At dawn you can see sampans, with vegetables and fruit hanging on poles, being rowed slowly along and gathering at spots we usually call floating markets. Other boats which are basically floating restaurants, bars, and gas stations join the club. The river at sunrise is a picturesque morning hustle and bustle of southern Vietnamese life.
Nothing is more interesting than joining the crowd of buyers and sellers on the sampans, hopping between them for your first bowl of pho of the day, or snapping gorgeous pictures that will look great in your living room.
- Snap perfect pictures of sampans on the river at dawn
- Enjoy the sunrise at the biggest Floating Market in the Mekong Delta
- Experience the daily hustle and bustle of the local traditional market
- Join in the trading between the sampans
- Have your first cup of Vietnamese coffee on the floating cafe
Vietnam & UAE FANTASTIC tour! Thank you Albee Ning!
Albee was INCREDIBLE. She arranged a 9-day private tour of both North and South Vietnam. No stone was left unturned: a private cruise up the Mekong; excellent hotel reservations; personal, caring tour guides;More
Consumer, Jun 2020
We traveled with Asia Highlights…
My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful 5 1/2 week trip that was organized by the exceptional Ruby Zhao. We have traveled a lot and Ruby is the VERY BEST AGENT we have ever had!More
Lurinda Smith Barton Barnwell, Mar 2020
We were.very satisfied with Asia…Four Great Weeks in China and Viet Nam
Asia Highlights was very efficient at advising us on what to see and the best routes to take, but they were also very flexible in integrating our own ideas in regard of travel destinations and accommodations.More
Eva and Jim, Oct 2019
Trip to Vietnam with Asia Highlights was well above expectations
My 12-day private trip to Vietnam was a very rewarding experience, and every day was fantastic, and well above expectations. My trip was perfectly well prepared and organized by Lissy Syoo from Asia Highlights,More
cdietp, May 2019
We traveled with China Highlights in 2015 and were completely satisfied, so when they emailed that they now were arranging trips to SE Asia we didn't even consider looking at other tour companies.More
Terry, Feb 2019
7-Day Vietnam Tour - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Danang/Hoi An
Asia Highlights did a great job planning and executing our family’s trip around Vietnam. We have two young girls and wanted to have a balance of sightseeing and activities so nobody got bored.More
Andrew, Jan 2019
We would like to thank Asia Highlights
We would like to thank Asia Highlights for a wonderful trip. Lissy was a joy to work with, in planning a vacation that took into account all our interests and was able to give us so much more than we expected.More
Victor Cognato, Dec 2018
Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Just returned from Vietnam trip arranged by Albee at Asia Highlights.She was very helpful with the arrangements even when I requested multiple changes in the itinerary.More
Tom, Oct 2017
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia…
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia trip via Asia Highlights and had a wonderful experience. The hotels they chosed for us were all very food. the guides were all very professional and spoke good EnglishMore
Yumin Zheng, Feb 2017
Why Sign Up
The scene of local famers rowing their sampans towards a market spot at dawn is one of the most beautiful and amazing scenes you can experience in Vietnam.
You will be able to witness how the rivers in the Mekong Delta shape the economical activities of the locals. The daily hustle and bustle of floating markets offer a direct touch to the daily life of the inhabitants of the Mekong Delta.
You can start your journey at dawn, when the delta is still covered by darkness and morning mist and watch the sampans slowly gather into big market spots.
What It's Like
Floating markets are daily local markets that cater for the needs of local people. But as they offer a fantastic cultural experience, they have become a major part of Mekong Delta Trips, allowing tourists to be part of it.
The dry season between October and April might be the best time to visit, to avoid seasonal floods, and to enjoy the best weather.
Our driver will pick you up from your lodging place. Since the floating markets start at 5 am in the morning, it is advisable to stay at a nearby hotel.
The time of pick up will depend on where you stay; do not hesitate to contact us for the details.
Top Floating Markets
Here we list the top floating markets worth a visit. They are a major part of the locals' traditional economy, and offer you genuine local experiences. The markets below are located at accessible places, making it optional for you to visit and then continue your journey by exploring nearby islands.
Bear in mind that the dry season between October and April might be the best time to visit, to avoid seasonal floods and to enjoy the best weather.
