Most travelers include more than one country when touring Asia, especially Southeast Asia. Some popular routes are China–Japan, China–Thailand, Thailand–Vietnam–Cambodia, India–Bhutan–Nepal, and Singapore–Indonesia (Bali).
If you are confused about the visa requirements of different countries in Asia, here you can get all the information you need regarding tourist visa requirements and restrictions for specific countries.
We have listed the information for 19 countries. Most countries allow easy visa-free entry or visa-upon-arrival for stays ranging from 2 weeks to 3 months for certain nationalities.
Click the country name below to navigate to your destination of choice or read them one by one.
Tourist Visa Guide to Some Popular Destinations in Asia
If you come from USA, Canda, UK, Australia, New Zealand, or Switzerland
|Thailand||Visa-free entry for 30 days|
|Indonesia (Bali)||Visa-free entry for at least 30 days|
|Singapore||Visa-free entry for at least 30 days|
|Japan||Visa-free entry for at least 90 days|
If you come from Demark,Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Russia, Spain, or Sweden
|Thailand||Visa-free entry for 30 days|
|Vietnam||Visa-free entry for 15 days|
|Indonesia (Bali)||Visa-free entry for 30 days|
|Singapore||Visa-free entry for 90 days|
|Japan||Visa-free entry for 90 days|
Thailand Visa Requirements
Citizens of 51 nations (including the USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and most EU nations) are eligible for 30-day visa-free entry on arrival in Thailand by air or land.
Staying longer in Thailand: If you wish to stay longer in Thailand, you can get a 60-day tourist visa before you travel: the cost is about US$40. You need to apply for it in person at a Thai embassy before you travel.
Passport holders from countries that are not eligible for the visa-exemption scheme may apply for a Thai visa by one of the ways below:
- Obtain a Visa on Arrival (VOA)
- Apply for an E-Visa online
- Apply for a Thai visa via a Thai embassy/consulate
You may want to read more detailed information about Thailand visa requirements.
Vietnam Visa Requirements
Citizens from 22 countries may enter Vietnam without a visa for various time periods.
- 30 days: Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar, Brunei, and Laos
- 15 days: Belarus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, and the UK
If you are from the US or other countries not in the list of visa-exempt countries, you must obtain a visa.
Phu Quoc Island is the only place in Vietnam that does not require a visa.
Three Ways to Get a Vietnam Visa:
- Go online to apply for the Vietnam e-visa, which costs US$25 and is valid for 30 days (the best option).
- Visit a Vietnamese embassy before traveling in order to secure a visa.
- Visa on arrival requires you to enter Vietnam by an international flight landing in Hanoi, Da Nang, or Ho Chi Minh City. The cost is about US$45 per person for single entry and US$65–95 per person for a multiple-entry visa.
Click for more information about how to apply for a Vietnam visa.
Cambodia Visa Requirements
Passport holders from the following countries do not require a visa to visit Cambodia:
- Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam (30 days)
- Philippines (21 days)
- Thailand (14 days)
If your country is not in the list above, you can apply for a visa on arrival or an e-visa.
A visa on arrival or a VOA is valid for 30 days and costs US$30.
If you are eligible, you can apply for an e-visa at the cost of US$37. The processing time is 1–3 days.
For more detailed information, see Visa Requirements for Cambodia.
Laos Visa Requirements
Passport holders from the countries listed below enjoy visa exemption for up to 30 days or could apply for an e-visa for a longer stay.
- 30 days visa-free: Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam
- 15 days visa-free or 30-day e-visa: Japan, Luxembourg, Switzerland
- 14 days visa-free or 30-day e-visa: Brunei, Myanmar
If your country is not in the list above, you can apply for a visa-on-arrival or an e-visa, excepting passport holders from the following countries, who need to apply for a visa in advance and cannot apply for an e-Visa:
- Afghanistan, Algeria
- Bangladesh, Burundi
- Cameroon, Congo
- DR Congo
- Ghana, Guinea-Bissau
- Ivory Coast, Iran, Iraq
- Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya
- Nauru, Niger, Nigeria
- Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Syria
- Zambia, Zimbabwe
Read more on Laos Visas and How to Apply.
Myanmar Visa Requirements
Passport holders from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand are given visa exemption for 14 days but are only permitted to enter via Yangon International Airport, Naypyidaw International Airport, and Mandalay International Airport.
