Take a real break from work and school this summer with a family trip to Japan. Immerse yourselves in the beauty of Japanese nature, history, culture, art, and technology while enjoying best-value experiences. Explore the secrets of Japan while bonding with your loved ones on the adventure of a lifetime.
Embark on an epic journey across Japan lasting over two weeks, visiting Tokyo, Karuizawa, Nagoya, Kyoto, and Osaka. Get to know local customs by crafting your own sushi, mastering the ninja arts, exploring animation theme parks, and shopping. And discover some of Japan's most historic attractions.
This is an ideal tour for first-time visitors and families. Sign up for your favorite part of the tour or simply treat the whole tour as inspiration, designing each element specially for you.
Experience peaceful and cooling nature during summer at Japan's top resort, famously adored by John Lennon and his wife Yoko.
Embark on an exhilarating journey to view the stunning panorama of Mount Fuji. Take the cableway and even set foot onto the majestic mountain itself.
Discover the essence of Japanese culture by immersing yourself in Nipponese activities from ninja craft to sushi making.
View priceless preservations of history, from the most iconic shrines and temples to castles and inns in ancient Japanese cities.
Step into the mesmerizing world of Japanese animation by exploring famous Ghibli Park and Akihabara with your kids.
Explore Japan's cutting-edge technology by visiting kid-friendly museums.
Travel in style and comfort with your family on the world-renowned Shinkansen high-speed trains for an unforgettable journey.
Feed the wild deer at Nara Park and share in the idyllic scenery.
Indulge in the delectable flavors of Japanese cuisine, and treat yourself to a mouthwatering culinary experience.
Savor the comfort of family-friendly accommodations all over Japan.
Alisa Liu is a star to work makes Asia Highlights even better
Alisa Liu was my contact person for Asia Highlights. She was remarkably punctual, she was thoughtful, and she handle an emergency on my end, with grace and patience. She recommended great hotels in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka Japan that put us in the center of the action. The guides she choose were personable, punctual a knowledgeable about their cities.More
Brent Zadorozny, Oct 2023
Started using Asia Highlights to plan my trip to Japan. Sharon was very helpful, giving me all the information I would need for the tour. I would definitely use Asia Highlights again, when planning another trip to Asia.More
Rachel Nelson, Oct 2023
Our airport pick-up went very smoothly. Our guide, Vivian, on the second day was very nice, very accommodating, took into account our preferences. In Osaka, our trip to the castle was a very long walk with lots of steps to climb and quite honestly wasn’t very interesting. But Dotonburi is a must-see and we enjoyed that very much.Our trip to Hiroshima was very memorable. I highly recommend it. Our guide, Etsuko, was very knowledgeable and kind. The trip to Miyajima island, on the other hand, wasn’t too memorable. Our next city, Kyoto, is a truly wonderful place to visit. All the temples we went to were very interesting and very distinctive from each other (Kinkakuji temple, Nijo castle, Sanjusangendo temple,Kiyumizo temple, Fushimi Inari shrine, Kasuga Taisha shrine, Tojaidi temple). The sake tour was a downer and wouldn’t recommend it.Our guide, Ritsuko, was a darling. She was very knowledgeable too and kind and warm and easy to talk to. Our last tour in Tokyo was a rainy day and Sue, our guide, was able to change our tour to the next day. She was so efficient and so accommodating and so kind and very knowledgeable too.More
Mrs Cristina Hidalgo Loris, Oct 2023
Very good tour of Japan
Very good tour around Japan for 10 days, including Tokyo, Hakone and Kyoto. Excellent guides and experiences. Albee, the tour organiser, was always available to sort out changes to itinerary or extra requests.More
Guy Slimmon, Oct 2023
Everything is good
All of the hotels were wonderful and our guides were super friendly, knowledgeable and flexible. We had a 10 day trip that included multiple cities and lots of different sights, we squeezed in as much as we could, including a 2 day hiking trip to Mt. Fuji (our guide Sun Nan was awesome!). Our guide in Tokyo, Jennifer, was lovely and our guide for 2 days in Kyoto, Dennis, was also super great. We did a food tour in Osaka with Vivian which was nice Sallie Fujimoto-SwunMore
Ideale Tran, Oct 2023
Thank you for the wonderful experience…
Thank you for the wonderful experience we all truely enjoyed. From the beginning (making first contact with Sharon from Asia Highlights) to the end (Saying good bye to our amazing guide Lilly) the experience was top notch. Great communication while preparing the trip and excellent local knowledge of our tour guide. I can highly recommend Asia Highlights and would not hesitate to use them again for our next trip.More
Dany Gruosso, Oct 2023
Vacations in Japan
The guides Jessie and Vivian were very kind and professionals and the drivers as well. In a future vacation we will get in touch with Asia Highlights without a doubt.More
Hilda Andrade, Oct 2023
