Although Japan is a small country, it has lots of high-quality attractions and cultural experiences, such as visiting the spectacular Mount Fuji, making sushi, seeing geishas in kimonos, staying at a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn), relaxing in onsens (hot springs)... It's an extremely ideal place for a bucket list trip, annual getaway, romantic celebration, children's birthday, or graduation gift.
To enjoy the main highlights in Tokyo and Kyoto, 7–10 days are enough. However, a trip of 2 weeks offers you a more relaxed travel pace and a deeper insight into this wonderful country.
Option 1: 2-Week Japan Itinerary for Families with Teenagers, Especially Anime Lovers
Japan is one of the most popular destinations for teenagers — a "youth culture paradise", with many children making a trip to Japan as a birthday gift or graduation present.
For a first family visit to Japan, experiencing anime culture, high-tech, and theme parks in Tokyo, soaking in the onsens and eating a kaiseki feast in a ryokan in Kyoto, and tasting mouth-watering Japanese food in Osaka cannot be missed. Besides these, zooming through the incredible Japanese Alps to explore a traditional Hida folk village in Takayama and learning the value of peace in Hiroshima are both popular for an insightful family trip in Japan.
All the cities in the following itinerary are conveniently connected by Shinkansen bullet trains.
Here is the suggested itinerary:
- Days 1–3 Tokyo (samurai, sushi-making, anime center, and Disneyland)
- Days 4–5 Takayama (well-preserved townhouses, sake and Hida beef)
- Days 5–6 Hiroshima (Peace Memorial City)
- Days 7–8 Osaka (Universal Studios and Cup Noodle Museum)
- Days 9–13 Kyoto (geisha, ryokans, try on kimonos and feed deer in Nara)
Sharon has been very helpful since the…
Sharon has been very helpful since the beginning coordinating our itinerary in order to accommodate everything we want to see, it been great working with herMore
May, Jul 2023
When I first book I was scared of what…
When I first book I was scared of what to expect, but oh my God! What an amazing experience this has been, from Sharon to all the guides Shawn and Mr. Ho, such amazing people! Their work is excellentMore
Saul Velez, Jul 2023
Albee was very helpful and responsive…
Albee was very helpful and responsive in helping me make plans for their 10 day Japanese tour.More
Bhavini Patel, Jul 2023
Alisa was a perfect tour consultant
Alisa responded to my numerous questions with efficiency and accuracy. She was constantly suggesting options to make the trip more enjoyableMore
Matha Goram, Jul 2023
I highly Recommend Asia Highlights
For our first guide Jun, he was amazing. Very accommodating. Kept in good communication & kept us on time for our activities. Reached out to me the night before to confirm meet times and locations. Our driver for this time was also so kind & driver was always on time. For our second Guide , Ho. He went above and beyond. He stayed in great communication. Stayed later with us on one of the days because we were worried about riding the train back alone but wanted to visit at the shopping center a littler longer, so he stayed with us and made sure we got off on the right stop! During our time with him he took pictures of us and sent them to us! He was very knowledgeable about every place we visited. He was kind and patient with our large group. He made our trip easy & memorable. The driver we had for this timeframe was also kind & always on time! We felt a bond with both guides given to us! If you want an easy going, stress free trip book with “Asia Highlights”!!!More
Jessalynn Flores, Jul 2023
Working to put together a custom trip…
Working to put together a custom trip with Alissa has been a great experienceMore
Marc, Jul 2023
Wonderful Service from Sharon!