Passport holders from Singapore are given visa exemption for 30 days when entering and exiting via the three aforementioned international airports.
If your country is not one of those above, you need to apply for a Myanmar visa. The easiest way to get a Myanmar visa is via the online e-visa system.
If you plan to enter Myanmar at a sea port or at a border crossing point, however, we recommend you apply for your visa at a Myanmar embassy or consulate, which is a cheaper and more flexible option than applying online.
Read more on Myanmar Visas and How to Apply.
Philippines Visa Requirements
Citizens of most nationalities do not need a visa to enter the Philippines, and this is inclusive of all citizens of EU countries, the US, Australia, Russia, and South American countries.
The visa-free period is 30 days. You can also get a tourist visa for US$30 for a stay of up to 59 days from the Philippines embassy before traveling.
Singapore Visa Requirements
Visitors from most countries can enter Singapore without a visa and are granted 30–90 days visa-free entry, depending on their nationality.
All EU citizens as well as those from the US, Australia, Norway, South Korea, and Switzerland are eligible.
Malaysia Visa Requirements
Visitors from most European countries (all European Union citizens, the UK...), North America (Canada, USA, Mexico...), South Africa, Australia, United Arab Emirates, etc. are not required to obtain a visa to visit Malaysia and can stay for a maximum of 90 days.
Send a free inquiry to check if you’re visa exempt for Malaysia.
Indonesia Visa Requirements
All EU citizens, US citizens, and citizens of most other nations can visit Indonesia without a visa for up to 30 days.
No extensions are allowed on visa-exempt entry. If you wish to stay longer in Indonesia, you can get a visa on arrival at the cost of US$35 for 30 days, which can be extended.
Japan Visa Requirements
Japan is going to restore the visa-waiver system from October 11th, 2022. If your country is in the list of Exemption of Japan Visa like Australia, Canada, USA, UK and almost all European nations, you can visit Japan without applying for a visa in advance.
Feel free to contact us to plan your dream travel.
China Visa Requirements
- Passport holders from Singapore, Brunei, or Japan were allowed to enter China for up to 15 days without visas for tourism or family/friend visits.
- Several biggest cities and popular tourist destinations, such as Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai, etc. provided a visa-free policy if you stayed or traveled around in designated regions for up to 72/144 hours.
- Passport holders from all countries will need to apply for a visa, whether for business or pleasure.
Read more on China Travel Restrictions and Travel Advisory.
South Korea Visa Requirements
From April 1st, 2022, Passport holders from 96 countries/regions, including Canada, European Union citizens, the USA, the UK, Singapore, and Japan, enjoy visa exemption to visit South Korea, but need to apply for an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) online. This usually takes less than 10 minutes.
Mongolia Visa Requirements
Ordinary passport holders from 26 countries and territories, such as USA, Canada, Germany, Israel, etc. enjoy visa-free entry to Mongolia for up to 90 days.
There are usually two ways to apply for a Mongolia visa:
- At one of the embassies or consulates of Mongolia abroad.
- On arrival at the airport or border crossing (for only 20 nationalities: United Arab Emirates, Denmark, Greece, Finland, Spain, etc.). This is only for short-term purposes, like tourism and transit.
Send an free inquiry to check if you’re visa exempt for Mongolia.
Nepal Visa Requirements
Everyone traveling to Nepal needs a visa, no matter whether it's a recreational trip, business stay, or other purpose.
There are two ways to get a visa to enter Nepal:
- Obtain a visa on arrival (only for Tourist Visas)
- Get a visa at a Nepalese embassy
Read more on How to Apply for a Visa for Nepal.
Bhutan Visa Requirements
If you’re from India, Bangladesh, or the Maldives, you can obtain a permit at the port of entry to Bhutan.
If you’re from all other countries, you need to apply for a visa before travel.
Unlike most countries, Bhutan visas are not granted by consulates and embassies. The immigration department in Thimphu issues them. It is a single-entry permit and can only be issued through a travel agent, who will arrange a Bhutan tour on your behalf.
A visa clearance letter is issued, which must be presented at the immigration desk upon arrival at the airport. The official visa is then stamped on the passport.
India Visa Requirements
Who enjoys visa exemption when entering India?
- Citizens of Nepal, Bhutan, and the Maldives (unless arriving from Chinese mainland)
- Citizens possessing an Overseas Citizen of India card or a Person of Indian Origin card
Visitors from other countries must apply for an India visa before arrival. There are in the main three ways to obtain a Tourist Visa for India.
