Chiang Rai is a traveler’s paradise; it has many resorts, guesthouses, and hotels. Nature lovers can also go camping at a National Park. Visitors typically spend a night or two in or near to the city center.
Choosing a place to stay during your holiday sometimes can be difficult and can lead to problems. Asia Highlights is giving some information here for travelers who are going to Chiang Rai. Accommodation prices in this city really depend on the location, facilities and the season. In this article we have some recommendations for hotels too! Check them out below.
Quick Facts about Hotels in Chiang Rai
- You will not run out of hotels or resorts in Chiang Rai; there are plenty of options, ranging from 3-star to 5-star hotels.
- Staying in or near the city makes it easier to go for a stroll there during your visit.
- For a peaceful and relaxing stay, pick a hotel that is not located in the city.
- Chiang Rai’s peak season is in December and January which can lead to higher accommodation prices.
- Hotel prices in Chiang Rai also depend on the location and facilities offered.
6-Day Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai Highlights Tour：
What Our Customers Said
5 STAR CUSTOMER SERVICE BY MONICA
Monica is a very sweet young lady who speaks excellent English via email/WhatsApp, and knows the importance of excellent customer service.
Trent, Jan 2023
2023 Chiang Mai CAD Yipeng Festival
We got early bird ticket and Bella was assisting us through whatsapp. Easy, competitive price, front row tickets. Thanks Bella, for being patient explaining everything to me. Highly recommended.
lily hartati, Dec 2022
Bella has been an outstanding customer service rep
Bella has been an outstanding customer service rep. She was responsive and knowledgeable. Buying tickets from their website was super easy and the whole process was straightforward. Highly recommended.
Khai, Nov 2022
I booked tickets to the Chiang Mai Yi Peng Lantern Festival in Nov 2022. Bella was extremely responsive and helpful!!
Bowen, Nov 2022
We had an amazing trip to Thailand
We had an amazing trip to Thailand with Asiahighlights. Every detail was perfectly organised and we always had an instant customer support service in case of any issues.
bugra t, Nov 2022
Bella was very helpful and responsive to all our questions. They handled all the arrangements very professionally and we had a wonderful time! We would definitely recommend and use them again!
Christie, Nov 2022
I contacted to Bella from Asia Highlights
I contacted to Bella from Asia Highlights that to buy tickets to Yi Peng Festival in Chiang Mai when i was in my country.She helped me very much.You can trust this agency, and i advice Bella as the best!!
Elena, Nov 2022
I had booked Chiang Mai Yi Peng Sky Lantern Festival
I had booked Chiang Mai Yi Peng Sky Lantern Festival with Asia Highlight Travel, my travel advisor was Bella Kiu, the experience was great, got my tickets , communication was seamless.
Siskazi Lindeni, Nov 2022
4 Popular Areas to Stay in Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai’s increasing popularity has caused a rise in its standard and variety of accommodation. In Chiang Rai, there is something available for every budget, although choices are more limited than what is available in Chiang Mai or Bangkok.
Below we will summarize the most popular areas to stay in Chiang Rai and provide you with the pros and cons of each so that you can choose a suitable location according to your needs.
1. The Riverside Area — Most Recommended
1) You will find many boutique hotels and resorts along the riverside where you can escape the crowd, get some fresh air, relax, and enjoy the beauty of Chiang Rai.
2) It is close to the city center but provides a better environment and more beautiful views.
3) Compared to the hotels in the clock tower area, this area is quieter and more suitable for vacationers.
1) The hotel rates are higher here than they are in other areas.
Recommended hotels: The Riverie by Katathani (5-star), Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort (5-star), The Legend Chiang Rai Boutique River Resort & Spa (4-star), Na Na Doo Homestay (3-star)
2. The Clock Tower and Night Market Area — Best for Young People
1) This area is centrally located and the Clock Tower area is home to the Chiang Rai Day Market, the Saturday Walking Street, and a selection of good restaurants and shops.
2) Chiang Rai is a small city and this area is where you’ll find most of the action and things to do.
3) It has more accommodation options with mid-range hotels and guesthouses easily found in the area.
4) It is close to Wat Phra Kaew.
1) It will be a little noisier and more crowded than other areas.
Recommended hotels: Le Patta Hotel Chiang Rai (4-star), Wiang Inn Hotel Chiang Rai (3-star), Baan Jaru (3-star)
3. The Golden Triangle Area — Best for the Elephant Camp
1) From this area, it is convenient to travel to the Golden Triangle.
2) If your main reason for visiting Chiang Rai is to spend time with elephants, then this area will be best for you.
3) Contains two amazing elephant camps and resorts.
1) It is far away from the city center.
2) Staying here is less affordable than it is in other areas.
Recommended hotels: Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle (luxury 5-star), Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort (luxury 5-star)
4. The White Temple Area — Best for Temple Visitors
1) It is close to the White Temple, one of the most famous attractions in Chiang Rai.
