How to Get and Use a Vietnam Visa on Arrival
The Visa on Arrival (VOA) paperwork itself is not a full visa, but an approval letter which is required before departing for Vietnam. After applying online for the visa, you’ll be sent a Vietnam visa approval letter which you can use to get on your plane to Vietnam.
The procedure is easy:
- Apply for the VOA online through a Vietnam visa website or your travel agent who booked a package tour for you. Arrival date and the exact name of your arrival airport in Vietnam are required. The service fee charged by the visa websites usually ranges to US$9 and upwards.
- Receive an email of the official Vietnam visa approval letter issued by the Vietnam Immigration Department. It takes two working days. Once you get the approval letter, double-check it to make sure everything on it is correct.
- Print out the approval letter and prepare all the required materials including two passport-sized photos (4cm*6cm). Some airlines may require you to present the approval letter before boarding.
- Take all the required documents along on your trip to Vietnam
- Present the approval letter and photos at the VOA counter when arriving at the airport.
- Pay the stamping fee and get a full visa. It costs US$25 for one month and three month single entry visas, US$50 for one month and three month multiple entry visas.
You may also get an entry and exit form (Form N1) from the visa website, which we recommend you complete and print off in advance to save time.
Note that during Vietnam public holidays like Tet (the Vietnamese New Year), all visa applications will be delayed! Avoid holidays while applying for the visa.
Vietnam Visa Approval Letter
The Vietnam visa approval letter is issued by the Immigration Department and is valid at the international airports only. You need to apply online through either the visa website or your travel agent. When applying for the VOA, you will be asked the following:
- Your full name as shown on your passport
- Gender: male or female
- Present nationality as shown on your passport
- Date of birth
- Passport number along with passport expiry date
- Proposed arrival date in Vietnam. You can only enter Vietnam on the entry date or after the date of your visa shown. Keep in mind the time zone differences!
- The airport you will be arriving at
- Your purpose of visiting Vietnam
- Type of Vietnam visa you want to apply for: one-month or three-month single entry visa, or one-month or three-month multiple entry visa
- If accompanied by children, they are also required to apply with their own passports and pay the same fees for their visa.
- When applying for a Vietnam visa, you need to make sure that your passport has at least six months validity remaining from the arrival date to Vietnam.
- When the email of the approval letter and the entry-exit form is received, it is necessary to double check to see if everything is correct.
- Sometimes visa websites process the applications in group. In this situation, you may get your letter with information of other people, including their nationality, dates of birth and passport numbers. If you need a private letter only bearing your name and your families’ name, let them know when applying.
- For three month multiple entry visa application, please check with the visa website or your travel agent if you are qualified to obtain one.
We can supply a visa approval letter to our clients for free, once a tour is confirmed with us.
For independent travelers to apply for a visa, the following websites are recommended:
When arriving at the international airports of Hanoi, Da Nang or Ho Chi Minh City, you only need to go to one of Vietnam’s airport VOA offices to get your full visa with a Vietnam visa approval letter, a completed entry and exit form (Form N1), your passport, your passport photo, and the visa fee (in cash, in US dollars or Vietnamese dong)
See more on Three Ways of Obtaining a Visa for Vietnam
Urgent Visa on Arrival
Some visa agents handle urgent VOA in one working day, four working hours or even one working hour. One-hour urgent VOA service is only available for one-month single visa, but one-day and four-hour VOA services are applicable to other types of visas.
If you apply for it before 10:00 Vietnamese time, you will get the approval letter on the same day for one-day service and get it even by 12:00 pm for four-hour service.
Get a Vietnam Visa from a Third Country
It is possible to apply for a Vietnam visa when you are traveling in other Southeast Asian countries, e.g. Cambodia and Laos. Visa application can be done through online visa agents or local visa agents. The cost includes service fees charged by visa agents and visa fees charged by the VOA office at the airport.
If you need to get the visa on the same day, you can only get a visa for 15 days (single/multiple). One month single/multiple entry visas require two working days, i.e. you get the visa on the next working day.
Visit Vietnam with Asia Highlights
Asia Highlights welcomes the chance to help you design your perfect trip to Vietnam and supply a Vietnam visa approval letter if you need. Our knowledgeable staff will assist you in selecting destinations, accommodations and activities that best suit your requirements.
Check out the following links to learn more about our tours and get a head start on planning your hassle-free vacation today!