Take a real break from work and school this summer with a family trip to Japan. Immerse yourselves in the beauty of Japanese nature, history, culture, art, and technology while enjoying best-value experiences. Explore the secrets of Japan while bonding with your loved ones on the adventure of a lifetime.
Embark on an epic journey across Japan lasting over two weeks, visiting Tokyo, Karuizawa, Nagoya, Kyoto, and Osaka. Get to know local customs by crafting your own sushi, mastering the ninja arts, exploring animation theme parks, and shopping. And discover some of Japan's most historic attractions.
This is an ideal tour for first-time visitors and families. Sign up for your favorite part of the tour or simply treat the whole tour as inspiration, designing each element specially for you.
Experience peaceful and cooling nature during summer at Japan's top resort, famously adored by John Lennon and his wife Yoko.
Embark on an exhilarating journey to view the stunning panorama of Mount Fuji. Take the cableway and even set foot onto the majestic mountain itself.
Discover the essence of Japanese culture by immersing yourself in Nipponese activities from ninja craft to sushi making.
View priceless preservations of history, from the most iconic shrines and temples to castles and inns in ancient Japanese cities.
Step into the mesmerizing world of Japanese animation by exploring famous Ghibli Park and Akihabara with your kids.
Explore Japan's cutting-edge technology by visiting kid-friendly museums.
Travel in style and comfort with your family on the world-renowned Shinkansen high-speed trains for an unforgettable journey.
Feed the wild deer at Nara Park and share in the idyllic scenery.
Indulge in the delectable flavors of Japanese cuisine, and treat yourself to a mouthwatering culinary experience.
Savor the comfort of family-friendly accommodations all over Japan.
98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+
Wonderful 10 day trip in Japan!!!
Well planned trip by Alisa . Everything was well scheduled, guides and drivers were excellent!! The cars were extremely comfortable and the hotel she chose for us was beautiful!! Enjoyed planning with her she was very professional and always offered other choices.More
Lianne Stone, May 2023
11 days trip to Japan
I am planning my trip to Japan in November with Sharon's help and she has provided amazing customer service.She is very responsive and put together very quickly an incredible plan for 11 days in Japan. She provided recommendations and made changes based on our interests and budget. She also provided information about visa restrictions and the best way to get tickets for transportation services. Thanks so much Sharon, looking forward to this trip!More
LE, May 2023
Hi Cathy! I just want to thank you for making our Japan trip so much fun & memorable! We loved everything that you had scheduled for us! All the guides and drivers were great & punctual! We love Japan so much that we’re planning to go back next year to different part of Japan! We’ll definitely contact Asia Highlights for our trip again! SereneMore
Serene Storslett, May 2023
Quick, easy and detailed service
Alisa was our advisor from Asia highlights and she prepared for us a wonderful 28 day trip to Japan, taking into consideration our needs and desire not to be traveling everyday and to have a mixture of slow and busy days. We've not yet taken our trip, but very much looking forward to it Thank you Alisa for the quick response and wonderful itineraryMore
Lynette Whittle, Apr 2023
Sharon Huang did an excellent job in planningour 15 day Cherry Blossom Japan tour. Shewas available during our trip to answer our questions and readily agreed to the itinerary changes.Everything was arranged - accommodation,breakfast, guide, car, entrance fees and train tickets. The guides were knowledgeable, and managed the tour very efficiently. The drivers were punctual and very patient. We visited must see places in and near Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. We also got to experience Japanese Tea ceremony, Sushi making, Sake tasting, shopping etc.We highly recommend Asia Highlights for your travel needs.More
Madhu, Apr 2023
I organized a trip to Japan for my
I organized a trip to Japan for my parents who don’t speak English and Alisa was so amazing helping make an itinerary for them. They needed a Spanish guide and she coordinated everything so they wouldn’t have any trouble when they got there. She was so patient changing and adjusting the itinerary to their needs and wants, it’s been a total pleasure working with her and she always responds promptly to any question I have. I definitely recommend this company and if you can ask to work with Alisa.More
Luisa, Apr 2023
Trip to Japan. I have had the pleasure to book with…
For the reasons above, I decided to book again with Asia highlights for our trip to Japan this year in September. Until now it’s been a pleasure dealing with Albee Ning. She was so efficient and pleasant in adjusting our itinerary. Whenever I had any questions I could count on her to answer promptly. I am very lucky to have her as our organiser for our future trip to Japan. I have had the pleasure to book with Asia Highlights when we went to China in 2018. We were extremely satisfied with the exceptional services rendered by our organiser, Robert Hui and private guide William.More
Mrs Cristina Hidalgo Loris, Apr 2023
Albee Ning and Asia Highlights - wonderful to work with.
