Singapore is a particularly successful urban island country in Southeast Asia. It is one of the world's four largest financial centers and one of the world's five busiest seaports. Singapore is also known as a garden city and a classy tourist destination. Find out how to plan a Singapore trip with this Singapore travel guide.
Why Travel to Singapore
1. Singapore is a melting pot of multiculturalism.
From the fusion of various cooking methods from various countries to its diverse architectural styles, Singapore is a gathering place for multinational cultures.
2. Singapore is the center of Southeast Asian art.
The National Gallery of Singapore has the world's largest exhibition of Southeast Asian modern art. The open-air art performances at Marina Bay always make people linger.
3. Singapore is an amusement park suitable for all ages.
Singapore is a family-friendly tourist destination. Singapore Zoo, Kallang Riverside Park, Sentosa, and Universal Studios are suitable for all ages.
4. Singapore is a shopper's paradise.
From shopping malls on Orchard Road to luxury shops in Marina Bay, to boutique shops in Haji Lane, you can always find a place that suits you well.
WOW! I’ve traveled Asia some & I must say Sharon & Asia Highlights made this trip so much more enjoyable and easyMore
Stephen Hollis, Aug 2023
Alisa has has been great to work with
Alisa with Asia Highlights has has been great to work with. Very friendly and responsive.More
Ana Rausch, Aug 2023
Using Sharon right now to book our…
Using Sharon right now to book our upcoming trip to Thailand. She has booked everything that we asked for. Has answered all of my inquiries, which has been many! Looking forward to having a great girls trip in ThailandMore
Tracy, Aug 2023
Thailand, Singapore, Bali
In Thailand, Tanny and Nori(Suparp), were both incredible! They were both fun, funny, and full of knowledge and made sure we got the full experience. They went the extra mile and always made sure we had cold bottled water and towels to cleanse our hands. In Singapore, Nicole was an absolute gem. She was so kind and knowledgeable and guided us in the right direction to make our day as enjoyable as possible. She helped us choose a top notch local lunch and coffee spot in China Town and taught us so much about the country! In Bali, Emon was an absolute joy. He was very knowledgeable and kind and absolutely made sure we were feeling comfortable and was willing to be flexible with us. He was fun to converse with and made our time traveling between destinations so enjoyable! I cannot recommend Asia Highlights enough! Accommodations, travel arrangements and guided tours were all a breeze.More
Cassi Thunker, Jul 2023
Very supportive ! I have received eticket for Sky Lattern Festival very fastMore
Chi?n Nguy?n Ng?c, Jul 2023
My experience in Chang Mai with Asia Highlights
I greatly enjoyed my experience with Asia Highlights for a trip I booked to Thailand.All of my interests were catered too. My guide in Chang Mai Gemma was excellent.I truly felt the soul of Thailand culture and Buddhism.More
Richard, Jul 2023
A pleasure to plan with
Well, this has been a painless and pleasurable process to find such a wonderful company. I had specific dates and places to be and Sharon worked with me diligently to refine the schedule and costs to suit my travel needs and budget. She informed me of a special tour on the dates I am to be in Thailand and I added that to my previous plans.More
Chris Williams, Jul 2023
Large multi-generational holiday in Thailand
The holiday was wonderful. Our guides, Mr Monchai (Bangkok), and Ms Tipagorn (Tippy) (Chiang Mai) were exceptional. Travelling in a large multigenerational group with many children requires patience and our guides truly understood that. Mr Monchai and Ms Tippy shared their extensive knowledge of the many wonderful places we visited, and were flexible to take us to additional places along the way based on discussions. While everyday was busy, having them greet us with patience and a smile truly made this a memorable holiday. The hotels we stayed at were equally wonderful and went above and beyond to celebrate not only my parents 50th anniversary but also celebrate 2 milestone birthdays that occurred. We will cherish this holiday for many years to come. We hope to use Asia Highlights again.More
CL, Jul 2023
I never used a travel agent in my life
I never used a travel agent in my life, but Sharon for Asia Highlights did a phenomenal job helping planning and coordination a family vacation. The best part of working with Sharon was that she maintained an open line of communication and provided answers to my question well within 12-24 hours. Additionally, Sharon was flexible and customized our vacation to my families needs. Overall great experience.More
Antione Barry, Jul 2023
Great company to plan a trip to Southeast Asia!
