This itinerary is specially designed for those who would like to have an off-the-beaten track trip to Asia. It is recommended for a bucket list trip or a milestone celebration.
This 21-day adventure across China, Laos, and Thailand offers a perfect balance of cultural immersion and scenic exploration, taking you from the historical sites of Beijing and Luang Prabang to the tranquil beaches of Krabi, from hill tribe villages along the Mekong River to rescued elephants in the jungle.
*The cost for a customized private SE Asia tour from US$200/person/day
China, Laos and Thailand Tour Map (Suggested Route)
Here are the awesome attractions, the most must-do activities selected by Asia Highlights (AH Hand-Picked), and exclusive cultural experiences offered by Asia Highlights (Only With AH) included in this tour:
Experience Asia's first cross-border high-speed train — China to Laos
Listen to revealing stories of China's royal family in the Forbidden City.
Hike the prettiest Great Wall section to see both wild and restored ramparts.
Attend an early morning alms-offering ceremony in Luang Prabang.
Enjoy a romantic sunset cruise dinner.
Take a culture-filled Mekong river cruise from Laos to Thailand.
See the amazing temples of Chiang Rai.
Walk with elephants in wildlife-friendly Elephant Nature Park.
Learn how to cook traditional Thai dishes in Chiang Mai.
Relax in the less-crowded yet beautiful beach of Krabi.
WOW! I’ve traveled Asia some & I must say Sharon & Asia Highlights made this trip so much more enjoyable and easyMore
Stephen Hollis, Aug 2023
Alisa has has been great to work with
Alisa with Asia Highlights has has been great to work with. Very friendly and responsive.More
Ana Rausch, Aug 2023
Using Sharon right now to book our…
Using Sharon right now to book our upcoming trip to Thailand. She has booked everything that we asked for. Has answered all of my inquiries, which has been many! Looking forward to having a great girls trip in ThailandMore
Tracy, Aug 2023
Thailand, Singapore, Bali
In Thailand, Tanny and Nori(Suparp), were both incredible! They were both fun, funny, and full of knowledge and made sure we got the full experience. They went the extra mile and always made sure we had cold bottled water and towels to cleanse our hands. In Singapore, Nicole was an absolute gem. She was so kind and knowledgeable and guided us in the right direction to make our day as enjoyable as possible. She helped us choose a top notch local lunch and coffee spot in China Town and taught us so much about the country! In Bali, Emon was an absolute joy. He was very knowledgeable and kind and absolutely made sure we were feeling comfortable and was willing to be flexible with us. He was fun to converse with and made our time traveling between destinations so enjoyable! I cannot recommend Asia Highlights enough! Accommodations, travel arrangements and guided tours were all a breeze.More
Cassi Thunker, Jul 2023
Very supportive ! I have received eticket for Sky Lattern Festival very fastMore
Chi?n Nguy?n Ng?c, Jul 2023
My experience in Chang Mai with Asia Highlights
I greatly enjoyed my experience with Asia Highlights for a trip I booked to Thailand.All of my interests were catered too. My guide in Chang Mai Gemma was excellent.I truly felt the soul of Thailand culture and Buddhism.More
Richard, Jul 2023
A pleasure to plan with
Well, this has been a painless and pleasurable process to find such a wonderful company. I had specific dates and places to be and Sharon worked with me diligently to refine the schedule and costs to suit my travel needs and budget. She informed me of a special tour on the dates I am to be in Thailand and I added that to my previous plans.More
Chris Williams, Jul 2023
Large multi-generational holiday in Thailand
The holiday was wonderful. Our guides, Mr Monchai (Bangkok), and Ms Tipagorn (Tippy) (Chiang Mai) were exceptional. Travelling in a large multigenerational group with many children requires patience and our guides truly understood that. Mr Monchai and Ms Tippy shared their extensive knowledge of the many wonderful places we visited, and were flexible to take us to additional places along the way based on discussions. While everyday was busy, having them greet us with patience and a smile truly made this a memorable holiday. The hotels we stayed at were equally wonderful and went above and beyond to celebrate not only my parents 50th anniversary but also celebrate 2 milestone birthdays that occurred. We will cherish this holiday for many years to come. We hope to use Asia Highlights again.More
CL, Jul 2023
I never used a travel agent in my life
I never used a travel agent in my life, but Sharon for Asia Highlights did a phenomenal job helping planning and coordination a family vacation. The best part of working with Sharon was that she maintained an open line of communication and provided answers to my question well within 12-24 hours. Additionally, Sharon was flexible and customized our vacation to my families needs. Overall great experience.More
Antione Barry, Jul 2023
Great company to plan a trip to Southeast Asia!