I and my daughter planned a trip to China and Japan. We worked with Albee Ning who was fantastic in developing a itinerary based on our desires and needs. She was extremely responsive, taking into account all of our requests and worked closely with us, it wasn't just selecting from one of several pre-developed itineraries. We decided to postpone the trip until next year and received the guaranteed refund, minus a small deposit on next years trip. We look forward to working with her again on next years trip and trips in the future. We highly recommend Asia Highlights and Albee NingMore
Nancy K, Apr 2023
Handcrafted tour of Japan by Asia Highlights
My initial inquiry to this company (based in China) was answered in under 10 hours by an amazing travel consultant, named Alisa. She is such a professional in the ways she conducts herself and serves her clients. Alisa is a great communicator and listener. She is very open to requests for additional experiences which require research on her part to arrange. Alisa also provides very detailed information about each experience, location, guides, private car transfers, trains, hotels. This approach is very appealing since detailed communication is so useful and important to me. Alisa also makes the process simple and easy to follow. Answered tons of questions and created the perfect tour for us. We are looking forward to this once in a lifetime visit to Japan and are so grateful we have had the chance to work with Alisa at Asia Highlights!More
Laurie Lee, Feb 2023
Great Overall Experience
Our guide in Tokyo, Fuki, was outstanding. We saw things we would never have otherwise seen, if Fuki had not been there.More
Todd Hankinson, Dec 2022
Plenty of options and personalized tours as needed
Monica Mo was very helpful from the beginning after I enquired about my travel plans to Japan. She listened with understanding and took careful notes and clarified things to make sure she got everything.More
Ginybel Belgira, Sep 2022
Asia Highlights especially Ms. Kanae Chida superb
Asia Highlights and particularly our Tokyo guide, Ms. Kanae Chida, were the best. When Kanae met us, she asked for details of what we wished to see and she constructed an outstanding combination of visits for the day.More
Geoff Rayner-Canham, May 2019
I have arranged a 27 day tour of China, Japan and Hong Kong China
Peggie's English is impeccable and she uses lots of nuances which usually only a native English speaker would know. I have found her very prompt in responding to emails and her knowledge is terrific.More
Ailsa West, Jul 2018
Very professional, great customer service
We travelled to Japan this May (2018). We had contacted Asia Highlights to organise our trip for us. Miss Peggie Lyoo was very helpful, super-friendly, very professional and very prompt with all her replies!More
Tibor Marton, May 2018
Great job!! We had an amazing vacation to Japan. We will use Asian highlights for all of our trips to AsiaMore
Joe, May 2018
In addition, I want to specifically mention the guides provided in certain locations. Rum, in Siem Reap, made the most memorable experience possible. His positivity was contagious - even when it felt like 1000 degrees and we were tired. He brought it all to life, and created a couple days of Ankor Wat, etc. that we will never forget! He heard my daughter's request for specific Cambodian food, and changed our itinerary to go to a village and eat at a locally known shop. He brought the dessert she asked about to us in the car! Overall, he and his driver "Lucky" were a reason to go to Siem Reap. In addition, the other guides (minus one which was switched out immediately) were stupendous. Mon in Bangkok was friendly and provided a great day there; Eak in Chiang Mai gave us a world-class food-tour and day touring the city and its surrounding temples with lots of laughs; Tommy in Hanoi kept us from getting killed in the traffic and gave a stupendous food and architecture/history tour - so very friendly and funny; the fishing village tour in Hoi An, as well as the side-car tour in Saigon, were both unforgettable! Thank you Sharon, and Asia Highlights. Would definitely use again for future trips!More
Teri Simpson, Apr 2023
Cambodia and Vietnam adventure!