- An e-Visa (applicable to more than 150 countries or territories including the USA, Canada, Australia...)
- A regular/paper visa issued by the Indian Mission
- A visa on arrival (for the citizens of Japan, South Korea, and the UAE)
Sri Lanka Visa Requirements
On the basis of reciprocity, citizens of the Maldives, Singapore, and the Seychelles are exempt from the requirement to obtain an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) for Sri Lanka. They may obtain a visa on arrival in Sri Lanka free of charge at any port of entry.
Citizens from other countries will need to obtain a Sri Lanka visa.
Citizens of the following 20 countries must obtain a visa in advance from one of the Sri Lankan diplomatic missions:
- Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Guinea-Bissau, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea,
- Myanmar, Mali,
- Nigeria, North Korea
- Republic of the Congo
- Sierra Leone, Sudan, Syria
If your country is not in the list above, you can easily get an ETA online. Sri Lanka uses the ETA to replace the need to apply for a visa label or stamp. ETA holders will be issued a 30-day short visit visa at the port of entry in Sri Lanka. This visa will be electronically linked to your passport number after you obtain the eTA online.
The ETA processing fee usually ranges between $20 and $50 per person, depending on your nationality and visa type. Children of any nationality under 12 years of age are free of charge.
Read more on Sri Lanka Visa Types and How to Apply.
Maldives Visa Requirements
The Maldives grants free tourist-visa or visa-on-arrival status to all nations of the world for 30 days. You don’t need to get pre approval for the visa as long as you meet the basic entry requirements.
- A passport or a travel document with a Machine-Readable Zone (MRZ) with at least 1 month’s validity.
- Pre-paid hotel booking or accommodation.
- Sufficient funds to last for the intended period of stay in the Maldives.
- Confirmed onward or return tickets for a home country or country of residence (not applicable to resident permit holders).
- Entry permission to your onward destinations, for example a visa.
- A Traveller Declaration must be filled in and submitted by all travelers travelling to and from the Maldives within 72 hours of the incoming flight departure. The form has to be submitted electronically via IMUGA.
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate, if applicable: Check the Yellow Fever endemic countries.
Read more on Maldives Tourist Visas.
Brunei Visa Requirements
Citizens of 56 countries can travel to Brunei without obtaining a visa. Visa-free stays range from 14 to 90 days depending on where you are from.
Visitors from the USA, UK, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein can stay in Brunei for up to 90 days without a visa.
Those from New Zealand, Turkey, and 7 other countries can stay for 30 days.
Visitors from Canada, Russia, and 23 other countries can stay up to 14 days.
Visitors from Australia may obtain a visa on arrival at Brunei International Airport.
Common Documents Required for Visa Applications:
Even though the required documents might be slightly different in each country, the common documents that are usually required are listed here:
- A valid passport. You must have two completely free pages in your passport, as well as 6 months of validity, typically.
- Two recent passport photographs
- A return air ticket or an onward ticket to another country
- Proof of sufficient funds, that is, documents to prove you have the financial means to support yourself during your entire stay in the country that you are going to visit
- Accommodation details
More Visa Tips
- Store a photocopy of your passport and visa separately or keep an e-version of your passport in your e-mail account.
- Plan your trip according to the length of stay specified on your visa. If you plan to stay longer, it is better to apply for a longer visa at the embassy in your home country.
- To obtain your visa on arrival, you will be required to pay in cash in the local currency or US dollars. Make sure you have the correct amount in advance.
- Visa on arrival or e-visas are often just valid for air travel. If you are entering a country by land or sea, check the visa requirements in advance.
- Information regarding visas is particularly vulnerable to change, so double-check when planning your tour.
Tour Southeast Asia with Us
We are experts at creating unique Southeast Asian itineraries. If you have any questions or requirements, please feel free to let us know and we will tailor-make a tour that is just right for you!
Why Travel with Asia Highlights During the Pandemic
- Tailor-made experience: All of your ideas/needs will be carefully considered to create your ideal trip.
- Worry-free planning: Your 1:1 travel consultant in Asia will take all the uncertainty out of your planning, helping you navigate any travel restrictions.
- No-risk booking: 100% refund policy! (up to 14 days before departure)
Get Inspired with Our Sample Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.