If Thailand is a pretty girl, then the Lantern Festival is her most beautiful time of the year. It would be a truly great experience to combine your Thailand tour with the experiences of Thailand's most spectacular festival.
With this 14-day suggested itinerary, you will start from the heart of Thailand, experience the most authentic festival ceremonies in Sukhothai, enjoy the romantic sky lantern release in Chiang Mai, discover the hidden beauties of Chiang Rai, and relax on the beaches of Phuket at the end.
It is an ideal choice for first-timers, culture fans, and aesthetics fans. Our personal travel advisor will be at your service if you would like to make any change to the itinerary.
Here are the awesome attractions, the most must-do activities selected by Asia Highlights (AH Hand-Picked), and exclusive cultural experiences offered by Asia Highlights (Only With AH) included in this tour:
Experience the most authentic Thai celebrations with locals in the city where Loy Krathong originated.
Find the relics of splendid medieval kingdoms in the north of Thailand.
Enjoy a premium ticket of the festival. Make a wish together with your loved one and let the sky lantern bring it to God.
Appreciate the exquisite temple with an amazing decoration of lanterns.
Learn to cook the fresh and delicious dishes of north Thailand with a local.
Indulge in the stunning colors of temples in the former capital of the Lanna Kingdom.
Take a kayak to explore a limestone cave on the sea, which has tide-limited access.
Learn how to make your own krathong (floating lantern) and release it the way locals do.
WOW! I’ve traveled Asia some & I must say Sharon & Asia Highlights made this trip so much more enjoyable and easyMore
Stephen Hollis, Aug 2023
Alisa has has been great to work with
Alisa with Asia Highlights has has been great to work with. Very friendly and responsive.More
Ana Rausch, Aug 2023
Using Sharon right now to book our…
Using Sharon right now to book our upcoming trip to Thailand. She has booked everything that we asked for. Has answered all of my inquiries, which has been many! Looking forward to having a great girls trip in ThailandMore
Tracy, Aug 2023
Thailand, Singapore, Bali
In Thailand, Tanny and Nori(Suparp), were both incredible! They were both fun, funny, and full of knowledge and made sure we got the full experience. They went the extra mile and always made sure we had cold bottled water and towels to cleanse our hands. In Singapore, Nicole was an absolute gem. She was so kind and knowledgeable and guided us in the right direction to make our day as enjoyable as possible. She helped us choose a top notch local lunch and coffee spot in China Town and taught us so much about the country! In Bali, Emon was an absolute joy. He was very knowledgeable and kind and absolutely made sure we were feeling comfortable and was willing to be flexible with us. He was fun to converse with and made our time traveling between destinations so enjoyable! I cannot recommend Asia Highlights enough! Accommodations, travel arrangements and guided tours were all a breeze.More
Cassi Thunker, Jul 2023
Very supportive ! I have received eticket for Sky Lattern Festival very fastMore
Chi?n Nguy?n Ng?c, Jul 2023
My experience in Chang Mai with Asia Highlights
I greatly enjoyed my experience with Asia Highlights for a trip I booked to Thailand.All of my interests were catered too. My guide in Chang Mai Gemma was excellent.I truly felt the soul of Thailand culture and Buddhism.More
Richard, Jul 2023
A pleasure to plan with
Well, this has been a painless and pleasurable process to find such a wonderful company. I had specific dates and places to be and Sharon worked with me diligently to refine the schedule and costs to suit my travel needs and budget. She informed me of a special tour on the dates I am to be in Thailand and I added that to my previous plans.More
Chris Williams, Jul 2023
Large multi-generational holiday in Thailand
The holiday was wonderful. Our guides, Mr Monchai (Bangkok), and Ms Tipagorn (Tippy) (Chiang Mai) were exceptional. Travelling in a large multigenerational group with many children requires patience and our guides truly understood that. Mr Monchai and Ms Tippy shared their extensive knowledge of the many wonderful places we visited, and were flexible to take us to additional places along the way based on discussions. While everyday was busy, having them greet us with patience and a smile truly made this a memorable holiday. The hotels we stayed at were equally wonderful and went above and beyond to celebrate not only my parents 50th anniversary but also celebrate 2 milestone birthdays that occurred. We will cherish this holiday for many years to come. We hope to use Asia Highlights again.More
CL, Jul 2023
I never used a travel agent in my life
I never used a travel agent in my life, but Sharon for Asia Highlights did a phenomenal job helping planning and coordination a family vacation. The best part of working with Sharon was that she maintained an open line of communication and provided answers to my question well within 12-24 hours. Additionally, Sharon was flexible and customized our vacation to my families needs. Overall great experience.More
Antione Barry, Jul 2023
Great company to plan a trip to Southeast Asia!
