If you're looking for ideas for an exotic family trip with your kids, you might want to check out our article...
Southeast Asia is a destination where both parents and kids can relax and be entertained in many ways as well as gain different cultural perspectives.
Two weeks is the Southeast Asia trip length chosen by most families with children. We cover more specific advice and planning tips for a 2-week family trip below…
Where to Go for a 2-Week Family Vacation in Southeast Asia
A 2-week trip could comfortably cover two or three countries in Southeast Asia. Visiting three countries is more popular.
2 Weeks for 3 Countries
For families traveling to Southeast Asia for the first time, the best travel combination for 2 weeks is Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
Thailand, without a doubt, is the most popular destination in Southeast Asia. It is a world of fun for children. Elephant Parks in Chiang Mai, cooking classes, jungle walks in Khao Yai National Park to find wildlife, Bangkok's “railway market” and long-tail boat experiences, floating houses in Kanchanaburi, and more are all activities that parents and children can do together.
Vietnam is a land of adventure with rustic charm. Parents can spend an exciting and fun time with kids kayaking, swimming, and exploring hidden caves in Halong Bay, going on a rafting adventure in Pu Luong Nature Reserve, taking a tricycle to explore Hanoi's Old Quarter for egg coffee, Vietnamese sandwiches, and other local food...
In Cambodia, take your children on a cultural journey to explore Angkor Wat and discover its charm and importance that has made it the emblem on the Cambodian flag. An ox cart ride could be also an interesting experience for your family trip.
Start planning your tailor-made tour now. Your 1:1 travel consultant will reply within 1 working day.
2 Weeks for 2 Countries
If you want a more relaxed travel pace, visiting two countries in 2 weeks is ideal.
We recommend these two combinations: 1) Thailand and Cambodia, 2) Vietnam and Cambodia. Thailand offers more vibrant activities, while Vietnam features slow-paced lifestyles and outdoor adventures.
Why not Thailand and Vietnam? Because Cambodia tourism focuses around Angkor, you only need to spend an extra two or three days to see its highlights.
So, we suggest adding Cambodia. Angkor Wat is indeed a sight to behold, which you will not see in other countries.
Or, if you have other destinations you’re interested in, like Bali or Singapore, you can contact us by sending your ideas, travel time available, group size, etc. We will make a tour plan to suit your family.
What Our Customers Said
Three weeks encompassing Vietnam
A special shoutout to our last guide in Bangkok - Ms. Ka-Noon who spoiled us with her kindness and then got us through check in and security for our flight home in record time at that huge Bangkok airport.More
Deby, Feb 2023
Three weeks encompassing Vietnam
Three weeks encompassing Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos. Albee Ning arranged everything perfectly. Not a flaw in the whole 3 weeks. Guides, flights (7 in total), hotels, private tours…everything was excellent. Travelling on a private tour gave us so much freedom to change our day if we chose to rest or go somewhere else.More
Deby, Feb 2023
Three weeks encompassing Vietnam
Asia Highlights is the way to go without any question. Next overseas trip will be booked with them for sure. Thank you for a wonderful and stress free vacation experience.More
Deby, Feb 2023
Over the last 5 years we've used Asia…
Over the last 5 years we've used Asia highlights twice. And both times we've had fantastic vacations. Would not want to do it any different when we travel to Asia from now on. Sharon was fantastic. She was a wonderful agent who helped us nail down our trip and make everything go as smooth as possible.More
Todd Atwell, Feb 2023
Family Trip to Thailand
Our trip to Thailand comprised three generations of the family , ten people and an age range of 4 to 70 so a potentially difficult brief.Our itinerary over two weeks involved four locations, and a number of different trips and tours.From out arrival at an extremely busy Bangkok airport Asia Highlights were terrific.In each location we were met by a smiling , knowledgeable and professional guide who simply made everything easy and stress free for everyone.Our transportation was clean and comfortable . Transport was always ready for us at the agreed time and the drivers were excellent.There were so many highlights enjoyed by all the age groups. The floating houses , railway market and elephant sanctuary were particular favourites.We had one minor glitch with the accommodation in Phuket which was immediately dealt with by Tip. I think we would have struggled to resolve the problem by ourselves. So, thank you Asia Highlights , Cathy, Tip and tour guides Tanny, Sam and Lisa. It was a memorable holiday and we will be back.More
Roger Pyle, Feb 2023
Family Trip to Thailand
So, thank you Asia Highlights , Cathy, Tip and tour guides Tanny, Sam and Lisa. It was a memorable holiday and we will be back.More
Roger Pyle, Feb 2023
Trip of a lifetime from Asia Highlights!