Sharon Haung has been wonderful to work with! Very patient and accommodating. Responds immediately given time change and is prepared, prompt, and professional.More
Debi Hinerfeld, Jul 2023
We took a 15 days trip (10 days Vietnam and 5 days Thailand …
It was an amazing experience the guides and drivers were there awaiting for us at each airoport for a transfer to the hotels also on time for all the tours all the guides were so lovely , very experienced and spoke very good English , one of the days on tour in Thailand I lost my phone in a temple in Bangkok mr chai went out of his way in a middle of thousands of visitors and managed to find an bring it back to me I found that amazing , also while on a trip I contacted Jason li out tour organizer few time via whatup and he replied and helped on the spot I recommend asiahilights 150% The quality of the service hotels the guides the drivers outstanding From start to finish ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ????More
SIMO el ghobar, Jun 2023
Wonderful Guides and Experience
Our large group arrived in Bangkok with Tanni as our guide. She was wonderful! An absolute joy to spend time with. She is knowledgeable, kind, and extremely funny. I don’t know what we would have done without her! After Bangkok, we traveled to Chang Mai, where Indy was our tour guide. She was a delight! She is kind, knowledgeable, and so patient. Our trip to Thailand was an adventure of a lifetime and these two women helped make it memorable. I would definitely use Asia Highlights for any future travel in Asia.More
Jessica Bennett, Jun 2023
Guide - Chai
We travelled from Vietnam to Bangkok and were blessed to have a guide named Chai. He was a superb guide and it is a pity we couldn't bottle him and take him home. He was very knowledgeable and an absolute gentleman. He could not have done enough to facilitate us and imparted so much knowledge about the Temples, Buddism and the History of Thailand in general. Not only did he give us a great overview of the past and current ways of living in Thailand but I also feel I came away a much better person having interacting with him. I will carry many of his teachings with me for the rest of my life and know that having met him was a very special blessing in my life.More
Customer, Jun 2023
Our guide Tanni was kind
Our guide Tanni was kind, knowledgeable, funny and beyond accommodating for our group. We felt like we'd made a friend and it enhanced our trip in the most positive way. Everything was coordinated perfectly which is not easy to do in a large traveling group. Excellent experience!More
Marissa Manson, Jun 2023
We are only on day 5 of our 15 day trip…
Our first stop so far was in Hanoi where our guide Trong was just so awesome! He shared about his culture and family life which showing us sites through a city tour. He was so funny making lots of jokes and always made sure we were having fun while learning about everything! He checked on us frequently even when we were no longer with him since we then went on a cruise in Halong Bay! Halong Bay and the cruise on Paradise Elegance went way above anything I expected. The scenery was breathtaking, the ship was so beautiful and clean with such fresh, good food! And I can’t sing enough praise for the staff who took care of us- especially Anna and Belle! They went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed every aspect from eating meals with Anna to every other detail with Belle! I highly recommend Asian Highlights to help plan these extraordinary trips! This already has been a trip of a lifetime and we still have so much more to see all thanks to Cathy!!More
Diane Creitz, Jun 2023
Tanni for the win!
14 of my closest friends and family descended upon Bangkok ready to see the town. Asia highlights and Tanni took us on a tour that changed our lives. We experienced so much everyday. Tanni was amazing! She did all the thinking for us, so we all could just be present and enjoy the moment. I can’t recommend this company, and especially Tanni enough.More
Megan McGlynn, Jun 2023
This isn't my first trip with Asia…
This isn't my first trip with Asia Highlights. They are great at helping me plan, working my requests into the itinerary, and booking it all. We travel with friends and just got back from a trip to Thailand and Vietnam. Albee did a great job with all the details and we had a wonderful time. We will use them for our next adventure!More
Katie Potesta, Jun 2023
Although we have not been our trip yet I wanted to still write a review based on customer service and the ease of booking. Alisa has been extremely prompt and responsive with planning our trip to Thailand. She has had great recommendations and guidance to add to our custom itinerary. Highly recommend using Asia highlights! -AlexMore
Alex, May 2023
I have never hear of this company…
I have never hear of this company before , and after reading all these reviews ,I decided to give it a try . The professionalism and communicative skill received by one of the agent , Sharon of Asia Highlights , convince me that She was the right travel agent for my trip in Asia . Very quickly she communicated with me and got all the detail of my desire vacation . Sharon made me a great itinerary with great experiences that I am dreaming to experience and I am looking forward to it . Thanks Sharon for been so great and crafting me a dream vacation with great suggestions.More
orge alvarez, May 2023
Coco Yang worked tirelessly to…
From the moment I landed in Bangkok, Ms Noi Ying was there to welcome me and get me settled into my hotel. We enjoyed several days together touring Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. In Chiang Mai, Mr Ekachai took my son snd I on an amazing trip to the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary and to visit a community Lanna home, gardens and a hands-on cooking class preparing an authentic Thai meal. Lisa arranged a last-minute speedboat tour of 5 breathtaking islands in Phuket. From start to finish, the guides exceeded my expectations!! Thank you, Asia Highlight!! Debbie WoodsMore
Debbie Woods, May 2023
Top Places to Visit in Singapore
Located at the southernmost tip of the Malay Peninsula, Singapore is one of the smallest countries in the world, with a total area of only 694 square kilometers (268 square miles), which is even smaller than Hong Kong. It takes an hour to drive around the whul class="infolist"e island, but Singapore is an all-inclusive experience, blending diverse cultures from all over the world, and there are many wonderful things you can't miss.
