When considering a Bali trip, you may want to know how much it would cost. Is it expensive?
Here is a breakdown of how much it costs for flights, hotels, transportation, sightseeing, food, and activities.
Is Bali Expensive?
Bali is not an expensive destination compared to other vacation spots in Southeast Asia.
- A private customized tour of the main attractions/activities in the south costs around US$120/person/day (2–4 people)*
- A private volcano and hot spring tour or a rainforest discovery tour costs around US$200/person/day (2–4 people)*
* Private guide, car, and driver, attraction tickets, activities, and lunch included
It is a cost-effective island for a tour partly because most of the best beaches, surfing beaches, scenic terraced rice fields, and sightseeing landmarks are in the central and eastern parts of the island within about an hour from the airport and main hotel locations by private vehicle at times of low traffic, so transportation costs and trip lengths are kept low.
Some of the best snorkeling/diving areas are also within this 1-hour driving radius. Some others of the best beaches, diving areas, terraced fields and waterfalls/sightseeing/hiking areas are in the northern and eastern parts of Bali within an hour and half to two hours travel time from the airport.
Moreover, Bali can suit all kinds of budgets, from economical to luxury. However, Bali is an expat enclave and has heavy tourism. So, this drives the prices up, but in the off season (November to March except during the major holidays), you can get better prices.
Get to know more details about the cheapest time to visit Bali>>>
Typical Costs for 1 Week in Bali
Prices are going up, but Bali remains very good value compared to Western countries.
- For a comfortable private tour (2–4 people): About 160–220 USD per day per person is typical with private guide, 4- or 5-star hotels, nice meals, and private transfers included. For this standard of vacation in the US, the average price is 500+ USD.
The typical cost for a person for a week in Bali is from 1,000 USD.
For more on planning a week's holiday, see How to Plan a Trip to Bali.
Comparison with Thailand
Similar to Bali, Thailand is also affordable for all budget levels. 2–3 plane journeys are generally needed for a classic Thailand tour from north to south (Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Phuket or Koh Samui), which makes traveling in Thailand slightly costlier than in Bali by 20–30 USD per person per day. A 10-Day Private Classic Thailand Tour costs around 2,000 USD per person.
The Cost of International Flights to Bali
The only international airport in Bali is Denpasar International Airport (DPS). The cheapest months to visit are October to March (rainy season). Airline prices from the middle of December to early January are high for the Christmas and New Year season. The most expensive months are from April to September, especially the Easter vacation period and summer holiday season (June to August).
Airline Ticket Prices from Major Cities to Bali (round trip):
- New York, United States: From 1,500 USD . Flying to Bali from New York requires at least one stopover.
- Sydney, Australia: From 800 USD. Flying out of Sydney can be non-stop.
- London, England: From 900 USD. Flying out of London requires at least one stop.
For more on seasonal differences in Bali travel, see Best (and Worst) Times to Visit Bali.
Cost of Accommodations in Bali
Here are the approximate costs for a standard 2-person room in Bali for 2024. This is for reference only (prices fluctuate quickly due to various uncertainties related to changes in the epidemic situation):
*Low season: November to March except for around Christmas and New Year
*High season: April to September, Christmas and New Year season
|Hotels||Low Season||High Season|
|5-star hotel||~US$120 and above||~US$180 and above|
During the busy months/weeks, we recommend you plan and book your accommodations well in advance.
Hotels are included in our itineraries and we can generally secure favorable prices. We recommend suitable hotels based on your budget, preferred location, room specification (e.g. no-smoking), and other requirements. Feel free to contact us.
For more on hotels, see: The 10 Best Luxury Hotels and Resorts in Bali.
The Cost of Eating and Drinking in Bali
- Budget: A meal in a cheap local-style restaurant can be as low as 25,000 IDR (1.70 USD or 1.70 EUR).
- Mid-range: A mid-range restaurant meal for two people with three courses costs about 21 USD or 21 EUR.
For our recommendations for food to try in Bali, tips on staying healthy, and some phrases to use in restaurants, see The 10 Best Bali Foods and Dishes You Absolutely Have to Try.