2) The surrounding environment is quiet.
1) It is a little far from the city center.
2) There are fewer hotel options available.
3) There are almost no options for nightlife.
Recommended hotels: Laluna Hotel and Resort (4-star), Grand Vista Hotel Chiangrai (4-star)
Hotel Styles and Average Ranking
You can find accommodation, from luxurious spa resorts to popular international names, as well as boutique hotels at a range of different budgets. A hotel room is to provide its guests with a clean, comfortable place to stay where you can get a good night's sleep, while some hotels or resorts provide more amenities to make guests even more comfortable while staying.
Mid-range hotels, or 3- to 4-star hotels, appeal to the largest segment of the travelling public; they usually are located near or in the city center. On the other hand, 5-star hotels and resorts usually are located in an exotic place and usually miles away from city.
Resorts or 5-star hotels often provide upscale restaurants and lounges, valet, concierge services and also private dining facilities which mid-range hotels don’t usually have. But things like swimming pool, business center, food and beverage room service, in-room entertainment, Wi-Fi, are generally also found in mid-range accommodation.
8-Day Northern Thailand Discovery：
Length of Stay and Budget
There are not many attractions in Chiang Rai, compared to its neighboring city Chiang Mai. However, the beauty of the nature and the pleasant atmosphere can make you forget the time and not wanting to leave the city. It’s advised to stay at least 2 days in Chiang Rai to see the highlights.
Hotel and resort prices in Thailand depend on the season and amenities available. 5-star hotel prices range from USD 100-160 a night in low season and USD 120-180 a night in high season, while 4-star and 3-star hotel prices vary from USD 50-90 a night in low season and USD 60-100 a night in high season.
Asia Highlights’ Handpicked Hotels
Hotels and resorts in Chiang Rai offer something for everyone, from luxurious resorts with lots of facilities to mid-range accommodation. Here we have some recommendations of places to stay in Chiang Rai. We picked these based on the service, facilities, price and location.
Laluna Hotel and Resort
Location: 160 Moo 14 Sanambin Road, Muang, Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand
Features and why we recommend it:
Set in lush grounds, this upmarket resort is 2 km from Wat Phra Kaew, a royal Buddhist temple, only minutes from the famous night bazaar and center of town, and a 15-minute drive to the airport and bus station.
Every bungalow is provided with Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV, mini-fridge and also a coffee-maker. Room service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is also a café and a chic bar, plus a kids' pool, and an outdoor pool, surrounded by sun-lounges and greenery. Other amenities include a hot tub and bike rental. This hotel is perfect for families and couples on honeymoon.
Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort
Location: 221/2 Moo 20 Kwaewai Road, Tambon Robwieng, Amphur Muang, Tambon Robwieng, Chiang Rai, 57000, Thailand
Features and why we recommend it:
Located along the Kok River, this chic resort hotel features traditional Thai architecture, and is 4 km from Wat Phra Kaew Temple and 13 km from Santiburi Country Club. The hotel is easily accessible by car and is only 15 minutes away from the city center.
This hotel has stylish rooms with sitting areas and balconies. It features flat-screen TVs, rainfall showers and free Wi-Fi, safe box, minibar, and tea and coffeemaker. Other amenities include a luxury spa with a hot tub and a fitness center, plus a library and business center. This hotel is specifically designed for travelers who want a relaxing and peaceful stay.
Location: 333 Thasud, Muang District, Chiang Rai, 57100, Thailand
Features and why we recommend it:
Wanasom is situated on a restful lakeside, amidst natural tropical forest and mountains and only a 35-minute drive from the city center. Wanasom is property of Mae Fah Luang University and is located at the back end of the university. This place is perfect for those who are looking for a peaceful stay.
Wanasom has more than 50 rooms. All rooms come with a private balcony, facing the lake and the magnificent mountains, combining the best of beauty, comfort and convenience. The rooms are air-conditioned and include tea and coffee making facilities, a mini bar and a private bathroom. They all have wireless internet access, bottled water and a bathtub.
Wiang Inn Hotel Chiang Rai
Location: 893 Phaholyothin Rd, Tambon Wiang, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Rai, Chang Wat Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand
Features and why we recommend it:
This hotel is located in the city center and is 2 km away from the Wat Phra Kaew and 13 km from the Wat Rong Khun. It has more than 250 rooms, and each room is decorated with pleasing elegant northern Thai motifs. This hotel is perfect for those who want to stroll around the city.
Amenities include Chinese and European restaurants, a sundeck and an outdoor pool. There is also a piano lounge and a karaoke club. If you are travelling by car, the parking is free. Massage services are available. Besides the modern facilities for recreation and relaxation, there is also a convention room for seminars and conferences which can hold up to 500 guests.