Explore the Endless Wonders of India
This 7-day golden triangle tour encompasses all of the essential highlights of India. On this tour, you will discover India’s grand capital of Delhi. Then journey to the Mughal city of Agra which is home to the magnificent Taj Mahal. Finally, bask in the fascinating colors of the “Pink City” of Jaipur.
This tour is ideal for first-time visitors to India and is especially perfect for travelers who want to have the most iconic experiences such as watching the sunset over the Taj Mahal or taking a rickshaw ride through a bustling bazaar in Delhi.
- Visit Jama Masjid, India’s largest mosque, and then take a rickshaw ride through the narrow lanes of Chandni Chowk, Old Delhi’s bustling bazaar.
- Explore the Colonial-era Lutyens’ New Delhi by walking along Vijay Chowk where you will pass by the impressive residence of the president of India.
- Visit the Taj Mahal, the world-famous mausoleum that was built with perfect proportions and exquisite craftsmanship.
- Explore the exquisite architecture of the Amber Fort’s various buildings that are elegantly decorated with latticed windows and colorful mosaics.
- Make accommodation part of the experience by staying in heritage hotels that showcase old world colonial charm or mansions once owned by royal families.
Itinerary in detail
This sample itinerary provides inspiration, yet your preferences design the real journey. Following our Tailor-made Guidelines to create a wonderful India holiday in your own way.
Day 1 Arrive in Delhi
Namaste! Welcome to Delhi, the capital of India. Our representative and driver will meet you at the arrivals hall and take you to your hotel. After check-in, you will enjoy the rest of the day at the hotel relaxing and decompressing from your long flight.
Day 2 Experience the Contrast of Old Delhi and New Delhi
Explore these vastly different sections of Delhi on a private guided tour. The tour includes driving past the Red Fort, observing worshippers as they pray at the sandstone and marble Jama Masjid Mosque, and taking a rickshaw ride through the bustling Chandni Chowk market which is a great way to absorb the lively sights and sounds of Old Delhi.
In the afternoon, go and see the Qutub Minar, where Qutbuddin Aibak announced the advent of the Muslim sultans. Then visit Humayun’s Tomb, the first great example of a Mughal garden tomb and also the inspiration for the incredible Taj Mahal.
Day 3 Delhi to Agra and Get your First Glimpse of the Magnificent Taj Mahal
breakfast and lunch
Today, you will leave Delhi in the morning and travel south to Agra in a private car (approximately 5 hours). Upon arrival, take a few hours to relax in the hotel.
In the afternoon, the sightseeing begins with a guided tour of Itimad-ud-Daulah’s Tomb which is a small yet elegant garden-tomb that is often called the ‘Baby Taj’. This 17th-century Mughal building was constructed with white marble and decorated with colorful mosaics and stone inlays.
Get the classic view of the Taj Mahal from Mehtab Bagh, or the “Moonlight Garden”, which is a beautifully landscaped garden built along the Yamuna River. The garden is located behind the Taj Mahal and is purposely shaped to offer great views of this world wonder. Watch the Taj Mahal as the sun sets and it takes on an orange hue.
Day 4 Explore the Shared Past of the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort
In the early morning, you will take a guided tour of one of the world’s most elegant and extraordinary buildings, the Taj Mahal. This beautifully constructed garden mausoleum was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. When visiting the Taj, you will be impressed by its perfect symmetry, the tall teardrop-shaped spires, and the Islamic garden of paradise.
Next, head to Agra Fort which is an imposing red sandstone rampart that contains an enormous complex of courtly buildings. The Agra Fort was where Shah Jahan was imprisoned by this son Aurangzeb. He spent the last years of his life here in an octagonal tower with clear views of the Taj Mahal.
Day 5 Agra to Jaipur and a Visit to the City Palace
breakfast and lunch
In the morning, drive to the photogenic city of Jaipur (approximately 5 hours) where many of the prominent buildings in the old sector of the city are painted a dusty pink.
In the afternoon, you will visit the City Palace which has been the home of the rulers of Jaipur since the first half of the 18th century. Part of this beautiful complex is open to the public as a museum that tells the story of Jaipur’s princely past through fascinating artwork and crafts.
The last stop today is Nahargarh Fort which is a stunning hill-top fort that sits on a ledge of the cliffs of the Aravalli Hills. Here you will enjoy an unrivaled bird’s eye view of the city at dusk.
Day 6 Explore the Amber Fort and Take a Cooking Class With a Local
You will start your day at the Hawa Mahal, or the “Palace of Winds”. This building’s ornate pink façade has become an iconic site in Jaipur and is a great place to take photos.
Then head to the Amber Fort. Sitting like a crown on the crest of a hill, the Amber Fort offers a panoramic view of Maota Lake and is known for its impressive architecture. Inside the Amber Fort, you can admire the Sheesh Mahal or Hall of Mirrors. The interior of the Sheesh Mahal has so many tiny mirrors that when a single candle is lit, its reflection is cast all around the room making it look like a starlit sky.
You will then go to the home of a local Jaipuri where you will learn about basic Indian ingredients and spices. Following the host’s instructions, you will prepare a meal of authentic local dishes and then enjoy it together. This cooking class will allow you to learn more about the lives of the locals and to exchange cultural understanding through food.
Day 7 Return to Delhi and Departure
Today you will drive back to Delhi (approximately 5 hours) via private car and you will then be transferred to the Indira Gandhi International Airport to catch your flight home. If you would like to stay in Delhi one more night, we are pleased to help you arrange accommodation.
Asia Highlights handpicked hotels
We have selected hotels with different styles and for different budgets. Let us know your preferences and we will help you find the right one.
We recommend experiencing some hotels with local traditions or features. For example, the palace hotels, heritage hotels, or nice resorts are recommended in India.
- Good location in the city center
- A nice garden view and a very warm service.
- Great architecture combining Indian and Islamic styles.
- About the Meals Many hotels offer buffets with a variety of cuisines from Indian to Italian and Asian. People who are looking to taste authentic local cuisine can try the restaurants specializing in barbecued tandoori kebabs and Indian naan bread. We also recommend trying out one of the many great restaurants that serve modern Indian fusion food. Let us know your food preferences and we’ll take care of the rest. Make sure to inform us of any allergies or dietary requirements in advance
- About the Car Transfers Between Cities
We will arrange private car transfers from Delhi to Agra and from Agra to Jaipur. Your guide will not be with you during the transfers. You will have different guides in different cities. Your driver will be able to speak basic English so there will be no problems with basic conversation during the transfers.
From US$1,331 p/p
based on 2 persons and 4-star hotels
Our Service Includes
- One-to-one consultancy with our travel expert
- English speaking local guides and comfortable vehicle
- Activities, hotels and meals listed in the itinerary
- A 24/7 helpline while you are traveling