On Dong Khoi Street in District 1, which spans a number of city blocks, you can observe traditional French architecture surrounded by modern sky-rises, find stores selling popular international merchandise, and relax in comfortable cafes and restaurants.
Although famous for its history, Dong Khoi Street has undergone many changes. Once, it was the epicenter of power during French colonization and at that time was known as Rue Catinat. Today, Dong Khoi Street has become the center of Ho Chi Minh City's commercial activity, as well as a central destination for tourists.
- Explore the city at your own pace
- Observe the mixture of French and Vietnamese architecture
- Visit unique historic sites
- Watch an AO Show and learn more about traditional Vietnamese life
- See Vietnamese street-food culture first-hand
Vietnam & UAE FANTASTIC tour! Thank you Albee Ning!
Albee was INCREDIBLE. She arranged a 9-day private tour of both North and South Vietnam. No stone was left unturned: a private cruise up the Mekong; excellent hotel reservations; personal, caring tour guides;More
Consumer, Jun 2020
We traveled with Asia Highlights…
My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful 5 1/2 week trip that was organized by the exceptional Ruby Zhao. We have traveled a lot and Ruby is the VERY BEST AGENT we have ever had!More
Lurinda Smith Barton Barnwell, Mar 2020
We were.very satisfied with Asia…Four Great Weeks in China and Viet Nam
Asia Highlights was very efficient at advising us on what to see and the best routes to take, but they were also very flexible in integrating our own ideas in regard of travel destinations and accommodations.More
Eva and Jim, Oct 2019
Trip to Vietnam with Asia Highlights was well above expectations
My 12-day private trip to Vietnam was a very rewarding experience, and every day was fantastic, and well above expectations. My trip was perfectly well prepared and organized by Lissy Syoo from Asia Highlights,More
cdietp, May 2019
We traveled with China Highlights in 2015 and were completely satisfied, so when they emailed that they now were arranging trips to SE Asia we didn't even consider looking at other tour companies.More
Terry, Feb 2019
7-Day Vietnam Tour - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Danang/Hoi An
Asia Highlights did a great job planning and executing our family’s trip around Vietnam. We have two young girls and wanted to have a balance of sightseeing and activities so nobody got bored.More
Andrew, Jan 2019
We would like to thank Asia Highlights
We would like to thank Asia Highlights for a wonderful trip. Lissy was a joy to work with, in planning a vacation that took into account all our interests and was able to give us so much more than we expected.More
Victor Cognato, Dec 2018
Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Just returned from Vietnam trip arranged by Albee at Asia Highlights.She was very helpful with the arrangements even when I requested multiple changes in the itinerary.More
Tom, Oct 2017
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia…
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia trip via Asia Highlights and had a wonderful experience. The hotels they chosed for us were all very food. the guides were all very professional and spoke good EnglishMore
Yumin Zheng, Feb 2017
There are countless attractions along Dong Khoi Street. From shops to historic buildings, you really can find it all here. Below is a list of recommended places you probably won't want to miss.
Notre Dame Cathedral
The Cathedral's sweeping red-brick walls and neo-Romanesque architecture make it unique anywhere in the world, but it is especially striking when contrasted with the local buildings surrounding it.
If you visit the cathedral, expect to find countless opportunities for good photographs of the exterior. Inside, you will have an opportunity to take pictures of the main cathedral, but most of the church is reserved for members of the congregation, so be mindful of signs and directions.
Location: Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City 70000
People's Committee Building
The People's Committee Building is one of the oldest and largest examples of French architecture in Ho Chi Minh City. It's easy to find, on the corner of Dong Khoi Street and Nguyen Hue Street.
Originally named Hotel De' Ville, the building now serves as a government office and tourist destination. You can expect to see unique architectural designs in the government building, for they were designed by the famous French architect Gardes.
Location: 86 Le Thanh Ton Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City 70000
Saigon Opera House
Go to the Saigon Opera House to watch a famous AO Show. AO Shows are both entertaining and educational. They feature classic Vietnamese music mixed with Cirque de Sole style performances that depict traditional Vietnamese life.
The Opera house was built in 1989 during the Third French republic. It is a work of architectural beauty.
After your stop at Saigon Opera House you can simply walk out the door and turn right to find the historic Continental Hotel. Built in the 1880s during French colonial rule, the building is another example of well-preserved French architecture.
A stay at the Continental Hotel is surprisingly affordable, but make sure to book well in advance. The hotel has its own restaurant and members of staff are famously helpful.
Location: 132-134 Dong Khoi Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Getting to Dong Khoi Street
Dong Khoi Street is the main axis that cuts through the middle of Ho Chi Minh City's Historic District 1. It connects the Notre Dame Cathedral to the Saigon River. To find it you can simply head to District 1 and then locate the Cathedral. Most local taxi drivers will also know it well.
The easiest way is to book a tour of the street. You can book an Urban City tour or a Street Food tour. Guides will take you to popular sites and teach you more about the local culture.
Need to Know Before You Go
Dong Khoi Street is best-known for its shopping. As such, it can attract scammers and con artists, but overall it is very safe. Keep these tips in mind if you plan to travel to Dong Khoi Street:
- Take cash, as most street vendors will not accept a card.
- The street is long and Vietnam is hot, so make sure to stay hydrated.
- Be careful with your belongings, especially when making purchases or withdrawing money from an ATM.
- Wear comfortable shoes and bring a light jacket or umbrella as the weather can change quickly.
Visit Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Asia Highlights welcomes the chance to help you design your perfect trip to Vietnam. Our knowledgeable staff will assist you in selecting destinations, accommodations and activities that best suit your requirements.
Check out the following links to learn more about our tours and get a head start on planning your hassle-free vacation today!
- 10-Day Best of Vietnam with Mekong Delta
- 13-Day Vietnam Classic Wonders with Sapa
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Tour
You might like to read
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 10-Day Best of Vietnam with Mekong Delta
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 2-Week Vietnam Family-with-Teenagers Holiday
- 13-Day Vietnam Classic Tour with Sapa
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 3-Week China and Vietnam Adventure Tour
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2024
- How to Plan Your First Trip to Vietnam — 7 Easy Steps
- How to Plan an Incredible Family Trip to Vietnam in 2024/2025
- Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Cost, Best Time, Places to See
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2024/2025)
- How Long to Spend in Vietnam? - 7 Days, 10 Days, 2 Weeks...
- 10 Days in Vietnam: 5 Best Itineraries in 2024 for First-Timers
- 2 Weeks in Vietnam: Top 4 Itineraries (with map)
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2024/2025)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How Much Does a Vietnam Trip Cost? (With Cost Breakdown)
- Vietnam Weather in January: Cool & Dry, Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in February: Cool & Dry, Insider Tips for Peak Season
- Vietnam Weather in March
- Vietnam Weather in April: Still Good Time to Go? Insider Tips
- Vietnam Weather in May: Rainy & Hot? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in June: Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in July: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- Vietnam Weather in August: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in September: Still Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Vietnam Weather in November, Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Vietnam Weather in December 2023, Travel Tips for First-Timers
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.