Experience with Asia Highlights
This was my first time working with a travel agent to plan an international trip and because of the seamless experience I had, I have decided to always work with an agent when booking international trips. Asia Highlights did an amazing job in ensuring we found a trip that worked well for our budget and provided us with special experiences in Japan that exceeded our expectations. From travel logistics in Japan to lodging and activities, we felt taken care of. If I had known that travel agents were this helpful, I would have worked with them in my prior travels. I definitely plan to book my next trip to Asia with this agent.More
Adie Ballantyne, Oct 2023
Jason and Cathy from Asia Highlights…
Jason and Kathy from Asia Highlights did a great job for us. They were very responsive and professional. Hotel choices and attractions made for a wonderful first time trip to Japan.More
Norman and Mary Van Zante, Sep 2023
This was one of the best experiences in…
This was one of the best experiences in Travel that I have ever had... and I have traveled extensively. The reliability of the the driver and guide, the kindness each displayed (different people in different cities same result) and the flexibility to work with my family's requests was outstanding. I now wish for this experience where ever I may travel next!More
Donna Huck, Sep 2023
First and foremost, this review is based strictly on prompt response from Asia Highlights.I was browsing Asia Highlights website on the night of September 17th 2023 and really impressed of the positive reviews. So I decided to send an e-mail for an estimate of a private tour guide in Tokyo Japan for 6 days/7 nights including hotel accommodation for my 90-year-old father and I. I provided as much information as I can what areas of interest we would like to visit. I was really expecting a 72-hour delay response from Asia Highlights given time difference in California and Japan. The following day, I received an e-mail from Kate Long. Impressive! Kate provided a very detailed suggested itinerary with great consideration for my 90-year-old father. I truly appreciated her thoughtfulness! I will definitely reach out to Asia Highlights on our next trip! Thank you Kate!More
F K, Sep 2023
Perfectly planned and organized
Albee at Asia Highlights created a diverse, fun-filled itinerary for our trip. She listened carefully to our interests and made sure that we made the best use of our time in Japan. Our local guides, drivers and vehicles were excellent. Albee was always available to answer all my questions with a lightening fast response time. A very memorable experience and I would definitely book with Asia Highlights again.More
Carol Ann Paget Brown, Sep 2023
Sharon provided great service while…
Sharon provided great service while planning and booking our Japan trip! Unfortunately, we had to cancel due to family medical reasons. Sharon was very understanding of this and helped process the cancellation and refund in a very timely manner. When we are ready to book our trip again, I will certainly be reaching out to Sharon and Asia Highlights!More
Ali Tahir, Sep 2023
I just wanted to tell you how pleased…
I just wanted to tell you how pleased we were planning and coordinating our recent Japan trip with Alisa Liu. Alisa was responsive, answered questions in a timely manner despite our 15 hour time difference, and coordinated a trip for a 6 person multi-generational tour to everyone's satisfaction. (ages7-70!)We were particularly thankful for her help as 2 typhoons bore down on Japan during our stay. She helped us rearrange train and hotel reservations, and was able to get us a refund from a hotel that would not typically offer that. I have referred other friends to her with confidence.More
Berdine Bender, Sep 2023
Not only Albee was great! Each of our guides and drivers were also a joy. Daniel was our first knowledgeable guide who spoke excellent English and was so much fun throughout the day. Jeremy was our guide for the next few days and he also was fun, flexible, and had so many interesting tidbits to share with us throughout the day. Kiko was our guide on the next leg of our journey. She had such a joyful sense of adventure and curiosity that was such a hoot. Vivian was also professional and very aware to what our needs were in the moment. Tian was incredibly flexible and when our plans literally changed when he picked us up, he showed great flexibility and took us to some really fun places at the last minute that were some of our best experiences. And finally Charlie was our last guide and he was so thoughtful and consistently anticipated our needs. By the time we realized we might need something, he would already have it taken care of. All of our guides were so thoughtful and conscious of either making sure we got time to ourselves or of being available right when we needed them. They were each fun and had their own personal flavor that they brought to the experience. We are so grateful for the consideration and flexibility that Asia Highlights showed us consistently and would highly recommend them for anyone interested in visiting Asia. Thank you so much! It was an amazing trip!More
Leah Stine, Aug 2023
Alisa is awesome!