Sharon Haung has been wonderful to work with! Very patient and accommodating. Responds immediately given time change and is prepared, prompt, and professional.More
Debi Hinerfeld, Jul 2023
We took a 15 days trip (10 days Vietnam and 5 days Thailand …
It was an amazing experience the guides and drivers were there awaiting for us at each airoport for a transfer to the hotels also on time for all the tours all the guides were so lovely , very experienced and spoke very good English , one of the days on tour in Thailand I lost my phone in a temple in Bangkok mr chai went out of his way in a middle of thousands of visitors and managed to find an bring it back to me I found that amazing , also while on a trip I contacted Jason li out tour organizer few time via whatup and he replied and helped on the spot I recommend asiahilights 150% The quality of the service hotels the guides the drivers outstanding From start to finish ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ????More
SIMO el ghobar, Jun 2023
Wonderful Guides and Experience
Our large group arrived in Bangkok with Tanni as our guide. She was wonderful! An absolute joy to spend time with. She is knowledgeable, kind, and extremely funny. I don’t know what we would have done without her! After Bangkok, we traveled to Chang Mai, where Indy was our tour guide. She was a delight! She is kind, knowledgeable, and so patient. Our trip to Thailand was an adventure of a lifetime and these two women helped make it memorable. I would definitely use Asia Highlights for any future travel in Asia.More
Jessica Bennett, Jun 2023
Guide - Chai
We travelled from Vietnam to Bangkok and were blessed to have a guide named Chai. He was a superb guide and it is a pity we couldn't bottle him and take him home. He was very knowledgeable and an absolute gentleman. He could not have done enough to facilitate us and imparted so much knowledge about the Temples, Buddism and the History of Thailand in general. Not only did he give us a great overview of the past and current ways of living in Thailand but I also feel I came away a much better person having interacting with him. I will carry many of his teachings with me for the rest of my life and know that having met him was a very special blessing in my life.More
Customer, Jun 2023
Our guide Tanni was kind
Our guide Tanni was kind, knowledgeable, funny and beyond accommodating for our group. We felt like we'd made a friend and it enhanced our trip in the most positive way. Everything was coordinated perfectly which is not easy to do in a large traveling group. Excellent experience!More
Marissa Manson, Jun 2023
We are only on day 5 of our 15 day trip…
Our first stop so far was in Hanoi where our guide Trong was just so awesome! He shared about his culture and family life which showing us sites through a city tour. He was so funny making lots of jokes and always made sure we were having fun while learning about everything! He checked on us frequently even when we were no longer with him since we then went on a cruise in Halong Bay! Halong Bay and the cruise on Paradise Elegance went way above anything I expected. The scenery was breathtaking, the ship was so beautiful and clean with such fresh, good food! And I can’t sing enough praise for the staff who took care of us- especially Anna and Belle! They went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed every aspect from eating meals with Anna to every other detail with Belle! I highly recommend Asian Highlights to help plan these extraordinary trips! This already has been a trip of a lifetime and we still have so much more to see all thanks to Cathy!!More
Diane Creitz, Jun 2023
Tanni for the win!
