Ho Chi Minh City, named after revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh, used to be known by the name Saigon. 'Saigon' is still used unofficially in some circles.
As the then capital of the Republic of Vietnam, the city went through a tough time during the Vietnamese War, from 1955 to 1975. You can still see the legacy of war here.
Today, Ho Chi Minh is the largest city in Vietnam. Although its economy is developing rapidly, it still feels full of French romanticism and influence, earning it the nickname, Paris of the Orient.
PS: Vietnam has eased its travel restrictions from March 16, 2022. All travelers are exempt from quarantine to visit Vietnam now as long as you're fully vaccinated.
Witness a Twentieth-Century Miracle - the Cu Chi Tunnels
Recommended length of visit: half-a-day to a day
Even if you're not a history buff, the Cu Chi tunnels are interesting as a legacy of great significance for understanding the American war in Vietnam.
The tunnels stretch for about 200 km and incorporate water wells, barns, meeting rooms, hospitals and dormitories. They played an important role in resisting American invasion.
When you crawl through the tunnels, you'l be amazed by the intelligence of the Vietnamese. You'll also be enlightened as to how Vietnamese lived in the underground tunnels and survived the war.
Vietnam & UAE FANTASTIC tour! Thank you Albee Ning!
Albee was INCREDIBLE. She arranged a 9-day private tour of both North and South Vietnam. No stone was left unturned: a private cruise up the Mekong; excellent hotel reservations; personal, caring tour guides;More
Consumer, Jun 2020
We traveled with Asia Highlights…
My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful 5 1/2 week trip that was organized by the exceptional Ruby Zhao. We have traveled a lot and Ruby is the VERY BEST AGENT we have ever had!More
Lurinda Smith Barton Barnwell, Mar 2020
We were.very satisfied with Asia…Four Great Weeks in China and Viet Nam
Asia Highlights was very efficient at advising us on what to see and the best routes to take, but they were also very flexible in integrating our own ideas in regard of travel destinations and accommodations.More
Eva and Jim, Oct 2019
Trip to Vietnam with Asia Highlights was well above expectations
My 12-day private trip to Vietnam was a very rewarding experience, and every day was fantastic, and well above expectations. My trip was perfectly well prepared and organized by Lissy Syoo from Asia Highlights,More
cdietp, May 2019
We traveled with China Highlights in 2015 and were completely satisfied, so when they emailed that they now were arranging trips to SE Asia we didn't even consider looking at other tour companies.More
Terry, Feb 2019
7-Day Vietnam Tour - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Danang/Hoi An
Asia Highlights did a great job planning and executing our family’s trip around Vietnam. We have two young girls and wanted to have a balance of sightseeing and activities so nobody got bored.More
Andrew, Jan 2019
We would like to thank Asia Highlights
We would like to thank Asia Highlights for a wonderful trip. Lissy was a joy to work with, in planning a vacation that took into account all our interests and was able to give us so much more than we expected.More
Victor Cognato, Dec 2018
Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Just returned from Vietnam trip arranged by Albee at Asia Highlights.She was very helpful with the arrangements even when I requested multiple changes in the itinerary.More
Tom, Oct 2017
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia…
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia trip via Asia Highlights and had a wonderful experience. The hotels they chosed for us were all very food. the guides were all very professional and spoke good EnglishMore
Yumin Zheng, Feb 2017
Meditate on the Importance of Peace - the War Remnants Museum
Recommended length of visit: a day
The War Remnants Museum, once known as the Museum of American War Crimes, opened to the public in 1975.
War machinery, including helicopters with rocket launchers, tanks, fighter planes, and bombs, is presented in the museum along with explanatory text. There are also many photographs: battlefield photos and post-war photos of victims.
The texts and pictures are silent, but after visiting, you may hear the cry of war echoing in your mind. Pictures of ruins scarring the land may also be etched in your memory.
On reflection, you may realize that such history is not just for the record, but serves as a stark warning about the importance of peace.
Walk Round the History of Modern Vietnam - Reunification Palace
Recommended length of visit: two to three hours
Reunification Palace was built between 1962 and 1966, during the period of French colonization. It served as the presidential palace of the regime of South Vietnam, from 1967 to 1975.