We have been looking to go to Japan for a long time. The food, the culture, and the rich history have always intrigued us. We tried many times to set up pieces of the trip on our own, but couldn’t put together a sensible vacation. Then we found Asia Highlights and Alisa! She helped us tailor a remarkable adventure to Japan! She answered our many questions and shifted our itinerary to maximize our time in each city. I highly recommend Alisa to help you put together the trip of a lifetime. We are looking forward to our journey!More
Mark Linn, Aug 2023
Sharon has been very helpful since the…
Sharon has been very helpful since the beginning coordinating our itinerary in order to accommodate everything we want to see, it been great working with herMore
May, Jul 2023
When I first book I was scared of what…
When I first book I was scared of what to expect, but oh my God! What an amazing experience this has been, from Sharon to all the guides Shawn and Mr. Ho, such amazing people! Their work is excellentMore
Saul Velez, Jul 2023
Albee was very helpful and responsive…
Albee was very helpful and responsive in helping me make plans for their 10 day Japanese tour.More
Bhavini Patel, Jul 2023
Alisa was a perfect tour consultant
Alisa responded to my numerous questions with efficiency and accuracy. She was constantly suggesting options to make the trip more enjoyableMore
Matha Goram, Jul 2023
Itinerary in Detail
We offer a diverse range of cultural activities to enhance your trip and leave a lasting impression. In addition, we provide opportunities to observe the wildlife in Joshin'etsukogen National Park, as well as feeding the deers in Nara Park - which considered by locals as divine messengers. We also visit several educational museums for an engaging and informative experience. Our itinerary is completely customizable based on your preferences for an unforgettable journey.
Konnichiwa and a warm welcome to Tokyo, the vibrant and dynamic capital of Japan.
Our private transfer service will ensure a stress-free, comfortable journey from the airport to your hotel. New and exciting experiences await you in Tokyo. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy Japanese hospitality with your loved ones.
Experience the most iconic attractions of Tokyo, and see the city from a unique perspective with a waterbus cruise on Sumida River:
- Immerse yourself in traditional Japanese culture with a visit to Meiji Shrine, a significant Shinto shrine. Witness traditional Japanese rituals and deity offerings.
- Embrace Tokyo's contemporary side in Ginza District, where upscale boutiques and designer stores offer an electric mix of high-end fashion, fine dining, and entertainment.
- Discover the natural beauty of Tokyo with a visit to Hama-rikyu Gardens, a serene oasis of winding paths in the heart of the city.
- Take a traditional Sumida River waterbus ride to historic Senso-ji Temple. Witness the bustling cityscape of renowned landmarks and stunning views of the city skyline.
- Finish the day with the breathtaking panorama of Tokyo seen from Tokyo Skytree — the tallest structure in Tokyo, with an impressive height of 634 meters (2,080 feet).
On day 3, we would learn the process of making sushi, and the basic skills of being a ninja:
- Discover bustling Tsukiji Fish Market, one of the largest in the world. Browse the market's stalls, interact with the vendors, and learn about Japanese culinary culture.
- Continue the adventure with a sushi-making class. Learning from a professional sushi chef, create delicious, nutritious, and aesthetically pleasing rolls. Then eat them!
- Activate your inner ninja with an interactive and immersive ninja experience that takes you back in time to Japan's feudal era. Learn secret, advanced ninja skills.
This day guarantees a unique experience for families who want to embrace the modern and trendy culture that Japan has to offer:
- Immerse yourself in the innovative world of digital art, technology, and entertainment with a visit to MORI Building DIGITAL ART MUSEUM: EPSON teamLab Borderless.
- Continue your exploration with a visit to the Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation. Also known as Miraikan, it exhibits space exploration and robotics.
- Lastly, embrace the fascinating pop culture of Japan by visiting Akihabara, the bustling hub for anime and gaming. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the Pokémon Center.
