Go off the beaten path to explore the very best of the northern cities of Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. You will delight in the mysterious Golden Triangle and hill tribe villages in Chiang Rai,and enjoy the sacred Doi Suthep, temples, and intimate experience with elephants in Chiang Mai.ah-tl-4
- Unveil the mysterious Golden Triangle and learn about the hill tribes' traditions and lifestyles.
- Explore the renowned temples in Chiang Rai including Wat Rong Khun.
- Breathe in the fresh mountain air at Doi Suthep and enjoy the superb panoramic views of Chiang Mai.
- Spend a pleasant day with the amazing elephants at Elephant Jungle Sanctuary.
Itinerary in Detail
Upon arrival, your guide and driver will greet you at the airport and drive you to your hotel. Use the rest of the day to wander around your hotel.
Venture into the Golden Triangle, which was the trading center for opium in the 20th century. You will encounter the borders of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos there.
Picturesque Laotian countryside views will unfold in front of you as you take a long-tail boat cruise along the Mekong River. Stop at Chiang Saen and explore the ruins of its historic ancient city.
Chiang Khong is one of the few places that Mekong giant catfish still exist. You will see hill tribes gathering there and trading (both legally and illegally) with Northern Laos.
Before returning to Chiang Rai, you will have the chance to connect with locals from the Meo hill tribe by chatting with them and observing their lifestyle.
After having breakfast, you will head to Wat Phra Kaew, which was the original home of the Emerald Buddha before it was moved to Bangkok. Visit Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong to see its large gold stupa.
Wat Rong Khun (also called the White Temple) is built with white glass. This delicate architectural structure with its quirky artwork is stunning at every level. Take your time to admire this breathtaking temple complex before being transferred to Chiang Mai.
A morning visit to a food and flower market is defined as being exciting and joyful - you can feel the vibrancy of the busy market and observe how the locals purchase their daily necessities.
After visiting Wat Suan Dok, you will be driven to Doi Suthep where you will start a pleasant walk. Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is one of the most sacred temples in Northern Thailand and you need to climb 309 steps to reach it. As you reach the summit, an amazing bird's-eye view of Chiang Mai will be presented. Return to Chiang Mai and take a rickshaw ride for an overview of this city.
You will attend a traditional Thai cooking class at Ban Boon Pratana House. You will begin by picking the ingredients before cooking your own home-cooked Thai dishes and savoring them at the end of the day.
You will depart from Chiang Mai for a 1?-hour drive to an idyllic countryside Karen village. You will spend a full day at Elephant Jungle Sanctuary, which protects elephants from being subjected to bullhooks, abuse, and commercial shows. Take the opportunity to feed, bathe, and play with these remarkable elephants.
After enjoying your lunch at a beautiful nearby platform, you can wash out the mud and tiredness in fresh, clean water. Make your way along the scenic trails to the Karen village and then go back to Chiang Mai.
Our Service Includes:
- Private transfers and English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- Hotel accommodation mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels and lunches for every guided day
- Governmental taxes
We have selected hotels with different styles and for different budgets. Let us know your preferences and we will help you find the right one.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights
- Tailor-made experience: All of your ideas/needs will be carefully considered to create your ideal trip.
- Worry-free planning: Every step of your trip, you will be looked after by your 1:1 travel consultant based in Asia.
- No-risk booking: We refund as much as we can and adapt flexibly to unexpected changes.
Get Inspired with Our Sample Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.