Sharon Haung has been wonderful to work with! Very patient and accommodating. Responds immediately given time change and is prepared, prompt, and professional.More
Debi Hinerfeld, Jul 2023
We took a 15 days trip (10 days Vietnam and 5 days Thailand …
It was an amazing experience the guides and drivers were there awaiting for us at each airoport for a transfer to the hotels also on time for all the tours all the guides were so lovely , very experienced and spoke very good English , one of the days on tour in Thailand I lost my phone in a temple in Bangkok mr chai went out of his way in a middle of thousands of visitors and managed to find an bring it back to me I found that amazing , also while on a trip I contacted Jason li out tour organizer few time via whatup and he replied and helped on the spot I recommend asiahilights 150% The quality of the service hotels the guides the drivers outstanding From start to finish ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ????More
SIMO el ghobar, Jun 2023
Wonderful Guides and Experience
Our large group arrived in Bangkok with Tanni as our guide. She was wonderful! An absolute joy to spend time with. She is knowledgeable, kind, and extremely funny. I don’t know what we would have done without her! After Bangkok, we traveled to Chang Mai, where Indy was our tour guide. She was a delight! She is kind, knowledgeable, and so patient. Our trip to Thailand was an adventure of a lifetime and these two women helped make it memorable. I would definitely use Asia Highlights for any future travel in Asia.More
Jessica Bennett, Jun 2023
Guide - Chai
We travelled from Vietnam to Bangkok and were blessed to have a guide named Chai. He was a superb guide and it is a pity we couldn't bottle him and take him home. He was very knowledgeable and an absolute gentleman. He could not have done enough to facilitate us and imparted so much knowledge about the Temples, Buddism and the History of Thailand in general. Not only did he give us a great overview of the past and current ways of living in Thailand but I also feel I came away a much better person having interacting with him. I will carry many of his teachings with me for the rest of my life and know that having met him was a very special blessing in my life.More
Customer, Jun 2023
Our guide Tanni was kind
Our guide Tanni was kind, knowledgeable, funny and beyond accommodating for our group. We felt like we'd made a friend and it enhanced our trip in the most positive way. Everything was coordinated perfectly which is not easy to do in a large traveling group. Excellent experience!More
Marissa Manson, Jun 2023
We are only on day 5 of our 15 day trip…
Our first stop so far was in Hanoi where our guide Trong was just so awesome! He shared about his culture and family life which showing us sites through a city tour. He was so funny making lots of jokes and always made sure we were having fun while learning about everything! He checked on us frequently even when we were no longer with him since we then went on a cruise in Halong Bay! Halong Bay and the cruise on Paradise Elegance went way above anything I expected. The scenery was breathtaking, the ship was so beautiful and clean with such fresh, good food! And I can’t sing enough praise for the staff who took care of us- especially Anna and Belle! They went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed every aspect from eating meals with Anna to every other detail with Belle! I highly recommend Asian Highlights to help plan these extraordinary trips! This already has been a trip of a lifetime and we still have so much more to see all thanks to Cathy!!More
Diane Creitz, Jun 2023
Tanni for the win!
