This itinerary is specially designed for those who would like to take a leisurely and in-depth trip to Asia for a 3-week vacation.
As two of most influential countries in Asia, China and Vietnam share some common cultural traits, but they also have their own unique characteristics.
From the historical wonders of the Great Wall in Beijing to the bustling floating markets in the Mekong Delta, this tour offers a comprehensive experience of these two fascinating countries.
With our carefully-designed itinerary and expert guides, this adventure tour could be your journey of a lifetime!
*The cost for a customized private SE Asia tour from US$200/person/day
China and Vietnam Tour Map (Suggested Route)
Here are the awesome attractions, the most must-do activities selected by Asia Highlights (AH Hand-Picked), and exclusive cultural experiences offered by Asia Highlights (Only With AH) included in this tour:
Discover the soul of the Forbidden City: Get off the ordinary sightseeing route and unveil the lives of China's royal family in their hidden halls.
Walk along the most beautiful section of the Great Wall
Unearth the secrets of the Terracotta Army and make your own terracotta warriors.
Explore the most-easily-accessible spectacular rice terraces in China, which is more accessible than Vietnam's.
Time Travel on the Bund and Feel the Speed of Shanghai's Development.
Capture the world’s most picturesque karst landscape and seascape: hills in Guilin, China and outcrops in Halong Bay, Vietnam.
Taste the savory flavors of China and Vietnam: Beijing roast duck, handmade dumplings, fresh Vietnam spring rolls...
Experience different countryside life in the south of China and the Mekong Delta.
Paddle a traditional Vietnamese basket boat along the coconut-palm-flanked waterways to learn about the local fisherman’s lifestyle.
Enjoy two free day by the beach in Da Nang for a relaxing break during the long trip.
98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+
I have never hear of this company…
I have never hear of this company before , and after reading all these reviews ,I decided to give it a try . The professionalism and communicative skill received by one of the agent , Sharon of Asia Highlights , convince me that She was the right travel agent for my trip in Asia . Very quickly she communicated with me and got all the detail of my desire vacation . Sharon made me a great itinerary with great experiences that I am dreaming to experience and I am looking forward to it . Thanks Sharon for been so great and crafting me a dream vacation with great suggestions.More
orge alvarez, May 2023
Coco Yang worked tirelessly to…
From the moment I landed in Bangkok, Ms Noi Ying was there to welcome me and get me settled into my hotel. We enjoyed several days together touring Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. In Chiang Mai, Mr Ekachai took my son snd I on an amazing trip to the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary and to visit a community Lanna home, gardens and a hands-on cooking class preparing an authentic Thai meal. Lisa arranged a last-minute speedboat tour of 5 breathtaking islands in Phuket. From start to finish, the guides exceeded my expectations!! Thank you, Asia Highlight!! Debbie WoodsMore
Debbie Woods, May 2023
Sharon from Asia highlights has been…
Sharon from Asia highlights has been amazing. She offered her amazing ideas to other tours I wanted. We have planned the perfect 9 day itinerary to Thailand. She worked in my budget and was very flexible when I had to change my flights. Thank you sharon. Can’t wait for the trip.More
Heather Stern Wilensky, Apr 2023
Ms. Ning first review 4-2023
Ms. Albee Ning has been doing a great job accommodating my requests and itinerary changes. Remember the first itinerary is a rough draft and you may modify it to suit your tastes. Remember you can not do it all and see everything in 3 weeks. If the flight wasn't so long I would visit Southeast Asia more often. I will update my review in a few months. We don't leave for 9 more months. Asia Highlights is working well for me so far!More
Chiefray, Apr 2023
Perfect Trip To Thailand…
We had so much fun in Bangkok with Tanni and Tom as they kept laughing at all of our silly jokes. Paul, our guide and Chiang Mai was really thoughtful, fun and full of great information about the temples and sights. Thanks so much! Brian and MichelleMore
Scott Orchard, Mar 2023
I highly recommend Asia Highlights
I highly recommend Asia Highlights. I worked with Alisa and she is fantastic! I was planning my honeymoon trip, and I changed the destination multiple times. Each time, Alisa provided me an updated itinerary with activities that matched my interests. Whether I had a small change to an activity, a question about one of the arrangements, or a change or destination, Alisa was helpful, thoughtful, and knowledgeable, providing me with updated options in an extremely timely manner. In the end, despite the fact that I changed my mind on location multiple times, I ended up booking a 17 day trip to Thailand for this upcoming November. I am extremely excited to experience everything that Alisa planned for us. I recommend Asia Highlights to everyone and look forward to using them again on any other trips to Asia in the future. Thank you Alisa and Asia Highlights!More
Britt Rosen, Mar 2023
Three weeks encompassing Vietnam
A special shoutout to our last guide in Bangkok - Ms. Ka-Noon who spoiled us with her kindness and then got us through check in and security for our flight home in record time at that huge Bangkok airport.More
Deby, Feb 2023
Over the last 5 years we've used Asia…
Over the last 5 years we've used Asia highlights twice. And both times we've had fantastic vacations. Would not want to do it any different when we travel to Asia from now on. Sharon was fantastic. She was a wonderful agent who helped us nail down our trip and make everything go as smooth as possible.More