14 of my closest friends and family descended upon Bangkok ready to see the town. Asia highlights and Tanni took us on a tour that changed our lives. We experienced so much everyday. Tanni was amazing! She did all the thinking for us, so we all could just be present and enjoy the moment. I can’t recommend this company, and especially Tanni enough.More
Megan McGlynn, Jun 2023
This isn't my first trip with Asia…
This isn't my first trip with Asia Highlights. They are great at helping me plan, working my requests into the itinerary, and booking it all. We travel with friends and just got back from a trip to Thailand and Vietnam. Albee did a great job with all the details and we had a wonderful time. We will use them for our next adventure!More
Katie Potesta, Jun 2023
Although we have not been our trip yet I wanted to still write a review based on customer service and the ease of booking. Alisa has been extremely prompt and responsive with planning our trip to Thailand. She has had great recommendations and guidance to add to our custom itinerary. Highly recommend using Asia highlights! -AlexMore
Alex, May 2023
I have never hear of this company…
I have never hear of this company before , and after reading all these reviews ,I decided to give it a try . The professionalism and communicative skill received by one of the agent , Sharon of Asia Highlights , convince me that She was the right travel agent for my trip in Asia . Very quickly she communicated with me and got all the detail of my desire vacation . Sharon made me a great itinerary with great experiences that I am dreaming to experience and I am looking forward to it . Thanks Sharon for been so great and crafting me a dream vacation with great suggestions.More
orge alvarez, May 2023
Coco Yang worked tirelessly to…
From the moment I landed in Bangkok, Ms Noi Ying was there to welcome me and get me settled into my hotel. We enjoyed several days together touring Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. In Chiang Mai, Mr Ekachai took my son snd I on an amazing trip to the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary and to visit a community Lanna home, gardens and a hands-on cooking class preparing an authentic Thai meal. Lisa arranged a last-minute speedboat tour of 5 breathtaking islands in Phuket. From start to finish, the guides exceeded my expectations!! Thank you, Asia Highlight!! Debbie WoodsMore
Debbie Woods, May 2023
Itinerary in Detail
The itinerary below is just a sample for a private tour. Your preferences design the real journey. We're ready to create a wonderful Thailand Lantern Festival tour for you.
Welcome to the Land of Smiles. Meet your guide at the airport and enjoy a private transfer to your hotel in Bangkok. You'll have free time to explore by yourself for the rest of the day.
- Get a quintessential impression of Thailand when listening to the monks chanting in Wat Pho, which is one of the oldest temples of Bangkok.
- Take a Tuk Tuk ride to the Grand Palace to experience the glorious history of Thailand.
- Continue with a long-tail-boat ride along the ancient canals of Thonburi to get glimpses of the local lifestyle.
- Stop at iconic Wat Arun, which was once the grand royal temple of King Rama.
- Cross the Chao Phraya River and we'll drive you to Chinatown for a look at Old Bangkok.
- Fly to Sukhothai, where the famous Thai Loy Krathong ('Floating Lantern') Festival originated. Upon your arrival, your private guide and driver will take you directly to your hotel..
- In the evening, head to the Loy Krathong Festival venue to experience festival celebrations with local people: see the different exhibitions, walk around open souvenir and food stalls, watch traditional Thai shows...
- Take a bike ride to explore the medieval ruins of the Kingdom (1238–1438). The solemn and exquisite Buddhas offer a feeling of timeless peace. Don't miss the only Buddha with open eyes in Sukhothai.
- Try your hand at crafting a krathong (floating lantern) during our specially arranged lantern-making experience. Once it is dark, head to the Yom River to release your lantern and make a wish as it floats away
- Enjoy the Loy Krathong Festival in the evening. The show incorporates Thai history, folk dancing, lasers, and fireworks and is performed from 7:30 PM in Sukhothai Historical Park.
- Drive to Chiang Mai in the morning. Stop in Lamphun to visit Wat Phra That Hariphunchai. Appreciate the beautifual decoration of the lanterns in the temple.
- Enjoy some free time after arriving in your hotel in Chiang Mai.
- Head for Doi Suthep mountain. Discover the most sacred temple in Northern Thailand — Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.
- Continue to Wat Suan Dok, a temple just outside the ancient city walls of Chiang Mai.
- Return to Chiang Mai and take a rickshaw ride through its busy streets and quiet alleys.
