There is only one scheduled domestic airline in Sri Lanka - Cinnamon Air. There are other small airlines that mainly offer chartered flights including helicopters, fixed-wing aircrafts and seaplanes.
Traveling around Sri Lanka by flight can reduce travel time significantly to your desired destination. Flying allows you to get from the east to west coast, or vice versa, quickly.
Sri Lanka Travel Restrictions for COVID-19 in 2022
To enter the country on or after Jan. 1, 2022, eligible travelers must
- Complete the online Health Declaration Form before departure.
- Upload COVID-19 vaccination record, pre-departure negative test and traveler’s passport data page before departure.
- Present a valid QR code that was issued by the Sri Lankan government upon arrival
Cinnamon Air’s fleet consists of two Cessna 208 Amphibian aircrafts and one-wheeled Cessna 208B Grand Caravan. All their aircrafts are single-engine turboprops, and typically seats eight passengers with a single pilot. There are no meals/drinks or other services on board since the flying time is short (within 1 hour).
Below is the information for baggage service on Cinnamon Air:
- Checked Baggage: Allowance is 23 kgs per passenger, an excess baggage rate of – US$ 15 per kg will be charged for baggage exceeding the regular allowance of 23 kg.
- Carry-on Baggage: Allowance is 5kg per passenger.
Asia Highlights Tips:
- Due to aircraft weight restrictions, sometimes passengers" baggage might be transferred by a later flight or through secured ground transportation.
- Be aware that Cinnamon Air is only authorized to fly between 7 AM to 5 PM, so there are no flights available at night.
Scheduled Flights Connecting the Main Destinations
||Non-stop flight time
||Kandy (Polgolla Reservoir)
Asia Highlights Tips: In addition to the above scheduled flights, Cinnamon Air also operates daily scheduled flights to Castlereagh, Sri Lanka using its amphibian aircraft, providing a swift travel option to popular tourist destinations such as Hatton and Adam’s Peak.
In addition to the splendor of Castlereagh Reservoir, flying with Cinnamon Air also allows travelers to experience landing on water, an exciting opportunity that is out of the ordinary.
Cinnamon Air operates scenic flights covering the popular cities and towns of Colombo, Kandy and Sigiriya.
Kandy Scenic Tour (depart from Polgolla Reservoir)
During your 20-minute flight, you will witness the magic of Colombo with its winding roads and rolling ocean waves. Start your tour from Waters Edge and watch the bustling life of the charming little towns of Moratuwa, Panadura, Wadduwa, Kalutara, Ratnapura, and Avissawella from up above.
Sigiriya Scenic Tour (depart from Colombo Domestic Airport)
During your 20-minute flight, you will discover the glory of the ancient city of Kandy from above and admire the surreal beauty of the Knuckles Mountain Range, Maduru Oya, Victoria, Galaha, and Peradeniya as you take a journey to remember with Cinnamon Air.
Colombo Scenic Tour (depart from Colombo International Airport or Waters Edge, Kotte)
The net price for each 20-minute scenic tour begin at US$ 125 per person, minimum of 4 passengers and maximum of 8 Passengers per scenic flight.
Asia Highlights Tips: Scenic flights originate and end at the above specified locations (depending on the scenic flight selected). Tickets for your scenic flight are only valid for the date, destination and passenger specified there on and all tickets are non- refundable.
Cinnamon Air is Sri Lanka’s only domestic air taxi carrier, offering private charter flights to locations throughout the island including Nuwara Eliya, Jaffna, Ampara, Kilinochchi, Bentota, and Anuradhapura.
Cinnamon Air’s amphibious aircraft capabilities allows travelers to transfer swiftly and conveniently from any aerodrome or water aerodrome in Sri Lanka, meaning that they can seamlessly connect inland and coastal destinations such as Nuwara Eliya and Bentota. The official website offers reference prices starting from $1,250.
Major Domestic Airports in Sri Lanka
Currently, Sri Lanka has 4 major domestic airports and around 10 smaller airports.
Bandaranaike International Airport is located in a suburb of Negombo, 32 kilometers (20 miles) north of Colombo. This airport has three terminals, Terminals 1 and 2 are international terminals and Terminal 3 is a domestic terminal. Most domestic flights depart and arrive here.
Asia Highlights Tips: Complimentary drinks (select soft drinks, tea, and coffee), washroom facilities, and Wi-Fi are available in the domestic terminal. However, food is not available in this terminal. Passengers may be able to purchase food in the International Arrival Terminal before arriving at domestic terminal.
Koggala Airport, in Galle, 14 kilometers to the south of Galle town. It was originally a Royal Air Force (RAF) Station (RAF Koggala). It is now the SLAF Koggala, used for domestic flights as well as for military purposes.
Batticaloa Airport, in the village of Puthunagar on the island of Thimilathiu, 2 kilometers south-west of Batticaloa.
China Bay Airport, in Eastern Sri Lanka, is an air force base and domestic airport. Located approximately 7 kilometers south-west of Trincomalee, this airport is also known as Trincomalee Airport and SLAF China Bay.
- The check-in counters for domestic flights close 30 minutes prior to the time of departure, and passengers need a minimum of 60 minutes at clearance. It is advisable to arrive at least 2 hours before to ensure a hassle-free check-in.
- Passengers could be asked to produce their ID cards / Passports and/or a printout of their e-ticket of travel at certain airports.
- Baggage scanners and personal scanning devices clear visitors and baggage at the terminal and other aerodromes before embarkation.
- Authorized security personnel are present at all aerodromes at any given time.
Visit Sri Lanka with Asia Highlights
Want to explore the ancient ruins and beautiful culture of Sri Lanka? At Asia Highlights we can plan your dream Sri Lanka trip complete with a tailor-made itinerary, private guide, and 24-hour customer service.