An important part of celebrating the Thai Lantern Festival, Loy Krathong, in Thailand is participating in the tradition of making your own Krathong, or floating lantern. While many Thai people buy their krathongs today, making your own krathong is a great way to learn more about the festival and get involved in the celebrations.
Seeing Bangkok with ease
In Bangkok, our tour guide, Ying, was wonderful. She navigated all the sights with ease, gave us interesting tidbits on Thai culture and history, helped us pick the right food at all the restaurants, and was just a pleasure to be around. We had a great time, and it was so nice to not have to worry about any of the details.More
Diane Elkins, Nov 2023
Thailand -insights, no stress and amazing team
My husband and my Thailand trip was fantastic, stress-free and educational thanks to the amazing team coordinated by Albee at Asia Highlights. The whole team was incredibly accessible, responsive, sensitive to our needs and lovely to work with. End-to-end, the trip was truly remarkable and the knowledgeable and dynamic tour guides and drivers made it especially memorable!More
AndrewsFamily, Oct 2023
Informative & Thorough / Thanks Sharon!
Sharon the advisor that helped me was so thorough & informative and explained the details of the tour including questions about visas and what is included vs what is not included in the tour packages. I would recommend them to explain tour packages that would fit the schedule of your pending travels.More
Chris, Sep 2023
Easy, fast responses
I worked directly with Monica in Asia Highlights. She was incredibly helpful and answered all of my questions quickly. Working with her made the whole process easy and we are so excited for our trip!More
Diana B, Sep 2023
Stress free Thailand
Alisa has organised our 14 day Thailand holiday for 2024 for my family & I. She has been very accommodating & super quick with all of our requests & we cannot wait for a stress free holiday! Thank you Alisa!More
Alana Mitchell, Sep 2023
Family Trip to Thailand-Cambodia
All of our guides were very nice and knowledgeable, but we have a special mention to our guide in Cambodia, Chan, he was very kind with us and it was very amusing. He went the extra mile for us. We really enjoyed our holidays!More
José Antonio Carrillo de la Pl, Sep 2023
Asia Highlights and Sharon
Asia Highlights, specifically Sharon, has been wonderfully helpful as we get ready for a 2024 excursion to Thailand. We are beyond excited, and much of that has to do with the personalized attention that we have experienced with Sharon. She has been extremely responsive, obliging, and focused as she helped us design a tailor made itinerary. All of our questions have been addressed, our needs have been met, and the path has now been set for a very exciting trip.... thanks to Sharon.More
Marcy Hoenig, Sep 2023
I was planning a trip to Thailand to…
I was planning a trip to Thailand to especially see the Lantern Festival this year for our birthdays!! It’s been on our bucket list, but we were completely lost on how to go about planning for our trip. We’ve never really booked tours before but Alisa was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, flexible and efficient in providing all the information we needed to make our decision on the best tours and tickets to purchase. Thank you so much!!More
https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/64d9a5a4657e4b39f768a21e, Aug 2023
I would definitely recommend Asia…
All of our guides were wonderful (Mr. Bank - Bangkok and Ms. Kai in Phuket & Khao Sok plus antoher guide who assisted in Koh Samui). Sharon took care of tours, private drivers, flights and hotels within Thailand and our trip went off without a hitch. The hotels were great and the transportation always arrived on time and with a clean,More
Guinevere Provance, Aug 2023
WOW! I’ve traveled Asia some & I must say Sharon & Asia Highlights made this trip so much more enjoyable and easyMore
Stephen Hollis, Aug 2023
Alisa has has been great to work with
Alisa with Asia Highlights has has been great to work with. Very friendly and responsive.More
Ana Rausch, Aug 2023
Using Sharon right now to book our…
Using Sharon right now to book our upcoming trip to Thailand. She has booked everything that we asked for. Has answered all of my inquiries, which has been many! Looking forward to having a great girls trip in ThailandMore
Tracy, Aug 2023
Thailand, Singapore, Bali
In Thailand, Tanny and Nori(Suparp), were both incredible! They were both fun, funny, and full of knowledge and made sure we got the full experience. They went the extra mile and always made sure we had cold bottled water and towels to cleanse our hands. In Singapore, Nicole was an absolute gem. She was so kind and knowledgeable and guided us in the right direction to make our day as enjoyable as possible. She helped us choose a top notch local lunch and coffee spot in China Town and taught us so much about the country! In Bali, Emon was an absolute joy. He was very knowledgeable and kind and absolutely made sure we were feeling comfortable and was willing to be flexible with us. He was fun to converse with and made our time traveling between destinations so enjoyable! I cannot recommend Asia Highlights enough! Accommodations, travel arrangements and guided tours were all a breeze.More
