Who Needs a Vietnam Visa
Most foreigners must obtain a visa to enter Vietnam, unless they are coming from one of the visa-exempt countries.
If the COVID-19 situation continues to be well under control in Vietnam, it is expected that e-visas for Vietnam will be available from July 2020, and foreign travelers will also be allowed to enter Phu Quoc with visa exemption then. This is a positive sign for international travel.
For more Asia travel tips during the coronavirus period, you can click here.
Free Visa Exemption
Citizens from 23 countries could enter Vietnam without a visa for various time periods. As the policy may change each year, we suggest that contact the Vietnam Embassies or Consulates for the latest policy.
Belarus, *Demark, *Finland, *France, *German, *Italy, *Japan, *Norway, *Russia, *South Korea, *Spain, *Sweden, and *United Kingdom
Brunei and Myanmar
Cambodia, Indonesia, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand,
*- are required to meet the following:
If travelers do not meet the requirements above, a valid pre-arranged visa is required before entering Vietnam. One can apply for it through an online visa agent or any Vietnam Embassy/Consulate. We highly recommend Visa on Arrival (VOA) for travelers entering Vietnam by an international flight landing in Hanoi, Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City.
Types of Vietnam Visa
With 20 types of Vietnam visas to choose, most foreigners apply for either Tourist Visa or Business Visa. As of 1 January 2015, under the Vietnam Law on Immigration, new visa codes with new durations have been updated, including: NG,LV,DN,NN DH,HN,PV,LD,DL,TT,VR,SQ.
Vietnam Tourists Visa (DL)
- For traveling purpose
- Including 1 month single entry and 1 month multiple entry
- Staying in Vietnam up to 30 days
- Allowing one-time extension of 30 days during travelers’ stay in Vietnam
- A valid passport with at least 6 months of validity and a recent passport-sized photo are required for online visa application or any Vietnam Embassy/Consulate application
Business Visa (DN)
- For people entering Vietnam for business, attending a conference, signing a contract, sales, etc.
- Valid for 3 months with single or multiple entrys
- A sponsor invite letter by a licensed Vietnamese company is required for the application through the Vietnam Embassy
- Other required materials include a valid passport with at least six months validity and two passport-sized photos
- Is only issued to escorted group tours by tour licensed companies. The maximum validity of this kind of visa is up to 5 days
- For application of this visa, travelers must show an air ticket to a third country after departing Vietnam and a detailed itinerary provided by a Vietnamese travel agency. The stamping fee is $5, and the processing fee to the travel agent is approximately $20.
- For individuals wishing to take a short tour to kill time before the next flight, you must apply for a tourist visa.
Diplomatic and Official Vietnam Visa
- It requires the applicant submitting an official letter approved by the concerned agencies of local government, foreign embassies or consulates accredited to the applicant’s country, or accredited international organizations in the applicant’s country.
- No fees are required.
Single or Multiple Entry Visa
- Both single and multiple entry visas are types of visa mentioned above.
- Visitors could apply for Tourist Visa and Business Visa with either single entry or multiple entry visas..
- Holders of single entry visa can enter Vietnam only once, while a multiple entry allows them visit Vietnam as many times as they can during the validity time of the visa.
- The stamping fee is paid at the first entry only.
- Travelers who plan to exit Vietnam and enter it again should hold a multiple entry visa (one month or three month). However, if only entering Vietnam for a transfer and not leaving the airport, a multiple entry visa is not required.
- For holders of a single entry visa, it is possible to apply for a multiple visa while in Vietnam. Local visa agents in Hanoi, Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City can handle such cases. Online visa agents also can provide this service. It takes seven working days. Different agents charge different service fees. Both the visa fee and service fee is higher than single entry.
- In order to save time and money, Asia Highlights recommends you take every possible situation into consideration before visa application, and apply for the most suitable the first time.
Explore Asia with Asia Highlights
At Asia Highlights we offer tailor-made tours through Asia, where you can enjoy all highlights as well as amazing cultural experiences. To get started, send us an email.