Communication in Vietnam – Wifi, 3G, post, and phone – has vastly improved over the last 10 years, and continues to develop as the country rushes into modernity.
Even with a working phone, traveling in a new country can be a stressful experience. Our guides would be happy to do the work of getting you a SIM card and making sure you have access to phone and internet.
How to Get a SIM Card for Your Phone
So you have decided to go to Vietnam and now you want to make sure you can make calls once you get there.
Before you start thinking about buying a SIM card, check with your cell-phone service provider to see if they offer an international plan. Some providers and plans offer free international data for a few weeks, while others have international-use deals.
The price of these deals varies greatly and is dependent on the user's needs.
If you plan to be making a lot of phone calls or need to use large amounts of data, getting a local SIM card may be the cheaper option. Check first with your service provider to see if your current contract offers international services.
As with bank cards, be sure to alert your service provider if you are leaving the country. Before you go, make sure you are aware of any costs of using your mobile phone abroad, and any limitations you might face.
Vietnam & UAE FANTASTIC tour! Thank you Albee Ning!
Albee was INCREDIBLE. She arranged a 9-day private tour of both North and South Vietnam. No stone was left unturned: a private cruise up the Mekong; excellent hotel reservations; personal, caring tour guides;More
Consumer, Jun 2020
We traveled with Asia Highlights…
My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful 5 1/2 week trip that was organized by the exceptional Ruby Zhao. We have traveled a lot and Ruby is the VERY BEST AGENT we have ever had!More
Lurinda Smith Barton Barnwell, Mar 2020
We were.very satisfied with Asia…Four Great Weeks in China and Viet Nam
Asia Highlights was very efficient at advising us on what to see and the best routes to take, but they were also very flexible in integrating our own ideas in regard of travel destinations and accommodations.More
Eva and Jim, Oct 2019
Trip to Vietnam with Asia Highlights was well above expectations
My 12-day private trip to Vietnam was a very rewarding experience, and every day was fantastic, and well above expectations. My trip was perfectly well prepared and organized by Lissy Syoo from Asia Highlights,More
cdietp, May 2019
We traveled with China Highlights in 2015 and were completely satisfied, so when they emailed that they now were arranging trips to SE Asia we didn't even consider looking at other tour companies.More
Terry, Feb 2019
7-Day Vietnam Tour - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Danang/Hoi An
Asia Highlights did a great job planning and executing our family’s trip around Vietnam. We have two young girls and wanted to have a balance of sightseeing and activities so nobody got bored.More
Andrew, Jan 2019
We would like to thank Asia Highlights
We would like to thank Asia Highlights for a wonderful trip. Lissy was a joy to work with, in planning a vacation that took into account all our interests and was able to give us so much more than we expected.More
Victor Cognato, Dec 2018
Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Just returned from Vietnam trip arranged by Albee at Asia Highlights.She was very helpful with the arrangements even when I requested multiple changes in the itinerary.More
Tom, Oct 2017
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia…
Just came back from Vietnam/Cambodia trip via Asia Highlights and had a wonderful experience. The hotels they chosed for us were all very food. the guides were all very professional and spoke good EnglishMore
Yumin Zheng, Feb 2017
Once you arrive at the airport in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City you can purchase SIM cards straight from a vending machine.
If you are unsure about the size of the card you will need, or distrustful of the vending-machine system, simply walk around the airport until you see any store that sells mobile phones or mobile phone accessories. Expect the English speaking staff at these stores to be very helpful.
Should you not make it out of the airport with the SIM card you desire, fear not, as you can purchase one at any convenience store or phone store around the city.
Viettel is Vietnam's largest phone service provider and you can find a Viettel SIM card for around $10. This generally means paying $3 for the card and $7 towards a balance. A moderate phone user can expect this amount to last for around a week.
If you plan to be using lots of data or streaming videos, it is a good idea to double the amount on the card. Once you pay for the SIM card you can simply return to any stall advertising Viettel products to 'top it up'.
MobiFone and VinaFone are Viettel's two main competitors. The staff here at Asia Highlights has had the best personal experience with Viettel, especially for data coverage, but all three companies will provide the same basic services. If you book a tour to Vietnam with Asia Highlights our guides will assist you with the phone-card process.
It is getting easier and easier to get online in Vietnam. Most hotels offer their customers useable Wifi networks, though some may come at an additional cost, so be sure to check before booking.
Around the city, larger coffee shops and cafés will have WIFI you can connect to if you pay for a drink.
If you are using internet in a café or public place, avoid doing banking or checking personal information.
Buu Diens or post offices are located liberally around every major city in Vietnam. Traveling to a more rural area? No problem, you will find them there too. The postal service is both well-developed and reliable.
You can send anything from a postcard to a package within the country for less than you would expect. Mailing items abroad, especially larger ones, can be more expensive. For overseas mail you might turn to a private company such as FedEx, DHL, or UPS.
You might like to read
- Top 9 Destinations in Vietnam
- Top Things to Do in Vietnam
- Top Cafés in Vietnam
- Top 9 Attractions in Ho Chi Minh City
Visit Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Asia Highlights welcomes the chance to help you design your perfect trip to Vietnam. Our knowledgeable staff will assist you in selecting destinations, accommodations and activities that best suit your requirements.
Check out the following links to learn more about our tours and get a head start on planning your hassle-free vacation today!
You might like:
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 12-Day Essential Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- 16-Day Private Vietnam and Bali Journey of Relaxation
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- 17-Day Private tour to Myanmar, Vietnam and Laos
- 12-Day Laos to Vietnam Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 28-Day Grand Indochina Tour
- 8-Day from South Vietnam to North Cambodia
- 3-Week China and Vietnam Adventure Tour
- 10 Days in Vietnam: 5 Top Itineraries for First-Timers, Couples, and Families
- How to Spend 2 Weeks in Vietnam: Top 4 Itineraries
- How Long to Spend in Vietnam: Itinerary Ideas for Families/Couples
- How to Plan a 3-Week Vietnam Itinerary (Top 2 Options)
- 7 Days in Vietnam: 6 Best Itinerary Ideas for First Timers, Families and Couples
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2023/2024)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2023/2024)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2023/2024)
- How to Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Entry Requirements, Itinerary...
- Vietnam Weather in January: Cool & Dry, Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in February: Cool & Dry, Insider Tips for Peak Season
- Vietnam Weather in March
- Vietnam Weather in April: Still Good Time to Go? Insider Tips
- Vietnam Weather in May: Rainy & Hot? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in June: Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in July: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go and Travel Tips
- Vietnam Weather in August: Too Hot & Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in September: Still Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in October: Still Rain? Where to Visit?
- Vietnam Weather in November: Sunny or Rainy? Best Places to Go
- Vietnam Weather in December: Sunny or Rainy? Best Places to Go
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.