Cassi Thunker, Jul 2023
Very supportive ! I have received eticket for Sky Lattern Festival very fastMore
Chi?n Nguy?n Ng?c, Jul 2023
My experience in Chang Mai with Asia Highlights
I greatly enjoyed my experience with Asia Highlights for a trip I booked to Thailand.All of my interests were catered too. My guide in Chang Mai Gemma was excellent.I truly felt the soul of Thailand culture and Buddhism.More
Richard, Jul 2023
A pleasure to plan with
Well, this has been a painless and pleasurable process to find such a wonderful company. I had specific dates and places to be and Sharon worked with me diligently to refine the schedule and costs to suit my travel needs and budget. She informed me of a special tour on the dates I am to be in Thailand and I added that to my previous plans.More
Chris Williams, Jul 2023
Large multi-generational holiday in Thailand
The holiday was wonderful. Our guides, Mr Monchai (Bangkok), and Ms Tipagorn (Tippy) (Chiang Mai) were exceptional. Travelling in a large multigenerational group with many children requires patience and our guides truly understood that. Mr Monchai and Ms Tippy shared their extensive knowledge of the many wonderful places we visited, and were flexible to take us to additional places along the way based on discussions. While everyday was busy, having them greet us with patience and a smile truly made this a memorable holiday. The hotels we stayed at were equally wonderful and went above and beyond to celebrate not only my parents 50th anniversary but also celebrate 2 milestone birthdays that occurred. We will cherish this holiday for many years to come. We hope to use Asia Highlights again.More
CL, Jul 2023
I never used a travel agent in my life
I never used a travel agent in my life, but Sharon for Asia Highlights did a phenomenal job helping planning and coordination a family vacation. The best part of working with Sharon was that she maintained an open line of communication and provided answers to my question well within 12-24 hours. Additionally, Sharon was flexible and customized our vacation to my families needs. Overall great experience.More
Antione Barry, Jul 2023
Great company to plan a trip to Southeast Asia!
Sharon Haung has been wonderful to work with! Very patient and accommodating. Responds immediately given time change and is prepared, prompt, and professional.More
Debi Hinerfeld, Jul 2023
We took a 15 days trip (10 days Vietnam and 5 days Thailand …
It was an amazing experience the guides and drivers were there awaiting for us at each airoport for a transfer to the hotels also on time for all the tours all the guides were so lovely , very experienced and spoke very good English , one of the days on tour in Thailand I lost my phone in a temple in Bangkok mr chai went out of his way in a middle of thousands of visitors and managed to find an bring it back to me I found that amazing , also while on a trip I contacted Jason li out tour organizer few time via whatup and he replied and helped on the spot I recommend asiahilights 150% The quality of the service hotels the guides the drivers outstanding From start to finish ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ????More
SIMO el ghobar, Jun 2023
5 Easy Steps to Make a Krathong
1. Cut or slice a banana tree trunk. Banana tree slices are used to form the base of a traditional krathong. You can buy the prepared banana tree trunks before the Loy Krathong Festival.
2. Cut banana leaves and cover your slice of banana tree with banana leaves. Cut out a long strip of a banana leaf then wrap it around the edge of your banana tree slice so that none of the wood is showing. Similarly, use a circular piece of banana leaf to cover the bottom of your slice of wood. You can attach the leaves to the wood using pins, tape, or toothpicks. Now that your base is complete.
3. Cut out many long strips of banana leaves, fold the leaves into petals, and attach them to the base. Most krathongs are meant to resemble the shape of a lotus flower, but it's okay to get a little outside of the box. You can use traditional shapes like triangles and diamonds or test your creativity by creating flowers and other interesting designs.
4. Decorate the krathong with flowers. Flowers that are commonly used to decorate krathongs include lotus, roses, marigolds, and orchids.
5. Place a small candle and three incense sticks in the krathong. Add the candle by placing a toothpick into the bottom and then pinning it to the center of the krathong. You can directly pierce the incense sticks into the base. The candle and incense should both be standing straight up (if they lean it can cause your krathong to capsize). You can also put other things in your krathong such as coins, nail clippings, hair, and bits of old clothes.
Materials Needed to Make Your Own Krathong
Traditionally, krathongs are made from banana leaves and part of a banana tree. You can also make a krathong from bread and other biodegradable materials. We recommend making your krathong out of biodegradable materials so it doesn't damage the environment when released.