Sharon at Asia Highlights has been a HUGE help in planning our trip to Japan later this year. From her initial contact to finalization of the plan, she has been very responsive, professional, patient, and knowledgeable. She was able to quickly propose an amazing itinerary and helped us customize it for our interests. She also made many great recommendations and gave us tips for the trip. I wasn’t familiar with Asia Highlights before I reached out, but after Sharon’s wonderful service, I have full confidence in them. I can’t wait for the trip and I hope it’s as awesome as Sharon’s service!!!More
Ali Tahir, Jul 2023
We had a wonderful time in Japan with guides Moni and Kazuko and with Jan in Singapore. Will always remember this trip!More
Happy Customer, Jun 2023
Just got to say
Just got to say, Monica was great in every way! So sweet and helpful with planning, itineraries, answering questions… would love to meet her in person! Thank you Monica!More
Teri, Jun 2023
Monica is fantastic
Monica is fantastic. She understood our needs, was very responsive and planned a perfect vacation for us. Highly recommend.More
Philip Sheldon, Jun 2023
Me and my son are traveling to Japan
Me and my son are traveling to Japan. Albee is magnificent. Extremely efficient, helpful, trustworthy. I am very happy she is helping us with my son's dreaming trip.More
Ana Letícia Urbanin, Jun 2023
A great way to plan a dream vacation
Due to circumstances, we had to delay our trip to Japan so this review is only about the process of designing the trip. Albee was always available, responsive to our goals, and competent. Based on how involved he was with our family trip, we know we will be back next year and resuming the plan he built. Really impressed with the quality and extent of resources we found through Albee and KimKim.More
KC, May 2023
Yeliz - Asia Highlights
Yeliz was extremely helpful and patient during our Japan trip planning and answered all my various questions. Really looking forward to our upcoming trip to Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kyoto and Osaka!More
Cyndie, May 2023
Sharon’s was very patient and helpful…
Sharon’s was very patient and helpful when navigating me through the trip planning process. She helped me plan a very exciting and extravagant trip.More
Jonny Abad, May 2023
Wonderful 10 day trip in Japan!!!
Well planned trip by Alisa . Everything was well scheduled, guides and drivers were excellent!! The cars were extremely comfortable and the hotel she chose for us was beautiful!! Enjoyed planning with her she was very professional and always offered other choices.More
Lianne Stone, May 2023
11 days trip to Japan
I am planning my trip to Japan in November with Sharon's help and she has provided amazing customer service.She is very responsive and put together very quickly an incredible plan for 11 days in Japan. She provided recommendations and made changes based on our interests and budget. She also provided information about visa restrictions and the best way to get tickets for transportation services. Thanks so much Sharon, looking forward to this trip!More
LE, May 2023
Hi Cathy! I just want to thank you for making our Japan trip so much fun & memorable! We loved everything that you had scheduled for us! All the guides and drivers were great & punctual! We love Japan so much that we’re planning to go back next year to different part of Japan! We’ll definitely contact Asia Highlights for our trip again! SereneMore
Serene Storslett, May 2023
Quick, easy and detailed service
Alisa was our advisor from Asia highlights and she prepared for us a wonderful 28 day trip to Japan, taking into consideration our needs and desire not to be traveling everyday and to have a mixture of slow and busy days. We've not yet taken our trip, but very much looking forward to it Thank you Alisa for the quick response and wonderful itineraryMore
Lynette Whittle, Apr 2023
Sharon Huang did an excellent job in planningour 15 day Cherry Blossom Japan tour. Shewas available during our trip to answer our questions and readily agreed to the itinerary changes.Everything was arranged - accommodation,breakfast, guide, car, entrance fees and train tickets. The guides were knowledgeable, and managed the tour very efficiently. The drivers were punctual and very patient. We visited must see places in and near Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. We also got to experience Japanese Tea ceremony, Sushi making, Sake tasting, shopping etc.We highly recommend Asia Highlights for your travel needs.More
Madhu, Apr 2023
I organized a trip to Japan for my
I organized a trip to Japan for my parents who don’t speak English and Alisa was so amazing helping make an itinerary for them. They needed a Spanish guide and she coordinated everything so they wouldn’t have any trouble when they got there. She was so patient changing and adjusting the itinerary to their needs and wants, it’s been a total pleasure working with her and she always responds promptly to any question I have. I definitely recommend this company and if you can ask to work with Alisa.More
Luisa, Apr 2023
Days 1–3: Tokyo
International flights to Tokyo offer the most options, so it is the top city for entry to Japan. As the capital of Japan, Tokyo also has many interesting things to do.
Take a day to explore Tokyo's highlights, including visiting Meiji Shrine (in summer most weekends, it's fireworks are awesome), sampling freshly-prepared sashimi at Tsukiji Market, and making sushi at a local home. For anime lovers, buy your favorite manga products in the anime hub of Akihabara and search for the rarest limited edition Pikachu cards in the Pokemon Center.
Suggested day trips from Tokyo:
- One day to Hakone to soak in onsens (hot springs). >>>The Top 6 Day Trips from Tokyo
- Spending a day in Tokyo Disneyland is a good choice as well.
- In winter (December to February) you can see monkeys soak in hot springs in Nagano, which is not far from Tokyo, or you can go skiing there too. >>> How to Plan a Family Ski Holiday
Contact us for more suggestions based on your interests.