Todd Atwell, Feb 2023
Family Trip to Thailand
Our trip to Thailand comprised three generations of the family , ten people and an age range of 4 to 70 so a potentially difficult brief.Our itinerary over two weeks involved four locations, and a number of different trips and tours.From out arrival at an extremely busy Bangkok airport Asia Highlights were terrific.In each location we were met by a smiling , knowledgeable and professional guide who simply made everything easy and stress free for everyone.Our transportation was clean and comfortable . Transport was always ready for us at the agreed time and the drivers were excellent.There were so many highlights enjoyed by all the age groups. The floating houses , railway market and elephant sanctuary were particular favourites.We had one minor glitch with the accommodation in Phuket which was immediately dealt with by Tip. I think we would have struggled to resolve the problem by ourselves. So, thank you Asia Highlights , Cathy, Tip and tour guides Tanny, Sam and Lisa. It was a memorable holiday and we will be back.More
Roger Pyle, Feb 2023
Trip of a lifetime from Asia Highlights!
I recommend highly Asia Highlights as a travel company. Our travel consultant Albee took the time to connect with us during the planning process to make sure we were comfortable with our itinerary. When we arrived, we were met by our guide and all the details were attended to. They picked great hotels and tours. I often describe our trip as the trip of a lifetime! Would definitely use them again when we come back to AsiaMore
Nancy Parker, Feb 2023
Asia Highlights and Albee - highly recommended
Asia Highlights is very reliable agency and Albee is an amazing representative of the company. From the moment when we contacted her until our departure, the whole support we received was 6* level. She prepared our trip offer within few hours and afterwards she was extremely flexible to adjust as per our needs. In the period between the offer and the trip, Albee was always available for all our questions and supported us on the best possible way. During the trip she was again flexible to add new activities/transfers and this went on the smoothest possible way. Thank you, Albee and Asia Highlights. Definitely we will approach you again for our next Asian tripMore
AZ, Feb 2023
5 STAR CUSTOMER SERVICE BY MONICA
Monica is a very sweet young lady who speaks excellent English via email/WhatsApp, and knows the importance of excellent customer service.More
Trent, Jan 2023
We had an awesome experience with Asia Highlights
We started our trip in Bangkok, where Mr. Prassert our tour guide, met us. He was on time and the van was clean and well-maintained. Mr. Prassert was our guide for the 4 days we spent in Bangkok. He was helpful, kind, and willing to accommodate our pee and coffee breaks. The driver was safe and punctual. Next, we went to Chiang Mai.Gemma exceeded every expectation we had for our tour of Chiang Mai! She had a great attitude that made exploring the city fun and exciting, as well as an abundance of knowledge and experience. She was always spot on with figuring out logistics and coming up with unique ideas that suited our interests and schedules. Gemma was incredibly generous with her time and even walked us to security at the airport to make sure we could carry all of our luggage. That’s just one example of how far out of her way she went to make our trip easier and more enjoyable. Gemma was sincerely interested in making every minute of our trip count. We’re very grateful to have met her and feel like we have found a friend in Gemma! Our driver in Chiang Mai was also great and very accommodating to our changes in schedules.More
Lois Paskow, Dec 2022
Thailand & Cambodia 2022
Albee went above and beyond to make our trip perfect. She rearranged flights due to a mistake of mine. She made sure we were still picked up and escorted to the airport. I felt comfortable and safe with all our reps. She did an excellent job and I highly recommend her booking your next trip. Thank you, Albee.More
Karen Brooks, Dec 2022
Perfect vacation thanks to Albee we…
I can’t say enough about how much we appreciate all the efforts, attention to details and immediate responses to all questions that Albee and her team provided. The Asia Highlights team deserves more stars than the maximum allowed because of continually going above and beyond all expectations. Thanks Albee for making our vacation through south east Asia absolutely perfect!!!More
Michael Sharp, Dec 2022
2023 Chiang Mai CAD Yipeng Festival
We got early bird ticket and Bella was assisting us through whatsapp. Easy, competitive price, front row tickets. Thanks Bella, for being patient explaining everything to me. Highly recommended.More
lily hartati, Dec 2022
Bella has been an outstanding customer service rep
Bella has been an outstanding customer service rep. She was responsive and knowledgeable. Buying tickets from their website was super easy and the whole process was straightforward. Highly recommended.More
Khai, Nov 2022
I was ever so grateful to have a point…
I was ever so grateful to have a point of contact while in a foreign country for the first time, alone, that helped me through the Ins and outs of getting to and from my destination. Albee was readily available which brought me much comfort and feeling of safety. If in this part of the world again, I will not hesitate to use your services..More
Omega, Nov 2022
I booked tickets to the Chiang Mai Yi Peng Lantern Festival in Nov 2022. Bella was extremely responsive and helpful!!More
Bowen, Nov 2022
It is the attention to detail and what we specifically wanted to see that made the reservation experience so exciting.More
Peter Bongiovanni, Nov 2022
Suggested Itinerary for Inspiration
Your preferences design the real journey. We're ready to create a wonderful China and Vietnam tour for you.