Our guide in Cambodia, Meas Darapolaith (Pol), was absolutely amazing. He was knowledgeable, friendly and so helpful. His English was excellent and he shared important insights about history and the magnificent sites we visited. We highly recommend him!More
Jennifer Roth Krieger, Apr 2023
My daughter and I wanted to discover SE…
My daughter and I wanted to discover SE Asia. Being the first in that region, we wanted to use a tour service company. We ended up using Asia Highlights. From the beginning we were impressed with their services. We left home with of mind because all the pre-travel arrangements were taking care and communicate to us efficiently. All our questions were answered promptly. Once in the countries, we were welcome by our excellent tour guides. Everything was taking care for us. We did not have one issue. They selected the right tours guides for us, they were highly knowledgeable and so much attentive to our needs. We had Dhat in Vietnam and Borin in Siem Reap, Cambodia. I highly recommend Asia Highlights. I came back home so much rested, and with plenty of wonderful pictures and memories. I will definitely use Asia Highlights again for my next trip to Asia.More
Isabelle Dessaux, Apr 2023
Fabulous tour and guide in Cambodia
We have been touring Cambodia, guided by Borin ( and driver 007) for the last 2 days. What a fabulous experience! Borin has been a wonderful guide, the best so far in Southeast Asia, explaining the history and culture of Cambodia through his tours of the temples in and around Angkor, as well as the Landmine museum. He has answered all our questions, made sure we were comfortable, and that we have had great food. 007 made sure we always had enough water and cool towels for our face/neck.We highly recommend Borin as a tour guide for Cambodia!!More
Monica, Mar 2023
Best Travel Service for Asia Travel
Alisa Liu was in charge of making the arrangements and she helped us from the start to make all of the arrangements and also helped us when we had questions and requested some adjustments. Her service is of the highest professional level. We are 100% confident that our trip will be perfect. We’re also 100% confident that, if anything comes up during our trip, that Alisa will be there to guide us through and take care of us. We won’t even consider using another agency for travel around Asia and we would like to have Alisa work for us again.More
Leo Pospichal, Mar 2023
Itinerary in Detail
We offer a diverse range of cultural activities to enhance your trip and leave a lasting impression. In addition, we provide opportunities to observe the wildlife in Joshin'etsukogen National Park, as well as feeding the deers in Nara Park - which considered by locals as divine messengers. We also visit several educational museums for an engaging and informative experience. Our itinerary is completely customizable based on your preferences for an unforgettable journey.
Konnichiwa and a warm welcome to Tokyo, the vibrant and dynamic capital of Japan.
Our private transfer service will ensure a stress-free, comfortable journey from the airport to your hotel. New and exciting experiences await you in Tokyo. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy Japanese hospitality with your loved ones.
Experience the most iconic attractions of Tokyo, and see the city from a unique perspective with a waterbus cruise on Sumida River:
- Immerse yourself in traditional Japanese culture with a visit to Meiji Shrine, a significant Shinto shrine. Witness traditional Japanese rituals and deity offerings.
- Embrace Tokyo's contemporary side in Ginza District, where upscale boutiques and designer stores offer an electric mix of high-end fashion, fine dining, and entertainment.
- Discover the natural beauty of Tokyo with a visit to Hama-rikyu Gardens, a serene oasis of winding paths in the heart of the city.
- Take a traditional Sumida River waterbus ride to historic Senso-ji Temple. Witness the bustling cityscape of renowned landmarks and stunning views of the city skyline.