14 of my closest friends and family descended upon Bangkok ready to see the town. Asia highlights and Tanni took us on a tour that changed our lives. We experienced so much everyday. Tanni was amazing! She did all the thinking for us, so we all could just be present and enjoy the moment. I can’t recommend this company, and especially Tanni enough.More
Megan McGlynn, Jun 2023
This isn't my first trip with Asia…
This isn't my first trip with Asia Highlights. They are great at helping me plan, working my requests into the itinerary, and booking it all. We travel with friends and just got back from a trip to Thailand and Vietnam. Albee did a great job with all the details and we had a wonderful time. We will use them for our next adventure!More
Katie Potesta, Jun 2023
Although we have not been our trip yet I wanted to still write a review based on customer service and the ease of booking. Alisa has been extremely prompt and responsive with planning our trip to Thailand. She has had great recommendations and guidance to add to our custom itinerary. Highly recommend using Asia highlights! -AlexMore
Alex, May 2023
I have never hear of this company…
I have never hear of this company before , and after reading all these reviews ,I decided to give it a try . The professionalism and communicative skill received by one of the agent , Sharon of Asia Highlights , convince me that She was the right travel agent for my trip in Asia . Very quickly she communicated with me and got all the detail of my desire vacation . Sharon made me a great itinerary with great experiences that I am dreaming to experience and I am looking forward to it . Thanks Sharon for been so great and crafting me a dream vacation with great suggestions.More
orge alvarez, May 2023
Coco Yang worked tirelessly to…
From the moment I landed in Bangkok, Ms Noi Ying was there to welcome me and get me settled into my hotel. We enjoyed several days together touring Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. In Chiang Mai, Mr Ekachai took my son snd I on an amazing trip to the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary and to visit a community Lanna home, gardens and a hands-on cooking class preparing an authentic Thai meal. Lisa arranged a last-minute speedboat tour of 5 breathtaking islands in Phuket. From start to finish, the guides exceeded my expectations!! Thank you, Asia Highlight!! Debbie WoodsMore
Debbie Woods, May 2023
Your preferences design the real journey. We're ready to create a wonderful China and Vietnam tour for you.
Upon arrival, your private guide and driver will greet you at the airport and then drive you to your hotel. The rest of the day will be free for you to explore at your leisure.
- Start your day from the historic Tian'anmen Square.
- Explore the emperors' Forbidden City: get off the ordinary sightseeing route and listen to interesting stories of eight famous personalities that are not told by typical tour guides.
- Walk into the Hutongs and discover the traditional Beijing lifestyle.
- Enjoy an authentic Beijing roast duck dinner in a time-honored-brand restaurant.
- Start at about 8am with a 2-hour drive to the Great Wall at Jinshanling.
- Hike from Jinshanling to Simatai West (it takes about 3 hours). This section has breathtaking views and offers stunning photo opportunities that vary with the seasons.
- See both the unrepaired ancient watchtowers and a restored section of the Wall during the hike.
- After having a lunch at the foot of Jinshanling, your guide and driver will accompany you back to Beijing.
- Drive to the most famous imperial garden in China — the Summer Palace. It is where emperors used to retreat to flee the summer heat. Take a boat ride on tranquil Kunming Lake in the heart of the vast garden.
- After lunch at a local restaurant, take a high-speed train to Shanghai (about 5 hours).
- Guide-accompanied hotel-station transfers in both Beijing and Shanghai are included.
- Visit Yu Garden, an exquisite classical garden, hidden and well-preserved among the high buildings.
- Walk along the Bund to learn about Shanghai's rise to super-size.
- Wander through the backstreets to get a glimpse of Shanghainese lifestyles.
- Be like a local as you hop on a public ferry among the crowds to cross the Huangpu River, traveling from old Shanghai to new Shanghai.
- Take the fastest elevator in the world and ascend the second-highest building in the world — Shanghai Tower.
- In the morning, take an in-depth walking tour around the Former French Concession, which is the most charming and elegant area of Shanghai.
- See Shanghainese morning exercise, which are quite difference from other places' in China. Peep at a super-rich residence community.
- Walk into a shikumen building (a 19th-century townhouse) to see old Shanghai's crowded living conditions, and see new life in the old buildings brought by creative artists and local designers.
- After the tour, transfer to Shanghai Airport for your onward flight to Kunming.
- Guide-accompanied airport transfers in both Shanghai and Kunming are included.
- Skipping the touristy part of the Stone Forest, you will visit the Naigu Stone Forest — the 'Ancient Black' Stone Forest. Climb to a high platform for a magnificent panoramic view and also take a little path threading the narrow space between the stones to witness the fantastic formations up close.
- Have a relaxing walk on Kunming's Old Street; and try local snacks, including rice-noodle salad, deep-fried mushrooms, big sweet dumplings, and Lao-style milk tea.
- As your China tour comes to its end, your private guide and driver will transfer you to Kunming South Railway Station for your onward train to Laos (about 8½ hours including a 3-hour stop going through exit and entry at the Mohan-Boten border crossing point.