Take a daytrip to Kamakura, a coastal resort town just an hour from Tokyo, and witness the ancient religious heritage of Japan.
- Visit Great Kotokuin Temple. Its giant bronze Buddha statue of over 13 meters (44 feet) high is a national treasure in vast, serene temple grounds.
- Then visit Hasedera Temple. Known for its stunning statue of Kannon, the goddess of mercy, it offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area and Pacific Ocean.
- Next, visit Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, a significant, magnificent shrine founded in the 12th century with impressive architecture and tall, shady camphor trees.
- End your Kamakura exploring with Komachi Street, a bustling street filled with shops, cafés, and restaurants. Experience traditional Japanese cuisine and/or pick up souvenirs.
- Finish the day by transferring to Kawaguchiko — a mountainous area that offers exceptional views of Mount Fuji.
On day 6, we would embark on a journey to the beautiful Fuji Five Lakes and witness the majestic splendor of Mount Fuji:
- Start your adventure by visiting Kawaguchiko, one of the five lakes, and enjoy the breathtaking views of Mt. Fuji while you walk along the serene lakeside.
- Take the Kachi Kachi cableway on Mt. Tenjo for panoramic views of the lakes and Mt. Fuji, and visit beautiful Arakura Sengen Shrine, beginning the Mt. Fuji pilgrimage route.
- Next, visit Mount Fuji's 5th Station and Fujisan Komitake Shrine. Learn about the mountain's geology and history, and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
In the morning of day 7, we would drive 2 hours to Karuizawa. Along the way, you will see the beautiful countryside and the changing landscape:
- Your first half-day nature tour would visit Joshinetsu Kogen National Park. Your guide would show you lush green forest, beautiful lakes, streams, and wildlife.
A second half-day Karuizawa Nature Tour, this time on the Shinano-ji Nature Trail, would be a great way to explore the natural beauty of the area:
- The Shinano-ji Nature Trail is a well-maintained trail that runs through the central area of Karuizawa at 960 m (3,150 ft) to Mine-no-Chaya at 1,405 m (4,610 ft).
- Along the trail, you will be surrounded by the natural beauty of Karuizawa, including rivers, streams, waterfalls, and stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
Traveling from Karuizawa to Nagoya by train, experience the world-famous Shinkansen and see the diverse and beautiful Japanese countryside. Have a good rest after arrival at Nagoya.
On day 10, have fun in nationally-famous Ghibli Park, only about 45 minutes outside Nagoya city. The park is based on the popular animated films of Studio Ghibli.
On day 11, the visits would give you a great blend of educational and fun experiences. You'll get to learn more about the industrial and technological history of Japan:
- Visit the Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology, showcasing Toyota history and Japan industrial technology with interactive exhibits.
- After lunch, head to SCMAGLEV and Railway Park, about 30 minutes away by car. This railway museum that has a vast collection of trains, locomotives, and bullet trains.
- Finally, head to the Nagoya City Science Museum. It has lots of interactive exhibits, planetarium shows, and even a large-screen theater.
Head to Nagoya Station and take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto. The journey takes approximately 40 minutes.
After arrival, check-in at your hotel and have a rest before participating in a well-choreographed special dinner experience at a traditional tea house in Gion District. You will be treated to a feast of traditional Japanese cuisine while being entertained by a Geisha, who will sing, play musical instruments, and perform for you.
The day offers a mix of cultural, natural, and culinary experiences in traditional Kyoto:
- Enter Kiyomizu-dera Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and famous Kyoto temple. It offers a beautiful view of the city and has a history dating back to 778 AD.
- Then, visit Kinkakuji Temple, also known as Golden Pavilion as it's covered in gold leaf. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is in a beautiful garden with a pond.
- Have yourselves some local snacks at Nishiki Market. You'll find lots of interesting food stalls and shops selling anything from traditional Japanese candy to fresh seafood.
- Finish the day's visits at Arashiyama, a mountainous Kyoto district famous for its beautiful bamboo groves, Togetsukyo Bridge over Katsura River, and serene atmosphere.
On day 14, we would pay a visit to Nara Park, which is only about 45 minutes' driving from Kyoto, and later visit Kyoto's most popular shrine.
- Once we arrive in Nara, we'd head to Todaiji temple, one of Japan's most famous and historically significant temples, which houses the world's largest bronze Buddha statue.