- 1. Go to Merlion Park to see the symbul class="infolist" of Singapore.
- 2. Go to Little India to experience a cul class="infolist"orful miniature of massive India.
- 3. See the largest mosque in Singapore, Sultan Mosque.
- 4. Admire the exquisite Sri Mariamman Temple and look up at countless statues of gods there.
- 5. Wander around Orchard Road and experience Singapore's artistic shopping paradise.
- 6. Go to the "Big Durian" Esplanade — Theatres on the Bay, Singapore to appreciate Singaporean art.
- 7. Visit Gardens by the Bay with the world's largest greenhouse.
- 8. Climb the world's first double helix pedestrian bridge, also by Marina Bay.
- 9. Go to Clarke Quay to enjoy the nightlife of Singapore.
- 10. Go to Chinatown to experience the cultural heritage and taste local food.
- 11. Take an island adventure on Sentosa.
- 12. Explore Changi Airport, which hul class="infolist"ds the world's largest indoor waterfall.
Best Times to Visit Singapore
Singapore is located in the tropics and has an equatorial rainy climate. It is warm/hot throughout the year without a winter. The average daily temperature range is 24 to 31 °C (75–88°F). The least sweltering month is January with an average temperature range of 22 to 30 degrees Celsius (72–86°F). Slightly hotter temperatures average 25–32°C (77–90°F) from February to June.
There is only one of the obvious four seasons of temperate climes in Singapore — only summer — but there is a distinctly less wet season and a very wet season. The monsoon rainy season is from November to January.
Singapore is a country that's suitable for year-round travel and the best time for you to go depends on what you want to do in Singapore.
If you do not like wet weather, you might consider the months of lowest rainfall on average (still moderate to high): February, September, and June
If you like food, you could choose to go to Singapore in April for the annual World Chef Summit or July for the Singapore Food Festival (July 10-26), when there are food tasting activities at Clarke Quay, Chinatown, and many other attractions.
If you like shopping, you could come from June to July for the shopping discount season, when large shopping malls attract tourists with their discounts.
If you like a lively hul class="infolist"iday atmosphere, November to December is the best time. From November to December, the shining celebrations of Deepavali, Christmas and New Year's Day will light up the entire Lion City.
If you are a motor racing fan, you should go in September, when Singapore hosts the only F1 night race in the world.
Singapore travel can be expensive, and it is always higher during the festivals, such as Chinese Lunar New Year in January or February. So, to keep travel costs down, avoid the festivals.
When would you like to take a Singapore trip? Let us tailor-make a Singapore tour to your requirements.
Recommended Singapore Tour Packages
Singapore is small and many attractions are relatively concentrated within walking distance. Usually, 4–7 days are recommended to see all of Singapore's highlights. Here is a suggested 5-day Singapore tour package for your reference:
Day 1: A one-day walking tour to see Chinatown, Marina Bay, and Singapore nightlife at Clarke Quay.
Day 2: Explore Little India and Haji Lane in the daytime and take a Night Safari in the evening.
Day 3: Enjoy retail therapy with a one-day shopping experience on Orchard Road.
Day 4: Take a day to relax in a resort on Sentosa. (If your time is sufficient, a night stay in the island is highly recommended.)
Day 5: Visit Jewel Changyi at Changyi International Airport, then fly home.
How many days do you have for the trip? We will customize your Singapore trip based on your requirements.
Chinese New Year
Celebrated: in January or February
About 75% of Singapore people are ethnic Chinese, so Chinese lunar New Year is the most important festival in Singapore for many. During that time, you will see dazzling lanterns along the streets, parades, and performances nearly everywhere in the city. The biggest celebration is in Chinatown.
- Enjoy the street lighting-up ceremony in Chinatown prior to the festival.
- Join the cul class="infolist"orful Chingay Parade from 1 Republic Boulevard to NS Square.
- Immerse yourself in the River Hongbao garden festivities in NS Square.