- Upon arrival in Luang Prabang, your new Laos private guide and driver will greet you at the railway station and transfer you to your hotel.
- Explore Luang Prabang's World Heritage sites, including famous Wat Xieng Thong temple.
- Walk in the former Royal Palace — now a National Museum.
- Visit a local market and Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre.
- Enjoy a dinner on a romantic sunset cruise while appreciating charming views of Luang Prabang.
- In the early morning, take a boat ride to a local village to attend the morning alms-giving ceremony.
- Enjoy a homemade breakfast in a local's house.
- Travel through vibrant, green, tropical jungle to Kuang Si Waterfall.
- Afterwards, visit the Bear Rescue Centre near the waterfall.
- Board the Le Grand Cruise at 7 A.M. at Luang Prabang pier.
- Start the cruise with a continental breakfast while you head to Pak Ou Village for a visit to the Tam Ting (‘Thousand Buddhas') Caves.
- Enjoy riverside views with a buffet lunch on board.
- Visit a hill tribe village, where you can watch the traditional process of Lao whiskey production.
- Arrive at your Pakbeng hotel around sunset and stay overnight there.
- Dinner is served on the terrace, overlooking the Mekong.
- After breakfast in your Pakbeng resort, begin the second leg of the cruise and observe ethnic people's life along the Mekong, such as the Hmong, Yao, and Khmu.
- A buffet lunch will be served on board.
- Disembark from the cruise at Houayxay. The cruise company will assist you in crossing the Laos-Thailand border between Houayxay and Chiang Khong.
- Your Thailand guide and driver will meet you at the Chiang Khong boundary post, and then transfer you straight to your hotel in Chiang Rai (about 1½ hours driving).
- In the morning, visit Chiang Rai's most interesting temples: Black House and White temple.
- Afterwards, we'll transfer you to Chiang Mai. Stay overnight there.
- Explore Mount Doi Suthep and pilgrimage to sacred Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.
- Take a rickshaw ride through the small streets and alleys of Chiang Mai.
- In the afternoon, learn how to make Thai dishes in one of the best cooking schools in Chiang Mai.
- Visit Chiang Mai's famous Elephant Nature Park, which is known as the most-environmentally-responsible Elephant Park in Thailand, even in all of Southeast Asia.
- Walk with the elephants in the jungle, feed them, and watch them bathing in the river.
- In the park, you would also have the chance to see many other rescued animals, such as bears, cats, and dogs.
- When you arrive at Krabi Airport, you'll find we have a private transfer ready to take you to your beautiful hotel.
- These two days are free for you to spend at leisure by the beach.
- You may consider taking a speedboat trip to the many nearby tropical paradises, including the famous Phi Phi Islands, or enjoy a serene cruise around the mystical Phang Nga Bay.
- After breakfast, transfer to Krabi Airport for your onward flight to Bangkok.
- Private airport transfers in both Krabi and Bangkok are included.
- Experience the morning chanting ritual at Wat Pho, which is one of the oldest temples in Bangkok.
- Take a tuk tuk ride via Pak Khlong Talat Flower Market to the Grand Palace.
- Continue with a long-tail boat ride along the ancient canals of Thonburi to get a flavor of local life.
- Stop at iconic Wat Arun, which was once the grand royal temple of King Rama II.
- Cross the Chao Phraya River to Chinatown for a glance at Old Bangkok.
- As your East Asia tour comes to its end, your private guide and driver will transfer you to Bangkok Airport for your flight back home.
Ideas for Making This Trip Uniquely Yours
Special experiences can be added to brighten a honeymoon trip, a family vacation, a birthday, or satisfy personal interests.
Meet the Terracotta Army and make your own terracotta warriors
For history fans
Feed giant pandas or red pandas
For those who like wildlife
Stay overnight in a floating house in the rainforest
For romance seekers
We select hotels with style and local features. Let us know your preferences and we'll find your ideal hotel.
Thai Lanna Style Hotel in Chiang Mai
A Seaside Resort in Krabi
Hotel with Laos style in Luang Prabang
Central located hotel in Bangkok
Michelin recommended hotel in Shanghai
Central located hotel in Beijing
Our Service Includes:
- Private transfers and English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- 4-star accommodations for 20 nights
- Flights & high-speed trains between cities mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels and lunches for every guided day
- Governmental taxes
Tour code: ah-mtc-10