I recommend highly Asia Highlights as a travel company. Our travel consultant Albee took the time to connect with us during the planning process to make sure we were comfortable with our itinerary. When we arrived, we were met by our guide and all the details were attended to. They picked great hotels and tours. I often describe our trip as the trip of a lifetime! Would definitely use them again when we come back to AsiaMore
Nancy Parker, Feb 2023
Asia Highlights and Albee - highly recommended
Asia Highlights is very reliable agency and Albee is an amazing representative of the company. From the moment when we contacted her until our departure, the whole support we received was 6* level. She prepared our trip offer within few hours and afterwards she was extremely flexible to adjust as per our needs. In the period between the offer and the trip, Albee was always available for all our questions and supported us on the best possible way. During the trip she was again flexible to add new activities/transfers and this went on the smoothest possible way. Thank you, Albee and Asia Highlights. Definitely we will approach you again for our next Asian tripMore
AZ, Feb 2023
Itinerary Ideas: The Best 3 Options for Families with Kids
Here are the three most popular itinerary ideas for a SE Asia family trip. What we cover below are just samples. If you have any changes you want to make, just contact us. All of our tours can be modified according to your requirements.
1. Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia
This is the most chosen itinerary. It takes at least 15 days to cover all the major cities’ classic highlights and have some quality time for family activities like having a close encounter with elephants in a jungle in Chiang Mai in Thailand, a cruise on Halong Bay with swimming, fishing, and kayaking experiences, meeting locals in Mekong Delta’s villages, and enjoying a fascinating folk song performance...
- Days 1–2: Bangkok, Thailand, (arrival and city sightseeing — Grand Palace, China Town, a long-tail boat ride)
- Days 3–5: Chiang Mai, Thailand (meet elephants in a jungle, food and flower market, temples, a rickshaw ride...)
- Days 6–7: Hanoi, Vietnam (city exploration — iconic buildings, food hunting in the old town, water puppet performance...)
- Days 8–9: Halong Bay cruise with kayaking, swimming, and hidden cave exploration
- Day 10: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (city sightseeing — Vietnam War relics, city landmark buildings...)
- Day 11: Mekong Delta (a motorboat ride on the Mekong, visit local villages, watch a folk song performance...)
- Days 12–14: Siem Reap, Cambodia (Angkor Wat, an ox cart ride, visit a tribe whose territory was once a hub for the elephant trade)
- Day 15: Departure
This 15-day itinerary doesn’t include beach time. If you are looking for a beach holiday (aspect), you may need to add 3–4 days. See our 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
2. Vietnam and Cambodia
A trip to Vietnam and Cambodia takes at least 12–14 days. Vietnam is more suitable for parents who would enjoy some peaceful countryside exploration with some outdoor adventures with kids.
In Vietnam, with kids, you are recommended to spend more days on Halong Bay for more activities like discovering its beaches, cycling experience, and an onboard cooking class.
You'd also travel to central Vietnam to explore Hoi An Ancient Town, where you could try making Vietnamese lanterns with your children. There, you could also enjoy the sun on the beaches of Vietnam.
In Cambodia, besides Angkor Wat, there are more activities for kids and parents like hiking in Kbal Spean jungle and having a bike adventure to a tropical sunset viewpoint.
- Days 1–2: Hanoi, Vietnam (arrival and city sightseeing with a cyclo tour)
- Days 3–5: Halong Bay cruise with kayaking, cave exploring, and cycling experience
- Day 6: Hoi An town sightseeing with a Vietnamese lantern making experience
- Days 7–8: Beach time in Da Nang
- Days 9–10: Ho Chi Minh and Mekong Delta exploration
- Days 11–14: Siem Reap, Cambodia (Angkor Wat, a village quad bike ride…)
3. Thailand and Cambodia
If your kids like water sports such as snorkeling and would look forward to elephants more, then Thailand and Cambodia are more recommended.
A trip to Thailand and Cambodia takes at least 11 days.
In Thailand, children can expect a close encounter with elephants in a jungle. Parents and kids can have some quality beach time on Phuket and the nearby Phi Phi Islands, which are best for swimming and snorkeling. You can also try some new things like a Thai cooking class.
In Cambodia, visit Angkor Wat, take an ox cart ride, and enjoy a quiet time by a lake at sunset in Siem Reap.