The Cost of Transportation in Bali
- Taxi: The price of a taxi in Bali depends on several factors. The taxi starting price is about 0.47 USD (7,000 IDR). For each additional 1 km you have to pay about 0.50 USD (7,500 IDR).
Traveling around Bali is usually by taxi or private transfer. It generally takes no more than 2 hours of driving from Ubud in central Bali to the most southerly beaches.
Public buses and scoooter/bike hire are obviously a lot less efficient, convenient, and comfortable. While you could save most of your transport costs, it would mean less time at the attractions and hence less value-for-money on your tour time, so we don't recommend them generally.
The Cost of Attractions/Activities in Bali
Beaches: Public beaches are free, but you may need to pay to enter a private beach. See Best Beaches in Bali: How to Choose the Right One for Your Trip.
Rice terraces: The less popular rice terraces are generally free to visit. The most popular ones such as Jatiluwih and Tegallalang have entrance fees of about 4 or 5 dollars for tourists. The ticket sales help locls to cultivate the land and build concrete paths for better access to the rice fields. See The Top Bali Rice Terraces: Which to Visit.
Tips for Saving Money in Bali
- Traveling during shoulder/low season (November to March helps to reduce airfare and touring costs substantially.
- Use bicycle/scooter hire. Take the public buses. Share taxi rides with others.
- The biggest tourist areas around Denpasar, on the southern and southeastern coasts, and around Ubud are the most expensive touring areas. For lower prices, you can go to the north coast, and the least expensive and least touristy area is western Bali.
- Eat at small, local, inexpensive restaurants called warungs for authentic and cheap Balinese food.
- Shop at fresh food markets for fruits and vegetables instead of supermarkets.
Touring Bali with Asia Highlights
All our tours linked above can be adjusted as much as you like. We aim to create your ideal itinerary based on your interests, group size, budget, and other requirements. Contact us for inquiries.
Get some inspiration from our Bali tours to create memories together in one of the world's best honeymoon and family vacation destinations.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 7-Day Private Bali Natural & Cultural Immersion
- 8-Day Private Authentic Bali Discovery Tour
- 9-Day Southeast Asian Escapade: Singapore and Bali Tour
- 11-Day Best of Thailand and Cambodia Tour
- 12-Day Romantic Bali & Java Honeymoon
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 13-Day Private Singapore and Bali Journey of Discovery
- 14-Day Singapore, Bali, Thailand and Vietnam Tour
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 16-Day Private Vietnam and Bali Journey of Relaxation
- 19-Day Vietnam, Thailand, and Bali Tour: Discover Southeast Asia Treasures
- 20-Day Siem Reap, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Bali, Phillippine and Taiwan Tour
- How to Plan a Trip to Bali
- How to Plan a 1–2-Week Itinerary to Bali
- Bali Honeymoon Trip Plan: Sample Itinerary, Romantic Experiences
- How Much Does a Bali Trip Cost? (Prices for 2024/2025)
- How to Plan a Trip to Southeast Asia 2024/2025
- How Long to Spend in Southeast Asia: Trip Itineraries from 2 Weeks to 2 Months
- 10 Days in Southeast Asia: 5 Perfect Itineraries (with Maps & Prices)
- Plan a 2-Week Southeast Asia Itinerary 2024/2025: Top 5 Itinerary Ideas
- Plan a 3-Week Southeast Asia Itinerary: Best 3 Itinerary Ideas
- How to Plan a Trip to Singapore and Bali 2023/2024
- How to Plan a 2-Week Thailand-and-Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- Bali Weather in January: Temperature and Best Places to Go
- Bali Weather February: Best Places to Visit
- Bali Weather in March: Best Places to Visit and Travel Tips
- Bali Weather in April: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Bali Weather in May: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Bali Weather in June: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Bali Weather in July: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Bali Weather in August: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Bali Weather in September: Temperature and Best Places to Go
- Bali Weather in October
- Bali Weather in November 2023: Temperature and Best Places to Go
- Bali Weather in December 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.