- In the late afternoon, you will be taken to the Yi Peng Festival Celebration and Sky Lantern Release venue and enjoy Premium access and benefits. Taste some traditional food, enjoy colorful performances, and release a sky lantern to make a wish at the most romantic moment.
- We'll drive you for about 1½ hours to Elephant Rescue Park — a paradise for homeless elephants.
- Take a half-day Memorable Caring Experience there. You'll learn a lot about elephants and interact with them — you can feed them, walk with them, hug them, and bathe them.
- You will get back to the hotel around 2 pm. Enjoy your free time to explore the old town of Chiang Mai.
- Today, you will have the opportunity to learn how to cook some of the most famous Thai dishes at Asia Scenic, one of the top cooking schools in Chiang Mai.
- Start with a local market tour to choose the freshest and best ingredients for your dishes. You will be guided by a chef throughout the process as you prepare your own meal.
- Finally, you will have the chance to evaluate your cooking skills by enjoying the meal you have prepared for a lunch
- Drive to Chiang Rai in the afternoon.
- Witness the "White Temple", Wat Rong Khun. It showcases unconventional and contemporary art within a Buddhist temple setting.
- Then visit Baandam Museum, which is commonly referred to as the Black House and is a popular destination. It serves more as a museum than a temple, although it does contain some shrines.
- Admire Wat Rong Suea Ten, known as the Blue Temple at the end. Despite being relatively unknown to tourists, it is considered one of the most picturesque sites in Chiang Rai.
- Enjoy your free time in the afternoon to walk around and observe the local people's daily life.
Fly from Chiang Rai to Phuket via Bangkok. Enjoy free time to settle in for the rest of the day.
- Enjoy a relaxing morning. Start our guided Krabi adventure at noon.
- Discover the hidden sea caves and lagoons of picturesque Phang Nga Bay. Hop on a canoe and your experienced guide will paddle you though dramatic lagoons and mysterious limestone caves.
- Learn how to create a traditional loy krathong using eco-friendly materials provided by our guide.
- When the reflection of shining stars dots the boundless crystal-clear sea, float your self-made krathong, and immerse yourself in the peaceful scenery and romantic moment.
Enjoy 2 free days in Phuket. Island-hopping tours and adventures in the rainforest are optional. You could just relax on the dreamy beaches.
Say goodbye to Phuket. Have a private transfer to the airport and catch your flights back home or to your next destination.
We have selected hotels with different styles and for different budgets. Let us know your preferences and we will help you find the right one.
Our Service Includes:
- Private transfers and English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- Hotel accommodation mentioned in the itinerary
- Flight mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels and other meals mentioned in the itinerary
- Governmental taxes
Tour code: ah-40
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 10-Day Thailand Lantern Festival Tour 2023 (Mini Group)
- 28-Day Grand Indochina Tour
- 15-Day Family Trip to Mongolia, China and Thailand
- 21-Day China, Laos, and Thailand Discovery
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 14-Day Myanmar and Thailand Essence Tour
- 10-Day Thailand Rain Forest and Beach Escape
- 9-Day Thailand Family Tour
- 12-Day Thailand Family Holiday
- 2-Week Southeast Asia Itineraries for Couples, Families, and More
- 2 Weeks in Thailand – 3 Perfect Thailand Itineraries
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2023/2024)
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2023/2024)
- How to Plan a Trip to Japan and Thailand
- How Long to Spend in Thailand: Itinerary Ideas for Families/Couples
- How to Plan a Trip to Thailand and Cambodia (2023/2024)
- Thailand Weather in January: Which Island/Best Places to Visit
- Thailand Weather in February: Which Island/Best Places to Visit
- Thailand Weather in March: Temperature, Places to Visit, Travel Tips
- Thailand Weather in April: Temperatures, Places to Visit, Songkran Festival
- Thailand Weather in May: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- What's the Weather Like in Thailand in June?
- Thailand Weather in July: Temperatures, Best Places to Visit
- Thailand Weather in August: Temperature and Best Places to Go
- Thailand Weather in September: Temperature, Best Places to Visit
- Thailand Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Thailand Weather in November: Which Island to Choose
- Thailand Weather in December: Best Places to Visit and Travel Tips
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.