- After visiting the temple, head to kid-friendly Nara Park, where you can experience feeding the lovable deer that roam freely throughout the park.
- In the afternoon, we'd return to Kyoto and head to Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, famous for its thousands of vermilion torii gates that line the trails behind the main temple.
Remember to wear comfortable walking shoes and bring some snacks for the day trip.
Check out from your hotel in Kyoto, and we'll travel to Osaka by private vehicle in around an hour:
- Once you arrive in Osaka, we'd head to the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan. This popular destination for families has a huge marine life variety: dolphins, whale sharks, penguins...
- Then, head to Cup Noodle Museum. Learn the history of instant noodles, see their manufacture, and make your own personally-designed instant noodles (ramen)!
On day 16, you would be able to gain a deeper knowledge of Osaka by visiting its classic attractions:
- Begin your day by visiting Osaka Castle Park, a vast area of greenery allowing your family to enjoy fresh air and nature and take pictures with a historical Osaka Castle backdrop.
- After visiting the park, head to Tempozan Ferris Wheel, which offers a panoramic view of the city and Osaka Bay.
- Continue your adventure in fascinating Osaka Museum of Housing and Living, displaying different housing found in Japan and lifestyles in Japan throughout the ages.
On day 17 of the journey, you will be departing from Osaka to head back home.
- Since the day is free and easy, you can sleep in or do some last-minute shopping.
- Famous shopping districts, like Shinsaibashi or Namba are recommended for traditional Japanese souvenirs, food, and clothes.
- You will be picked up by a private hotel to airport transfer to take you to Kansai International Airport (KIX) for your flight home.
Have a safe trip and we hope you enjoyed your family Japan adventure!
We have selected hotels with different styles and for different budgets. Let us know your preferences and we will help you find the right one.
Hotel with nice view of Mt. Fuji in Kawaguchi
Excellent hotel with open-air baths in Karuizawa
Centrally located hotel for family leisure in Nagoya
Family-friendly traditional local style Ryokan in Kyoto
Elegant hotel with swimming pool in Osaka
Our Service Includes:
- Private transport and personal English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- Hotel accommodation mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels
- Governmental taxes
Tour code: ah-jp-16
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 7-Day Japan Cherry Blossom Tour 2024: Essential Springtime Mini-Group Tour
- 7-Day Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka Tour
- 8-Day Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Osaka Tour
- 9-Day Japan Highlights Tour
- 10-Day Japan Cherry Blossom Spring 2024 Mini-Group Tour
- 10-Day Tokyo, Yokohama, Hakone, Kyoto, Nara and Osaka Tour
- 11-Day Traditional Japan Tour
- 12-Day Classic Japan Tour
- 12-Day Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka and Himeji Tour
- 2-Week Highlights of Japan in the Cherry Blossom Season 2024 Mini-Group Tour
- 16-Day South Korea and Japan Cultural Adventure Tour
- 16-Day Japan and China Discovery Tour
- How to Plan a Trip to China and Japan
- Plan a Japan Cherry Blossom Trip 2024, Dates and Avoid Crowds
- Plan a Family Trip to Japan 2024, Well-Selected Experiences & Itineraries
- How to Plan a Luxury Trip to Japan in 2024/2025
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Japan 2024, Cherry Blossom Time
- One Week in Japan: Top 5 Itineraries in 2024 for First-Timers
- 8-Day Japan Itineraries: 4 Ultimate Top-Theme Ideas
- 10-Day Itineraries in Japan: Top 5 Ideas in 2024
- 12 Days in Japan: 4 Best Itinerary Ideas for First-Timers
- 2 Weeks in Japan: Top 4 Itinerary Options
- 3 Weeks in Japan: Top 3 Itineraries for 2024
- How to Plan a 2-Week Itinerary in Japan and South Korea
- Japan Weather in January 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Japan Weather in February 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Japan Weather in March 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Japan Weather in April 2024, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
- Japan Weather in May 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Japan Weather in June 2024: Coolest Summer Month, Travel Tips
- Japan Weather in July 2024: Best for Festivals, Travel Tips
- Japan Weather in August 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Japan Weather in September, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
- Japan Weather in October 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Japan Weather in November 2024: Best Autumn Month, Travel Tips
- Japan Weather in December 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.