Christmas on Orchard Road
Celebrated: from November 16th
Orchard Road is one of the most popular shopping streets in Singapore, and also a world-class shopping destination. The road is particularly brilliant and beaming during the Christmas period.
- Enjoy the iconic lighting-up ceremony.
In Singapore, Christmas comes early every year, starting from mid-November. With the official launch of the Christmas lighting ceremony on November 16, this lively and fashionable district of Orchard Road is transformed into a cul class="infolist"orful fantasy world with laughter and joy, allowing you to immerse yourself in the joy of the festival in advance.
The lighting and decorations stretch 3.88 kilometers (2.4 miles) from Tanglin Mall to Plaza Singapura (including Scotts Road, Grange Road, and Orchard Road). And they stay up until January 1, giving you plenty of time to enjoy this feast for the senses.
- Have fun at the Happy Christmas Village Fantasy Carnival.
- Join the Christmas countdown party — the climax of the hul class="infolist"iday celebrations.
- Shop happily on Orchard Road. Many shops offer discounts to attract guests during that time.
Celebrated: from October or November for a month
Deepavali, also called "the Festival of Lights", is a national cultural festival in Singapore. On this day, thousands of Hindu families in Singapore will light up their warm yellow oil lamps (deepas) at home to pray to Lakshmi, god of fertility and prosperity. Little India is the best place to enjoy Deepavali, which is decorated gorgeously at that time. There will be various exquisite elephant and peacock statues on the street, and the ground is covered with traditional Indian Rangul class="infolist"i paintings.
The day of Deepavali is different each year. It will be on November 12th in 2023, but the celebration can last more than a month, from the week before the festival to a month after the festival. The highlights are always in the week before Deepavali Day.
1. Participate in the "Silver Chariot procession". Devotees drag a silver carriage carrying a statue of the goddess Sri Drowpathai Amman from Sri Mariamman Temple in Chinatown (one of the ul class="infolist"dest Hindu temples in Singapore) all the way to Little India.
2. Enjoy the Fire Dance Festival (Theemithi) held in the Mariamman Hindu Temple. In this ritual, thousands of male believers step on burning coals with their bare feet to pay homage to the goddess. Theemithi is held about a week before Deepavali Day.
3. Enjoy wonderful traditional performances in Little India. The performances last for a few nights before Deepavali.
Singapore Food Festival
Celebrate time: from mid-July
- Taste all kinds of delicious food and have the opportunity to see the delicious masterpieces cooked by the chefs.
- Experience various celebrations, workshops, and live music performances. STREAT is the iconic event of the Food Festival, where you can try different kinds of street food.
What is more, Mid-Autumn Festival, Vesak Day, Thaipusam, Hari Raya Puasa are also the popular festivals in Singapore. See more on SE Asia Festivals.
Singapore is a hodgepodge of diverse races and cultures, which also brings a variety of local cuisines and delicacies together. From street food to elegant restaurants, no matter what your taste or budget, you can enjoy the ultimate delicacy in Singapore. Singapore's traditional cuisine includes chili crab, Hainanese chicken rice, bak kut tek ('pork rib tea'), laksa (spicy noodles), fish head curry, satay, and kaya (coconut jam) toast.
Kampong Gelam is a gastronomic treasure house, popular among tourists from home and abroad. Almost all styles of cuisine can be found there, including authentic Indonesian cuisine, Mexican cuisine, Vietnam cuisine, Japanese food, and Chinese food. Here are some popular restaurants for your reference:
Indian Restaurant: Zam Zam Singapore
- Add: 697-699 North Bridge Road, Singapore 198675
- Tel: +65 6298 6320
Indonesian Restaurant: Warong Nasi Pariaman
- Add: 736/738 North Bridge Road, Singapore 198704
- Tel: +65 6292 2374
Malay kampong ('village') taste restaurant: Hjh Maimunah
- Add: 11 & 15 Jalan Pisang, Singapore 199078
- Tel: +65 6297 4294
Mexican restaurant: Piedra Negra
- Add: 241 Beach Road, Singapore 189753
- Tel: +65 6291 1297
Vietnamese restaurant: Mrs Pho
- Add: 349 Beach Road, Singapore 199570
- Tel: +65 6292 0018
Japanese restaurant: Box n Sticks
- Add: 28 Kandahar Street, Singapore 198889
- Tel: +65 6341 7780
How to Get around Singapore
1. Singapore's Mass Rapid Transit (MRT)
The Singapore Metro is a very convenient way to travel. There are dense subway lines and many attractions can be reached by subway. It is very convenient. Usually, the first train departs at 05:30 and the last train is between 23:30 and 00:00.