Upon arrival, your private guide and driver will greet you at the airport and then drive you to your hotel. The rest of the day will be free for you to explore at your leisure.
- Start your day from the historic Tian’anmen Square.
- Explore the emperors' Forbidden City: get off the ordinary sightseeing route and listen to interesting stories of eight famous personalities that are not told by typical tour guides.
- Walk into the Hutongs and discover the traditional Beijing lifestyle.
- Enjoy an authentic Beijing roast duck dinner in a time-honored-brand restaurant.
- Explore the most-beautifully-restored section of the Great Wall —Mutianyu with round-way cable-car rides up and down.
- Visit the iconic Temple of Heaven where emperors prayed for good harvests for centuries. Appreciate the relaxed lifestyle of local seniors there.
- Drive to the most famous imperial garden in China — the Summer Palace. It is where emperors used to retreat to flee the summer heat. Take a boat ride on tranquil Kunming Lake in the heart of the vast garden.
- After lunch at a local restaurant, take a high-speed train to Xi’an (about 6 hours).
- Guide-accompanied railway station transfers in both Beijing and Xi’an are included.
- Discover the incredible Terracotta Army, which has guarded First Emperor Qin's tomb since 210 BC. Your guide will help you find your favorite terracotta warrior using a unique process designed by China Highlights.
- Visit a typical Shaanxi cave house and to learn how to make your own terracotta warrior there. Get to know traditional techniques used 2,000 years ago and try your hand at molding, carving, and painting.
- Walk on Xi’an’s City Wall. Hear the echoes of history and get an emperor's-eye view of the city.
- Visit one of the best museums in China — Shaanxi History Museum — which gives a perfect overview of Chinese history and is not to be missed.
- See Chinese-style architecture combined with dozens of historic Buddhist statues and murals at Big Wild Goose Pagoda, which is another landmark of Xi’an.
- Learn how to make Chinese dumplings in a local’s house and enjoy a home-cooked lunch.
- Transfer to Xi’an’s airport and fly to Guilin. Upon arrival, your guide and driver will greet you in the airport and transfer directly to your hotel.
- Travel on a smooth highway for 2 hours to the famous Longji Terraced Rice Fields. You can either walk up or take an electric buggy to get to the viewpoints.
- Appreciate awesome views over the rolling mountains tiered with lush rice paddies.
- Cook a local favorite — ‘bamboo tube rice’ — in a minority family house.
- Return to Guilin by late afternoon.
- Enjoy a 4-star Li River cruise (the highest level of cruise, offering better facilities and a buffet lunch) on your journey from Guilin to Yangshuo. The Li River is listed as one of the world's 15 best rivers for travelers by CNN.
- Arrive at your riverside resort in Yangshuo in afternoon. Sit back in relaxed setting with a nice cup of coffee — that’s what a vacation should be like!
- Enjoy a relaxing evening in Yangshuo.
- Explore the Yangshuo countryside by bike with your guide. Narrow single-lane trails lead you to secluded villages and karst-crowned fields.
- Get on a bamboo recliner on a traditional bamboo raft with a private punter to glide along the dreamy Yulong River.
- Say goodbye to Yangshuo and transfer to Guilin to connect with your flight to Shanghai. Upon arrival, we’ll transfer you directly your hotel.
- Visit Yu Garden, which is an exquisite classical garden, hidden and well-preserved among the high buildings.
- Walking along the Bund, you will learn about Shanghai's rise to super-size.
