportunity to discover Vietnam's nightlife. You can explore Hanoi's Old Quarter, where you can enjoy anything from the street food vendors to the local bars.
Ho Chi Minh City, having been influenced by the Americans during the war, has numerous bars in the southern part of the city. Hoi An used to be known as a quiet riverside city famous for wine and cocktails, but now also has a lively nightlife with clubs and bars.
Explore Asia with Asia Highlights
At Asia Highlights we offer tailor-made tours through Asia, where you can enjoy all highlights as well as amazing cultural experiences. To get started, send us an email.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 10-Day Best of Vietnam with Mekong Delta
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 2-Week Vietnam Family-with-Teenagers Holiday
- 13-Day Vietnam Classic Tour with Sapa
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 3-Week China and Vietnam Adventure Tour
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2024
- How to Plan Your First Trip to Vietnam — 7 Easy Steps
- How to Plan an Incredible Family Trip to Vietnam in 2024/2025
- Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Cost, Best Time, Places to See
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2024/2025)
- How Long to Spend in Vietnam? - 7 Days, 10 Days, 2 Weeks...
- 10 Days in Vietnam: 5 Best Itineraries in 2024 for First-Timers
- 2 Weeks in Vietnam: Top 4 Itineraries (with map)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How Much Does a Vietnam Trip Cost? (With Cost Breakdown)
- Vietnam Weather in January: Cool & Dry, Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in February: Cool & Dry, Insider Tips for Peak Season
- Vietnam Weather in March
- Vietnam Weather in April: Still Good Time to Go? Insider Tips
- Vietnam Weather in May: Rainy & Hot? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in June: Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in July: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- Vietnam Weather in August: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in September: Still Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Vietnam Weather in November, Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Vietnam Weather in December 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.