- Finish the day with the breathtaking panorama of Tokyo seen from Tokyo Skytree — the tallest structure in Tokyo, with an impressive height of 634 meters (2,080 feet).
On day 3, we would learn the process of making sushi, and the basic skills of being a ninja:
- Discover bustling Tsukiji Fish Market, one of the largest in the world. Browse the market's stalls, interact with the vendors, and learn about Japanese culinary culture.
- Continue the adventure with a sushi-making class. Learning from a professional sushi chef, create delicious, nutritious, and aesthetically pleasing rolls. Then eat them!
- Activate your inner ninja with an interactive and immersive ninja experience that takes you back in time to Japan's feudal era. Learn secret, advanced ninja skills.
This day guarantees a unique experience for families who want to embrace the modern and trendy culture that Japan has to offer:
- Immerse yourself in the innovative world of digital art, technology, and entertainment with a visit to MORI Building DIGITAL ART MUSEUM: EPSON teamLab Borderless.
- Continue your exploration with a visit to the Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation. Also known as Miraikan, it exhibits space exploration and robotics.
- Lastly, embrace the fascinating pop culture of Japan by visiting Akihabara, the bustling hub for anime and gaming. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the Pokémon Center.
Take a daytrip to Kamakura, a coastal resort town just an hour from Tokyo, and witness the ancient religious heritage of Japan.
- Visit Great Kotokuin Temple. Its giant bronze Buddha statue of over 13 meters (44 feet) high is a national treasure in vast, serene temple grounds.
- Then visit Hasedera Temple. Known for its stunning statue of Kannon, the goddess of mercy, it offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area and Pacific Ocean.
- Next, visit Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, a significant, magnificent shrine founded in the 12th century with impressive architecture and tall, shady camphor trees.
- End your Kamakura exploring with Komachi Street, a bustling street filled with shops, cafés, and restaurants. Experience traditional Japanese cuisine and/or pick up souvenirs.
- Finish the day by transferring to Kawaguchiko — a mountainous area that offers exceptional views of Mount Fuji.
On day 6, we would embark on a journey to the beautiful Fuji Five Lakes and witness the majestic splendor of Mount Fuji:
- Start your adventure by visiting Kawaguchiko, one of the five lakes, and enjoy the breathtaking views of Mt. Fuji while you walk along the serene lakeside.
- Take the Kachi Kachi cableway on Mt. Tenjo for panoramic views of the lakes and Mt. Fuji, and visit beautiful Arakura Sengen Shrine, beginning the Mt. Fuji pilgrimage route.
- Next, visit Mount Fuji's 5th Station and Fujisan Komitake Shrine. Learn about the mountain's geology and history, and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
In the morning of day 7, we would drive 2 hours to Karuizawa. Along the way, you will see the beautiful countryside and the changing landscape:
- Your first half-day nature tour would visit Joshinetsu Kogen National Park. Your guide would show you lush green forest, beautiful lakes, streams, and wildlife.
A second half-day Karuizawa Nature Tour, this time on the Shinano-ji Nature Trail, would be a great way to explore the natural beauty of the area:
- The Shinano-ji Nature Trail is a well-maintained trail that runs through the central area of Karuizawa at 960 m (3,150 ft) to Mine-no-Chaya at 1,405 m (4,610 ft).
- Along the trail, you will be surrounded by the natural beauty of Karuizawa, including rivers, streams, waterfalls, and stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
Traveling from Karuizawa to Nagoya by train, experience the world-famous Shinkansen and see the diverse and beautiful Japanese countryside. Have a good rest after arrival at Nagoya.
On day 10, have fun in nationally-famous Ghibli Park, only about 45 minutes outside Nagoya city. The park is based on the popular animated films of Studio Ghibli.
On day 11, the visits would give you a great blend of educational and fun experiences. You'll get to learn more about the industrial and technological history of Japan:
- Visit the Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology, showcasing Toyota history and Japan industrial technology with interactive exhibits.
