Experience a unique proposal, honeymoon, or anniversary celebration at one of Thailand’s most enchanting festivals.
Thailand celebrates two different Lantern Festivals including Yi Peng Festival where flying lanterns are released into the sky and Loy Krathong where floating lanterns are released onto rivers and other bodies of water across the country.
This tour will provide you an opportunity to experience the local culture and traditions of the Thailand Lantern Festivals, have a once-in-a-lifetime experience with your loved ones, and take some incredible pictures.
Why will you love this tour?
- Making a floating lantern (Krathong) together just as local Thai people traditionally do during the festival will create an unforgettable moment for you and your loved one.
- The lantern-making activity will take place at a beautiful and secluded restaurant overlooking the Ping River.
- Experience a memorable krathong lantern release without the crowds by releasing your lanterns via the restaurants' private river access.
- Try some delicious northern Thai dishes while enjoying the view of the sunset over the river.
- Experience a thrilling sky lantern release at the eco-friendly Chiang Mai CAD Khomloy Sky Lantern Festival.
Jagdish Sudan, from Canada
Itinerary in detail
Day 1Create and Release a Thai Krathong (floating lantern) & Riverside Dinner
Loy Krathong (the Floating Lantern Festival) is one of Thailand's most-loved festivals. During the celebration, Thai people make their own Krathong or floating lantern that is normally made from banana leaves and flowers. On the night of the November full moon, they will make a wish as they release their Krathongs to float down the river along with all their negative energy from the previous year.
To give you the opportunity to experience the local culture and traditions of Loy Krathong, we have arranged a lantern-making & releasing activity at a peaceful and secluded restaurant overlooking the Ping River.
At 4:00 pm, your private guide and driver will pick you up from your hotel and transfer to our selected restaurant. First, you will learn how to design and make a Thai floating lantern with traditional materials. Then you will have the opportunity to make your own lantern or to make the lantern together with your partner or loved one.
After creating your lantern, take a break to try some delicious northern Thai dishes while enjoying the view of the sunset over the river.
Once it is dark, release your floating lantern onto the river and don't forget to make a wish!
Day 2Experience A Thrilling Sky Lantern Release, Yi Peng Festival Celebration
There are several lantern release festival locations in Chiang Mai during Yi Peng (the Sky Lantern Festival). The Chiang Mai CAD Khomloy Sky Lanterns Festival is our preferred choice based on our own experience and our customers’ feedback in 2019.
In the afternoon around 4:00 pm, our private guide and driver will pick you up from your hotel and drive to the festival venue. Upon your arrival, you will receive some souvenirs and enjoy authentic Thai snacks, desserts, and beverages.
Afterward, you will experience the Lanna & Hill Tribe Cultural Exhibition and have the opportunity to join in different kinds of interesting cultural activities such as umbrella painting, lighting, and meditating. Enjoy the delicious Thai style buffet dinner at the special VIP dining area.
After the dinner, enter the ritual area in front of the grand pagoda. As you join the religious ceremony, you will hear monks chanting and meditating.
After the opening ceremony, you can light your own flying lantern, release it into the sky while making a wish. Enjoy the unforgettable experience of watching the sky as it is swarmed by the dim yellow lights of the floating lanterns. We provide the transfer back to your hotel after the celebration.
- About the Travel Date There will be two date options for the Chiang Mai CAD Khomloy Sky Lantern Festival 2020 including October 31st and November 1st, we will make sure you are there on the day you choose.
You can decide to create a krathong and have your riverside dinner on October 31 and then experience the Yi Peng mass lantern release on the 1st of November or vice versa.
- About the Yi Peng Festival Celebration There are three different kinds of seats available at the Chiang Mai CAD Khomloy Sky Lantern Festival including: Premium, VIP, and Standard.
This itinerary includes tickets for the VIP seats. Please let us know if you would like to upgrade to the Premium seats.
Guests who choose Premium or VIP seats will be much closer to the grand pagoda and have a better view of the religious ceremony. The Premium seats are located just next to the central stage and are the best place to take in the sky lantern release. The VIP seats are behind the Premium seats but are still much closer to the stage than the Standard seats.
Guests who choose Premium or VIP seats will have dinner at the premium or VIP area with a different menu than that of standard ticket holders.
- About Accommodation This itinerary tentatively does not include your hotel. However, we are happy to make a hotel reservation for you if you need it.