The bus routes are quite complicated, and the stop names are usually a landmark building near the stop. Therefore, the stop names coming or going are often different. In addition, most buses do not announce the stations, and some only display the name of the next station on their electronic screens. So please be aware of the stops situation when you take a bus.
Taxis are convenient in Singapore. It is easy to take one from hotels, attractions, or shopping malls. The taxi fare starts around 3 SGD (2 USD), and then it's about 0.22 SGD (0.15 USD) for every 400 meters.
1. You can buy an EZ-Link Card or a Singapore Tourist Pass to take the MRT or buses in Singapore with cashless convenience.
2. There is a credit card machine at the front and rear doors of the buses. Please remember to scan your card when you get on the bus at the front door and scan it again when you get off at the rear door.
3. There are many taxi companies in Singapore, such as Comfort, City Cab, SMRT, Trans-Cab, Premier Taxis. SMRT provides advanced taxi services, so the cost will be more expensive.
Private car is always the most comfortable way to get around. Contact Asia Highlights for private transfers.
Where to Stay in Singapore
Singapore is a small country with convenient public transportation. You can take the subway to most of the sightseeing places, so staying near a subway station will make things easy for you. There are five popular areas that people typically choose for a Singapore stay:
- Chinatown: There are more youth hostels and economy hotels in this area. Tourists with a lower budget often choose to stay in this area. Porcelain Hotel Singapore, Bliss Hotel Singapore, Opera House Hotel, and Oasia Hotel Downtown are recommended.
- Sentosa: Many hul class="infolist"iday hotels are located there. If you want to enjoy top-class hotel facilities and relax on beaches, Sentosa should be your choice. The famous Universal Studios is also there. Le Meridien Singapore, Sentosa; Siloso Beach Resort; Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa; and Hotel Michael are recommended.
- Orchard Road: Singapore's shopping mecca! There are many large department stores and shopping centers along the 2-km-long road. If you want to go shopping in Singapore, you should not miss Orchard Road. Grand Park Orchard, Ascott Orchard Singapore, Hotel Chancellor, and YOTEL Singapore are recommended.
- Marina Bay: If you are looking for a luxury hotel experience, there will be more options for you in Marina Bay. Marina Bay Sands; The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore; Sofitel Singapore City Centre; and The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore are all there.
- Bugis: There you can fully experience the charm of Southeast Asia, and you can taste many different local snacks in the night market in Bugis. InterContinental Singapore, Hotel G Singapore, XY hotel Bugis by Asanda Hotels and Resorts, Hotel Royal @ Queens Singapore, and Mercure Singapore Bugis are all good options.
Where would you want to stay? Let us help book the ideal hotel for you.
Shopping in Singapore
Singapore is one of the famous shopping paradises of the world. From unique souvenirs to fashion brands, you can always find the best that retail has to offer. You can buy high-tech products at Funan Mall, fashion clothing and jewelry at Orchard Road; buy Indian specialty products at Little India; and go to Chinatown for a customized exquisite qipao (cheongsam). Or go shopping like a local in very Singaporean malls, such as Tampines 1, Jem®, and Westgate.
Or do you want to bring a special Singapore gift back home? There are many local brands in Singapore, such as TWG tea, Supermama local ceramics, Scene Shang's homeware, Tiger Balm, and local snacks from Biscuit King.
If you only have half a day's transit time in Singapore, Jewel Changi will rewrite your airport transit experience.
Singapore Travel Tips
- Singapore is a rainy country most of the time. Please prepare a raincoat or an umbrella for rain at any time.
- Singapore is an equatorial country with a high UV index. Please prepare sunglasses and sunscreen for your trip.
- The standard electrical current used in Singapore is 220–240 vul class="infolist"ts AC (50 cycles). If you need to, be prepared with a power plug (adapter) with three square prongs.
- Tap water is safe to drink in Singapore. It has passed the World Health Organization standards.
- Smoking is forbidden in all air-conditioned places in Singapore.
- Chewing gum is forbidden in Singapore.
- Singapore charges a very high tax on alcohul class="infolist", so it is expensive to drink or buy a bottle of wine.
- Only the Singapore dul class="infolist"lar is used in Singapore and you can exchange money at the airport when you arrive.
- Tipping is not customary in Singapore. An additional 10% gratuity is charged on top of your bill by some restaurants and hotels.
Tour Singapore with Asia Highlights
Even though Singapore is a small country and English is widely used there, if you want to explore the real Singapore and experience local life, it would still be helpful to have a professional tour guide. Travel with Asia Highlights for a hassle-free and more-fulfilling Singapore tour.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.