- Days 1–2: Bangkok (Grand Palace, renowned temples, China Town)
- Days 3–5: Siem Reap (Angkor Wat and other famous cultural sites)
- Days 6–8: Chiang Mai (Elephant Rescue Park, a Thai cooking class, temples)
- Days 9–11: Phuket beach time and seaside activities
How to Choose a Southeast Asia Hotel for Your Family
In most Southeast Asian countries, their hotels’ standard and ratings are similar to Western countries’.
For cities with a strong night market culture, like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Hanoi, you could choose a hotel in the downtown area to make it more convenient to bring your kids to a night market.
If you want to have special and unique accommodation experiences, Thailand should be your target. You would need to go to some off-the-beaten-path places though, like Kanchanaburi, where you can find floating houses, and Khao Sok National Park with its jungle tree house experience.
If you have Phuket Island in your itinerary, you can choose different beaches to stay near according to your needs. For example, if you want a lively beach with various options for shopping, food, and entertainment, then we suggest you stay near Patong Beach. If you want a quiet environment, then Karan Beach or Kata Beach are two good options. See more on Where to Stay in Phuket — 16 Best Beaches in Phuket
Our travel advisors can recommend suitable hotels according to your specific accommodation needs, including location requirements, hotel facilities, hotel environment, etc. Just contact us.
Best Times to Visit Southeast Asia
Southeast Asia generally offers its best weather conditions from November to February, which is just perfect for a tropical winter vacation (in the northern hemisphere).
The Christmas and New Year holiday period is the peak season. Early booking is highly recommended. December 22 to January 3 is the most expensive time to go. Hotel prices can increase by 2–3 times.
Many luxury hotels and beach resorts often impose minimum-stay restrictions (usually more than 3 nights), and a compulsory dinner on the day of Christmas and New Year's Eve.
For more tips for a family trip to Southeast Asia in the Christmas / New Year holidays, see 20 Expert Tips for Christmas 2023
Summer holidays can be a cost-efficient time for a trip to Southeast Asia, because it is the rainy season. But, usually, this only means short afternoon downpours, with the rest of the day sunny. As a bonus, you would enjoy less-crowded beaches and temples.
>>>Best Times to Visit Southeast Asia, Worst Times, Rainy Season...
Costs for a Family Trip to Southeast Asia
A private tour is an affordable luxury in Southeast Asia, which with us would include high-quality and worry-free service and planning.
Here are the typical prices for a private tour in Southeast Asia for a general idea:
- $200–250 per person per day for adults and 30%–50% off for a kid younger than 10 years old, including 4- or 5-star hotels, a private guide, private transport, sightseeing fees, accommodation, and flights within Southeast Asia.
Thus, for a private family trip with 2 adults and 2 kids, the cost for a 2-week trip in Southeast Asia would be about USD 10,000 to USD 12,000. International airfares are not included.
Our private tours are the hassle-free solution to making family trip arrangements. Our private transfers are by far the most convenient choice for a trip with kids and much baggage.
With Asia Highlights, you could enjoy free tour cancellations (except your international flights from/to your country) up to 22 days before departure.
All our tours below can be adjust based on your family’s interests, hotel preferences, transportation needs, and other requirements.
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour — Quality Time Journey
- 19-Day Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam In-Depth Tour
- Or just contact us to custom-make your family holiday.
Tips for a Family Trip to Southeast Asia
1. Travel Restriction. Most Southeast Asian countries have lifted entry restrictions related to COVID-19, including Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia. Children or even adults who aren’t fully vaccinated can enter and travel freely.
2. Southeast Asia is warm all year around. Pack light, breathable clothing. If you have a trip to the jungle, be prepared with mosquito spray and some light leggings or long trousers etc. to cover your skin.
3. Southeast Asian food features many sweet and sour dishes that are popular with children for example, Thailand's mango sticky rice. There will be some spiciness. Ask the waiter about spiciness when you order and they may be able to make some dishes less spicy or suggest alternatives. Western restaurants are also easy to find if your children do not adapt well to the local tastes.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights During the Pandemic
- Tailor-made experience: All of your ideas/needs will be carefully considered to create your ideal trip.
- Worry-free planning: Your 1:1 travel consultant in Asia will take all the uncertainty out of your planning, helping you navigate any travel restrictions.
- No-risk booking: 100% refund policy! (prior to 3 weeks before departure, more details)
Get Inspired with Our Sample Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.