Here are some of the materials you will need to create a traditional Thai Krathong.
- A slice of a banana tree trunk for a base
- Banana leaves
- Wooden pins or toothpicks
- A candle and some incense sticks
- Decorative flowers
What to Put Inside Your Krathong
Besides the sticks of incense and candles, the most common things to put inside a krathong are nail clippings, hair, and bits of old clothes. These items are used by Thai people to represent the past self and all the negative feelings from the last year. Adding these to a krathong symbolizes letting go of past actions and thoughts.
Coins can also be added to krathongs as a way of merit-making and wishing for good luck in future years.
You can also add other personal items to your krathong that represent something important to you. These items can represent things you'd like to let go of or things you want to gain in the future.
Krathong Making Tips
- In order to make a loy krathong, make sure to completely cover the bottom and sides of your banana tree base with leaves so that it doesn't get waterlogged and sink.
- Likewise, you will want to make sure that your krathong is not too top-heavy and that your candle and incense are centered as to not throw off the balance.
- It's a good idea to do a float test in a sink or bathtub before heading out to a river or an ocean for the real deal.
- If you want help making your loi krathong, you can participate in a krathong making class. During the class, an expert will teach you how to create a krathong and also explain the meaning behind the festival. Classes also provide the necessary materials so that you don't have to worry about going out and finding them yourself.
More Things about Loy Krathong Festival
A krathong is a floating raft that is made from banana tree leaves and is used as a way to release bad luck during the Loy Krathong Festival. Loy Krathong is celebrated every year in Thailand in November by the whole country preparing their krathongs and releasing them on waterways, lakes, and oceans.
Krathongs normally contain personal items to symbolize the bad luck that a person is trying to release. They also contain incense and a candle which are commonly used in Buddhist temples as a way to honor the Buddha.
Krathongs come in many shapes and sizes and can be made from many different materials. During Loy Krathong, there are often competitions to see who can make the largest and most intricate floating lanterns.
There is a great deal of superstition surrounding these banana leaf rafts during the holiday. Many Thais believe that if the krathongs of two lovers float away together, their love will last forever. Conversely, if the krathongs separate or one capsizes or sinks, it means bad luck in the relationship.
Experience Thailand with Asia Highlights
Asia Highlights welcomes the chance to help you design your perfect trip to Thailand. Whether that includes experiencing Loy Krathong, Yi Peng, another festival, or just some time relaxing on the beach. Check out some of our example itineraries below for inspiration!
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- [Exclusive] 2024 Chiang Mai CAD Yi Peng Lantern Festival Tickets (with Transfer & Dinner)
- A 2-Day Romantic Thailand Lantern Festival Tour
- 8-Day A Unique Loy Krathong & Yi Peng Festival Mini-Group Tour 2023/2024
- 10-Day Best of Thailand Tour
- 10-Day Thailand Lantern Festival Tour 2023/2024 (Mini Group)
- 11-Day Best of Thailand and Cambodia Tour
- 12-Day Thailand Wonders Tour
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 13-Day Essence of Thailand Tour
- 14-Day Cultural Thailand Tour with the Lantern Festival 2023/2024
- 14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- How to Plan Your First Trip to Thailand — 7 Easy Steps
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How to Plan a Trip to Thailand and Cambodia (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a Trip to Singapore and Thailand 2024/2025
- Best & Worst Time to Visit Thailand 2024, Rainy Season? (Not when you think!)
- Best & Worst Times to Visit Thailand and Vietnam 2024, Best Month
- How Long to Spend in Thailand: Itinerary Ideas from 1-3 Weeks
- 2 Weeks in Thailand: 3 Top Itineraries for First-Timers, Couples, and Families
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Thailand-and-Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- Thailand Weather in January: Which Island/Best Places to Visit
- Thailand Weather in February: Which Island/Best Places to Visit
- Thailand Weather in March: Temperature, Places to Visit, Travel Tips
- Thailand Weather in April: Temperatures, Places to Visit, Songkran Festival
- Thailand Weather in May: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- What's the Weather Like in Thailand in June?
- Thailand Weather in July: Temperatures, Best Places to Visit
- Thailand Weather in August: Temperature and Best Places to Go
- Thailand Weather in September: Temperature, Best Places to Visit
- Thailand Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Thailand Weather in November 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Thailand Weather in December 2023: Travel Tips & Places to Go
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.