Cai Rang Floating Market
Cai Rang can be reached in 30 minutes by boat from Can Tho (around 3 to 4 hours' drive from Ho Chi Minh City). It is one of the three biggest floating markets in the Mekong Delta. Trading starts at 5 am and the market remains busy until around 9 am.
Most articles for sale are seasonal local crops, from watermelons to lettuce. All such products are proudly hung on a long pole, allowing people to see them from afar, like silent but effective advertisements. The traders here are mostly wholesale and resellers, but you can see smaller-scale traders as well.
Join in the hustle and bustle, hop inside the floating café or sit on the deck beside it, for your first dose of caffeine of the day, while enjoying the unique scene.
Cai Be Floating Market
An hour by boat from Vinh Long takes you to the small town of Cai Be, the location of one of the biggest floating markets in the Mekong Delta. The market has its own peculiar charm, with an old French church in the background and a special angle on the serene sunrise over the Tien River.
Trading starts early, at 5 am. The market is smaller than Cai Rang in scale and less crowded, mostly for locals, but with some wholesalers selling fruit and vegetables. You can reach Cai Be by first lodging at Can Tho, or by combining it with a day trip to Vinh Long.
Your safety and satisfaction are very important to us, so we cooperate only with experienced, knowledgeable and friendly local guides, and visit only places prearranged on the itinerary. There are no surprise stops at random shops in between.
Tips for a Floating Market Visit
Floating markets are simple and traditional daily trading centers for locals, but may seem overwhelming to tourists, as they hop between sampans, either for fresh coconut water or simply just to know how the locals buy and sell.
So visiting a floating market requires some planning, especially regarding what to pack.
Get Up Early
You will have to stay at the Mekong Delta and get up early if you don't want to miss the scenes of local vendors hand-rowing their boats with long bamboo sticks and slowly reaching the floating market site; or being able to compare the river before and after floating market.
Set the alarm or ask at the front desk of the hotel for a morning call, and make sure you're ready by 4 or 5 am.
Get a Legitimate Tour Guide
If you walk around alone or with only your traveling companions, you may well be approached by illegitimate roaming guides.
Please bear in mind that it's safer to have an experienced, legitimate local guide who will bring you safely to places you want to go, without unexpected stops at shops and factories or any places you prefer not to visit.
You will thank yourself for not bringing too much stuff in your bag when you visit a floating market; a small backpack with sunblock, a hat, sunglasses, a bottle of water, your camera and other valuables, should be enough.
If you check out of your hotel, your luggage will be placed safely in our private car, and the car will wait for you around the floating market or pick-up site.
Food and Drink
Surprises are sometimes nice but food allergy surprises are not enjoyable. If you just started your Vietnam trip, be careful and always bear in mind your food allergy, if you have one. The best way to prevent problems is to be cautious with the food you try, and only drink bottled water.
Explore Asia with Asia Highlights
At Asia Highlights we offer tailor-made tours through Asia, where you can enjoy all highlights as well as amazing cultural experiences. To get started, send us an email.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 10-Day Best of Vietnam with Mekong Delta
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 2-Week Vietnam Family-with-Teenagers Holiday
- 13-Day Vietnam Classic Tour with Sapa
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 3-Week China and Vietnam Adventure Tour
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2024
- How to Plan Your First Trip to Vietnam — 7 Easy Steps
- How to Plan an Incredible Family Trip to Vietnam in 2024/2025
- Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Cost, Best Time, Places to See
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2024/2025)
- How Long to Spend in Vietnam? - 7 Days, 10 Days, 2 Weeks...
- 10 Days in Vietnam: 5 Best Itineraries in 2024 for First-Timers
- 2 Weeks in Vietnam: Top 4 Itineraries (with map)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How Much Does a Vietnam Trip Cost? (With Cost Breakdown)
- Vietnam Weather in January: Cool & Dry, Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in February: Cool & Dry, Insider Tips for Peak Season
- Vietnam Weather in March
- Vietnam Weather in April: Still Good Time to Go? Insider Tips
- Vietnam Weather in May: Rainy & Hot? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in June: Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in July: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- Vietnam Weather in August: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in September: Still Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Vietnam Weather in November 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Vietnam Weather in December 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.