Marking the end of the monsoon season, October is the last month of the year when Cambodia receives high levels of rainfall. During this period, the whole country is full of lush, green vegetation, which makes it a good time to explore its scenic areas. Read on for typical weather in October in Cambodia, including average temperatures and rainfall, as well as travel tips on what to wear and best places to visit.
Cambodia Weather in October: Overview
- Average temperature range: 25–31°C (77–88°F)
- Average rainfall: 200–290 mm (8–12 inches)
- Average rainy days: 15–20
- Average sunny days: 5–10
It is warm/hot and humid in October. The average daytime temperature in Cambodia ranges from 25°C to 31°C (77–88°F) with an average of about 7 hours of sunshine per day in the main tourist cities and an average of 18 rainy days across different cities.
Cambodia Major Cities' Weather in October
|City||Min. Temp. (ºC)||Max. Temp. (ºC)||Rainfall (mm)|
Phnom Penh: In Phnom Penh, the weather is warm/hot, humid, and quite wet, like in Cambdia's other cities. The daytime temperature reaches an average maximum of 31°C (88°F) and a minimum of 24°C (76°F), and the rainfall remains high at around 267 mm (10 in). The city receives rain on an average of 17 days in October, with humidity levels reaching around 84%.
Battambang and Siem Reap: In Battambang and Siem Reap, the average temperature in October is around 27°C (80°F). Night temperatures fall to around 23°C (74°F), and daytime temperatures reach 30°C (86°F) on average. October rainfall in Battambang remains high at around 200 mm (8 in). There are typically 16 rainy days in October. The humidity in October is around 75%.
Kampot and Sihanoukville: the weather of Kampot and Sihanoukville is hot and humid in October. The average temperature in both cities are ranging around 27°C (80°F). Night temperatures reach 26°C (80°F), and daytime temperatures reach 30°C (86°F). October rainfall in Sihanoukville remains at around 254 mm (10 in).
The Best Places to Visit in Cambodia in October
If you don't mind the hot and humid weather conditions too much, October may interest you as the last month of the year when you don't have to join large crowds of visitors in the major tourist attractions. Here are some of the best places to visit in October.
1. Angkor Wat
Visit the Angkor Wat temples for a tour of one of the world's top heritage sites. Local tour guides can tell you the legends of the mysterious ruins, take you to awesome places for a photo session, and show you the best spots for viewing the sunset. You should be careful when visiting the Angkor Wat temples in October, because there might be sudden downpours. Come prepared with a raincoat, just in case it starts raining during your outing.
2. Phnom Penh
As the capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh is rich in ancient temples and museums, where you can enjoy shelter and history for long periods, even on rainy days. Spend a day to explore the Royal Palace complex and National Museum to appreciate the beauty of the architecture and learn more about the history of Cambodia. It is worth spending some time at the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek and Tuol Sleng Museum (the notorious S-21 prison) to learn more about the historical terror Cambodia suffered under Khmer Rouge rule. There are numerous fun things to do and see too in the capital city. See top things to do in Phnom Penh.
October is suitable for exploring Kampot's richness of waterfalls, mountains, and caves. Located in the south of Cambodia, Kampot is well-known for its beautiful scenic landscape and old colonial buildings. There you can explore the French hill station of Bokor National Park to learn more about its colonial history. Explore the ancient ruins at the Kampot Kampong Trach caves, or wander around the town's French-colonial and Chinese-style shop houses. You can also take a small boat on the Kampot river to cruise through the small town.
4. Kratie: Natural Beauty and Wildlife
October is a good time to explore Kratie, as the tropical province is as completely green in October as the rest of the dense northern jungle of Cambodia gets. The area encompassing Kratie boasts a big variety of flora and fauna, especially in the huge nature reserves, where monkeys, different species of reptiles, and rare river dolphins can be spotted. Spend some time to visit the Mekong Turtle Conservation Center and Phnom Sambok Pagoda if you have more time.
October is the best time to view the beautiful landscape of Cambodia as the downpours wash everything clean and green. There are numerous activities you can do in Battambang, including crocodile watching, birdwatching, biking around the villages, kayaking along the river, visiting the countryside, or taking a bamboo train to explore around the city. Read more about things to do in Battambang.
Crowding and Costs in October
October is the last month of the wet season, when Cambodia receives only a few visitors before it enters the peak season. Many 3-star and 4-star hotels offer fantastic deals during this month. Only a few of the most popular outdoor activities are open in the major tourist cities of Cambodia. You do not need to book a hotel in advance because, during this time of the year, Cambodia has very few visitors.
Clothes to Wear in October
During the daytime, when the weather is hot and humid, wear light clothes, t-shirts, shorts, and other summer clothing. It is recommended to pack some warm clothing, such as a jacket or jeans to avoid feeling cool on some evenings and early mornings, especially in mountain areas like Kratie. Rain mostly falls in the afternoon or late at night. A raincoat or umbrella is generally advisable to take if you are going out during this month, though.
Visit Cambodia with Asia Highlights
To help you with planning your October tour, our travel advisors will be more than happy to share their suggestions on when and where to plan the perfect trip.
Take a look at our popular tours today for inspiration and start planning your visit to Cambodia.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 8-Day from South Vietnam to North Cambodia
- 11-Day Best of Thailand and Cambodia Tour
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 14-Day Southeast Asia Adventure: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Indonesia
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 17-Day Indochina Delight: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 20-Day Siem Reap, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Bali, Phillippine and Taiwan Tour
- How to Plan a Trip to Southeast Asia 2024/2025
- How to Plan a Couple’s Trip to Southeast Asia 2024/2025
- Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Cost, Best Time, Places to See
- How to Plan a Trip to Thailand and Cambodia (2024/2025)
- How Long to Spend in Southeast Asia: Trip Itineraries from 2 Weeks to 2 Months
- How to Plan a 10-Day Southeast Asia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Thailand-and-Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Family Trip to Southeast Asia
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- Best (and Worst) Times to Visit Vietnam and Cambodia 2024
- Cambodia Weather in January
- Cambodia Weather in February
- March Weather in Cambodia: March Travel Guide for Cambodia
- April Weather in Cambodia & April Cambodia Travel Tips
- May Weather in Cambodia, Travel Tips for Traveling Cambodia in May
- June Weather in Cambodia: June Travel Guide for Cambodia
- July Weather in Cambodia: July Travel Guide for Cambodia
- August Weather in Cambodia: What Is Cambodia Like in August?
- September Weather in Cambodia: September Travel Guide to Cambodia
- Cambodia Weather in October
- Cambodia Weather in November
- Cambodia Weather in December
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.