Days 4–5 Takayama
Discover Japan's picturesque countryside away from the tourist crowds. Wander around the well-preserved townhouses of Takayama, stay at a ryokan (inn) with onsens (hot springs), and sample delicious Hida beef.
You could get more ideas about How to Plan a First-Time Family Trip to Japan>>>
Days 5–6 Hiroshima
Hiroshima, notoriously, was the first of two Japanese cities bombed with an atomic bomb at the end of World War II. Visit Peace Memorial Park and cherish the post-war peace.
Days 7–8 Osaka
Dotonbori is the best place to sample authentic Japanese food like takoyaki (octopus balls). Nihonbashi is the Osaka anime gathering place, or you could spend a day at Universal Studios and Super Nintendo World for some fun family time.
Days 9–13: Kyoto
Kyoto is the ancient capital of Japan, and shrines, geishas, and ryokans are some of the best parts of this incredible city.
- Visit Fushimi Inari Shrine and Nijo Castle to have a deeper understanding of Japan's history.
- See geishas in kimonos and their performances in Gion District.
- Try on a kimono for a family photo and stay at a ryokan with onsens to feel like you are in medieval Japan.
Day Trips from Kyoto:
- Spend a day in Nara. Feeding friendly and cute deer in Nara Park could be a great family moment.
- Uji is famous for its tea. Learn how to knead and bake tea in a tea house, and finally you could drink a cup of steaming tea made through your own efforts.
You enjoy 100% refund of any payments made to Asia Highlights prior to 3 weeks before departure (detail⇒).
Option 2: 2-Week Japan Classic Itinerary for Couples
For couples who want to discover rural life alongside the essence of Japan, this itinerary would be nice for those of you enjoying your golden age (though any couple looking for a relaxed pace Japan sojourn could make it their own). It allows you to travel at a slow pace without changing hotels a lot.
Here is the itinerary outline with more detail following:
- Days 1–4 Tokyo (Asakusa, Tsukiji Market, Samurai Museum and sushi-making)
- Days 5–7 Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa (well-preseerved townhouses, gassho-zukuri farmhouses and sake)
- Days 8–11 Kyoto (geisha, ryokan, shrines, feed deer in Nara and Arashiyama）
- Days 12–13 Osaka (Osaka Castle and Dotonbori)
Days 1-4 Tokyo
Tokyo is an energetic city, which combines history and modernity perfectly.
- Feel the old vibe of the Edo period (1603–1867) in Asakusa District, go to Sensoji Temple to pray for luck, and enjoy the beautiful scenery and a steaming tea in Hamarikyu Garden.
- Taste delicious food in Tsukiji Market: a world-famous fish market where you can taste freshly-prepared sashimi and watch tuna auctions if you get there early enough.
- Experience the incredible collection of armor, swords, and items belonging to samurai warriors throughout the ages in Samurai Museum, and try on their armor for a samurai photo.
- Shop around Ginza, Shibuya, and Omotesando, taking in its attractive modern feel, while browsing its high-tech and fashion.
Days 5-7 Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa
These three small towns have picturesque countryside views and are away from the tourist crowds.
- Takayama: Visit well-preserved townhouses from the Edo period, stay at a ryokan with an onsen, and taste delicious Hida beef.
- Shirakawa-go: View traditional gassho-zukuri farmhouses. If you go in January or February, you can see their beautiful wintry lighting.
- Kanazawa: Visit historic Kanazawa Castle, purchase gold-leaf products, and sample Japanese sake at a brewery.
Days 8-11 Kyoto
Kyoto is the ancient capital of Japan. To experience Japanese history and culture in depth, the top ways are to visit shrines, watch the geishas, and stay at authentic ryokans.
1) Fascinating Shrines
Fushimi Inari Shrine is the most famous shrine and a landmark of Kyoto. Kiyomizu Temple and Kinkaku Temple are great places to appreciate the ancient Kyoto atmosphere.
2) A Uniquely Japanese Experience
See geishas in kimonos and watch them perform in Gion District, stay at a ryokan where you can enjoy a high-class kaiseki repast, and sample sake at a local brewery.
Days 12-13 Osaka
Osaka is the second largest city in Japan, but spending 1 or 2 days there is enough to explore the lively downtown of Namba, sample authentic street food like takoyaki (octopus balls) at Dotonbori, and visit the outstanding Osaka Castle.
The above represents popular choice of attractions, but you can simply tell us your preferences and requirements, and we will customize a tour for you.
Check the best times for your romantic trip to Japan: for the most comfortable weather, for the lowest crowds...