The palace is a white building with four floors, more than a hundred splendid and magnificent halls, a helicopter deck on the roof, and a basement. The total floor area is 120,000 square meters. The surrounding complex includes spacious gardens.
After a visit to the palace, you will know more about Vietnam's modern history.
Marvel at Some Great Architecture - Notre Dame Cathedral
Recommended length of visit: half-an-hour
Notre Dame Cathedral, one of the landmarks of Ho Chi Minh, is located in the center of the city near the Central Post Office. This 19th-century gothic building is a legacy of the days of French colonization.
The cathedral is modeled after Notre Dame in Paris. It's said that all its red bricks are from France. After more than a century, their color hasn't faded, loaning the building another name, Red Cathedral.
You will marvel at this gorgeous building with its four-ton statue of Mary between the spires, its two 40-meter-tall bell towers and its exquisite reliefs in the porch.
The church is a place of worship. It was sculpted and built so magnificently, however, that it makes everyone simply stand and marvel at the wonderful architecture.
Revert to the Letter-Writing Era - the Central Post Office
Recommended length of visit: half-an-hour to an hour
When did you last write a letter with pen and paper? Before humanity entered the digital age? When you walk into this hundred-year-old office, you can't help feeling like picking up your pen again.
The Central Post Office was designed by a French architect and built between 1886 and 1891. It is a grand and classic building.
Many details will impress: the carved wooden telephone booths, a magnificent tiled floor, fascinating historical maps of South Vietnam, Saigon and Cholon (a suburb of Saigon) on the walls, and barrel-vaulted halls.
Witness a Different Life - a Mekong Cruise
Recommended length of visit: half-a-day
If you would like to experience a different Ho Chi Minh, without traffic jams, magnificent French structures, or exquisite food, how about taking a boat-ride?
Try a Mekong cruise, with fleeting boats, floating houses, and traditional Vietnamese cuisine.
On the cruise, you will visit an early-morning floating market, and see a local temple, a rice factory, and a honey factory. Watch how people harvest fruit and observe the local way of life. Enjoy local music and cuisine.
Enjoy Vietnamese Culture - the Water Puppet Theatre
Recommended length of visit: half-a-day
The Water Puppet Theatre, with a history of a thousand years, is the quintessence of Vietnamese culture.
The stage is set on water and puppets are manipulated by people who stand in the water. The show comprises seventeen short stories, each three to five minutes long. The stories are from folklore, customs and tales of Vietnam. Through this show, you can learn more about Vietnamese culture.
Be a Vietnamese Chef - Saigon Cooking Class
Fancy a cooking course in Hoi An, a street-food walk in Hanoi and a scooter tour in Saigon? The Saigon Cooking Class has got you covered.
In the morning, your guide will show you round the local market, and teach you how to select the freshest vegetables and bargain with local people.
Back in the classroom, do as instructed and you can learn to be your very own Vietnamese chef.
Explore Asia with Asia Highlights
At Asia Highlights we offer tailor-made tours through Asia, where you can enjoy all highlights as well as amazing cultural experiences. To get started, send us an email.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 10-Day Best of Vietnam with Mekong Delta
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 2-Week Vietnam Family-with-Teenagers Holiday
- 13-Day Vietnam Classic Tour with Sapa
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 3-Week China and Vietnam Adventure Tour
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2024
- How to Plan Your First Trip to Vietnam — 7 Easy Steps
- How to Plan an Incredible Family Trip to Vietnam in 2024/2025
- Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Cost, Best Time, Places to See
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2024/2025)
- How Long to Spend in Vietnam? - 7 Days, 10 Days, 2 Weeks...
- 10 Days in Vietnam: 5 Best Itineraries in 2024 for First-Timers
- 2 Weeks in Vietnam: Top 4 Itineraries (with map)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How Much Does a Vietnam Trip Cost? (With Cost Breakdown)
- Vietnam Weather in January: Cool & Dry, Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in February: Cool & Dry, Insider Tips for Peak Season
- Vietnam Weather in March
- Vietnam Weather in April: Still Good Time to Go? Insider Tips
- Vietnam Weather in May: Rainy & Hot? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in June: Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in July: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- Vietnam Weather in August: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in September: Still Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Vietnam Weather in November, Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Vietnam Weather in December 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.