- Wander through the backstreets to get a glimpse of Shanghainese lifestyles.
- Be like a local as you hop on a public ferry among the crowds to cross the Huangpu River and slowly travel from old Shanghai to new Shanghai — Pudong New Area.
- There, take the fastest elevator in the world and ascend the second-highest building in the world — Shanghai Tower.
- As your China tour comes to its end, your private guide and driver will transfer you to Shanghai Airport for your onward flight.
- Upon arrival in Hanoi, your new Vietnam private guide and driver will greet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel.
- Explore Hanoi’s top attractions: Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, One Pillar Pagoda, the Temple of Literature, and Vietnam Museum of Ethnology.
- Hop on a cyclo (a local rickshaw) and catch a glimpse Hanoi’s city life, passing through the bustling and famed Old Quarter.
- Conclude your day by watching a long-loved local water puppet performance.
- After breakfast, you will be transferred from Hanoi to Halong Bay.
- Board your junk cruise at noon. This smaller craft is both more intimate and more authentic than the usual group-tour boats.
- Swim in the emerald waters of Tra Bau cove in Lan Ha Bay.
- Roll up your sleeves and learn how to make Vietnamese spring rolls.
- Try your hand at squid fishing in the evening or maybe another local activity you have interest in.
- Taste exquisite drinks and savor delicious food on board while enjoying the spectacular views.
- In the morning, after breakfast, kayak in the Ao Ech area to discover Ha Long’s hidden paradise — Lan Ha Bay.
- After brunch, transfer from Halong Bay back to Hanoi for your onward flight to Da Nang.
- Upon arrival in Da Nang, your new guide and driver will meet you at the airport and drive you to Hoi An.
- At a fishing village near Hoi An, experience the fishermen’s lifestyle. Cruise down Cua Dai River and try your hand at casting Vietnamese fishing nets.
- Paddle a uniquely-Vietnamese ‘round-basket-boat’ on tranquil coconut-tree-flanked waterways, just as the fisher-folk do traditionally.
- Learn more about Vietnamese culture through its food during an evening specialty-tasting tour.
- Ride through the ancient town and take a boat trip on the Hoai River for a dreamy night surrounded by colorful lanterns — hanging and floating.
- Have two rest day to spend at your leisure on Da Nang’s idyllic beaches.
- In the morning, transfer to Da Nang’s airport and board your flight to Can Tho. Upon arrival, your guide and driver will transfer you to the hotel.
- If you are full of energy and want to do some activities, we are happy to arrange Can Tho countryside cycling for you.
- Get up early to see the most-bustling floating market in the Mekong Delta.
- Have fun with a leisurely sampan ride through the picturesque canals of Cai Be.
- Transfer to Ho Chi Minh and stay overnight there.
- Discover Ho Chi Minh City’s turbulent history at its most historic landmarks: Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica of Saigon, Saigon Central Post Office, and Reunification Palace.
- Continue your tour at the informative War Remnants Museum to learn about ‘the American War’ from a Vietnamese perspective.
- Get an insight into the Saigonese lifestyle and its culture by tasting a cup of Vietnamese coffee with the locals at a popular street cafe.
- Head to the famous Cu Chi Tunnels, which reflect the hardships and resilience of the Vietnamese resistance fighters.
- Your 3-week Asia tour comes to its end on the southerly coast of Asia’s curvy-and-slender country. We trust you will now know China’s top four destinations and Vietnam’s ‘four slenders’! After breakfast, transfer to Ho Chi Minh Airport for your departure flight.
Ideas for Making This Trip Uniquely Yours
Special experiences can be added to brighten a honeymoon trip, a family vacation, a birthday, or satisfy personal interests.
Han Chinese Clothing and Customs Experience
For Couples and Family
Shanghai Chic by Night
Tailor-make a Vietnamese ao dai or another dress you like
For birthday/anniversary celebration
See the A O Show in Ho Chin Minh City
For those who like art
We select hotels with style and local features. Let us know your preferences and we'll find your ideal hotel.
A riverbank resort in Yangshuo
A modern design hotel in Xi'an
Michelin recommended hotel in Shanghai
Central located hotel in Beijing
Hotel with nostalgic style in Hanoi
Central located hotel in Ho Chi Minh
A riverbank resort in Hoi An
Our Service Includes:
- Private transfers and English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- 4-star accommodations for 21 nights
- Flights between cities mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels and lunches for every guided day
- Governmental taxes
Tour code: ah-4
Start planning your tailor-made tour now. Your 1:1 travel consultant will reply within 1 working day.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
Get Inspired with Our Sample Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.