Option 3: 2-Week Japan Itinerary for Cherry Blossom Beauty in Spring
Cherry blossom in spring (March to May) is one of the most attractive and well-known sights in Japan. A lot of travelers from Japan and abroad come specifically during this time to enjoy the blossoming pink trees.
Our itinerary allows you to capture the best pictures of spring cherry blossoms in the best places in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka and experience Japan during its peak travel season.
We recommend you make reservations at least 6 months in advance as the top ryokans and guides are easily get fully booked well in advance.
Here is the suggested itinerary:
- Days 1–4 Tokyo (Meiji Shrine, Asakusa, sushi-making, Japanese garden and Chidorigafuchi)
- Days 5–8 Kyoto (geisha, tea ceremony, sake, Philosopher's Path and feed deer in Nara)
- Days 9–10 Osaka (Osaka Castle and Cup Noodle Museum)
Suggested reading: How to Plan a Japan Cherry Blossom Trip
Start your amazing nature trip in Tokyo, the prosperous capital of Japan. During these 4 days, you can take a boat ride on the Chidorigafuchi to enjoy the cherry blossoms, visit some famous sightseeing spots, and participate in some interesting hands-on activities like sushi making or ninja crafts. You may also take a day trip out of Tokyo to soak in the onsen at Hakone.
For the next four days, head to culturally-rich Kyoto. Meander around Philosopher's Path to appreciate the cherry blossoms, see geishas in kimonos in the Gion district, and stay at a traditional ryokan for a night. Don't forget to visit Nara to see the cute deer and feed them.
Finish your trip in the flourishing trade city of Osaka by visiting the outstanding Osaka Castle and trying street food at Dotonbori.
Simply contact us to make any adjustments. Make this itinerary your own with Asia Highlights!
Option 4: 2-Week Japan Summer Family Vacation: Hands-on Experiences and Outdoor Activities
- Tokyo – Kamakura – Kawaguchiko – Karuizawa – Nagoya – Kyoto – Osaka
To take a good break from work and school, you and your children could spend a wonderful summer trip with the following experiences: immerse yourself in a ninja experience in Tokyo, take a light hike close to nature in Karuizawa, and have fun in lovely Ghibli Park or full-of-technology Nagoya City Science Museum in Nagoya, have a geisha dinner and feed deer in Kyoto, and make cup noodles in Cup Noodle Museum and enjoy the Osaka Aquarium in Osaka.
Here is the itinerary for your inspiration:
- Days 1–4: Tokyo (sushi-making, ninja experience, MORI Building Digital Art Museum)
- Day 5: Kamakura (giant bronze Buddha and Hasedera Temple)
- Day 6: Lake Kawaguchi (Mount Fuji)
- Days 7–8 Karuizawa (national park and light hiking)
- Days 9–11: Nagoya (Ghibli Park, Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology, and SCMAGLEV and Railway Park)
- Days 12–14: Kyoto (geisha, Gion District, Kinkakuji Temple, Nishiki Market, Arashiyama, and feed deer in Nara)
- Days 15–17: Osaka (Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan, Cup Noodle Museum, and Osaka Museum of Housing and Living)
Suggested reading: 3-Week Japan Itineraries: The 2 Smart Options>>>
How Much Does 2 Weeks in Japan Cost?
Although Japan is more expensive than other Asian countries, it is one of the cheapest destinations in the developed world. It offers high-quality accommodation, restaurants, attractions, and services at good value for money.
US$350-500 per person per day is the typical cost for a private tour with 4-star hotels, based on a family of 3–5 people. This includes a private guide, private car, full-day itinerary, tickets for attractions, all intercity transport within Japan, and hand-picked 4-star hotels. Thus, the total cost for 2 weeks in Japan is about US$5,000-7,000.
Suggested reading: How Much Is a Trip to Japan
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- Japan Weather in January 2024: Quiet Winter Month
- Japan Weather in February 2024, Where to Go & Costs
- Japan Weather in March 2024, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
- Japan Weather in April 2024: Best for Cherry Blossoms
- Japan Weather in May 2024, Where to Go and Costs
- Japan Weather in June 2023: Coolest Summer Month, Travel Tips
- Japan Weather in July 2023: Best for Festivals, Travel Tips
- Japan Weather in August 2023, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
- Japan Weather in September 2023, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
- Japan Weather in November 2023: Best Autumn Month, Travel Tips
- Japan Weather in December 2023, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.