- After lunch, head to SCMAGLEV and Railway Park, about 30 minutes away by car. This railway museum that has a vast collection of trains, locomotives, and bullet trains.
- Finally, head to the Nagoya City Science Museum. It has lots of interactive exhibits, planetarium shows, and even a large-screen theater.
Head to Nagoya Station and take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto. The journey takes approximately 40 minutes.
After arrival, check-in at your hotel and have a rest before participating in a well-choreographed special dinner experience at a traditional tea house in Gion District. You will be treated to a feast of traditional Japanese cuisine while being entertained by a Geisha, who will sing, play musical instruments, and perform for you.
The day offers a mix of cultural, natural, and culinary experiences in traditional Kyoto:
- Enter Kiyomizu-dera Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and famous Kyoto temple. It offers a beautiful view of the city and has a history dating back to 778 AD.
- Then, visit Kinkakuji Temple, also known as Golden Pavilion as it’s covered in gold leaf. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is in a beautiful garden with a pond.
- Have yourselves some local snacks at Nishiki Market. You'll find lots of interesting food stalls and shops selling anything from traditional Japanese candy to fresh seafood.
- Finish the day's visits at Arashiyama, a mountainous Kyoto district famous for its beautiful bamboo groves, Togetsukyo Bridge over Katsura River, and serene atmosphere.
On day 14, we would pay a visit to Nara Park, which is only about 45 minutes' driving from Kyoto, and later visit Kyoto's most popular shrine.
- Once we arrive in Nara, we'd head to Todaiji temple, one of Japan's most famous and historically significant temples, which houses the world's largest bronze Buddha statue.
- After visiting the temple, head to kid-friendly Nara Park, where you can experience feeding the lovable deer that roam freely throughout the park.
- In the afternoon, we'd return to Kyoto and head to Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, famous for its thousands of vermilion torii gates that line the trails behind the main temple.
Remember to wear comfortable walking shoes and bring some snacks for the day trip.
Check out from your hotel in Kyoto, and we'll travel to Osaka by private vehicle in around an hour:
- Once you arrive in Osaka, we'd head to the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan. This popular destination for families has a huge marine life variety: dolphins, whale sharks, penguins...
- Then, head to Cup Noodle Museum. Learn the history of instant noodles, see their manufacture, and make your own personally-designed instant noodles (ramen)!
On day 16, you would be able to gain a deeper knowledge of Osaka by visiting its classic attractions:
- Begin your day by visiting Osaka Castle Park, a vast area of greenery allowing your family to enjoy fresh air and nature and take pictures with a historical Osaka Castle backdrop.
- After visiting the park, head to Tempozan Ferris Wheel, which offers a panoramic view of the city and Osaka Bay.
- Continue your adventure in fascinating Osaka Museum of Housing and Living, displaying different housing found in Japan and lifestyles in Japan throughout the ages.
On day 17 of the journey, you will be departing from Osaka to head back home.
- Since the day is free and easy, you can sleep in or do some last-minute shopping.
- Famous shopping districts, like Shinsaibashi or Namba are recommended for traditional Japanese souvenirs, food, and clothes.
- You will be picked up by a private hotel to airport transfer to take you to Kansai International Airport (KIX) for your flight home.
Have a safe trip and we hope you enjoyed your family Japan adventure!
We have selected hotels with different styles and for different budgets. Let us know your preferences and we will help you find the right one.
Hotel with nice view of Mt. Fuji in Kawaguchi
Excellent hotel with open-air baths in Karuizawa
Central located hotel for family leisure in Nagoya
Family-friendly traditional local style Ryokan in Kyoto
Elegant hotel with swimming pool in Osaka
Our Service Includes:
- Private transport and personal English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- Hotel accommodation mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels
- Governmental taxes
Tour code: ah-jp-16
Start planning your tailor-made tour now. Your 1:1 travel consultant will reply within 1 working day.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
Get Inspired with Our Sample Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.