14-Day Classic Vietnam and Thailand Tour
This classic itinerary is specially designed for people taking their first trip to Asia for a 2-week vacation. From the bustling cities and floating markets to the historic sites and natural wonders, and from the superlative landscapes to the atmospheric temples, Thailand and Vietnam have it all.
You will see the main attractions and have insider experiences during this trip.
- Hop on a local cyclo passing through the famed Old Quarter and catch a glimpse of city life in Hanoi.
- Take a relaxing overnight cruise in the beautiful Halong Bay.
- Bike through the idyllic countryside near Hoi An and enjoy a basket boat ride to the Cua Dai Sea.
- Walk into the magnificent Grand Palace and Wat Pho in Bangkok.
- Cruise along Bangkok’s ancient canals and visit the bustling floating market and railway market.
- Spend some days relaxing by the wonderful beaches in Phuket.
Itinerary in detail
This sample itinerary provides inspiration, yet your preferences design the real journey. Following our Tailor-made Guidelines to create a wonderful India holiday in your way.
Day 1 Hanoi Arrival, Vietnam
Upon arrival, your private guide and driver will greet you at the airport and then drive you to your hotel. The rest of the day will be free for you to explore at your leisure.
Day 2 Hanoi City Tour with a Cyclo Ride in the Old Quarter
You will explore the charming city of Hanoi with its top attractions: the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the One Pillar Pagoda, the Temple of Literature,nd the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology.
Hop on a local cyclo (a rickshaw) and catch a glimpse of city life by traveling around the bustling streets and quiet alleys, passing through the famed Old Quarter.
Conclude your day by watching an entertaining water puppet performance.
Day 3 An Overnight Cruise in Halong Bay
breakfast, lunch, and dinner
After breakfast, you will be transferred from Hanoi to Halong Bay. Board the boat from your selected cruise at noon.
Your first destination is Trinh Nu Cave, one of the finest sunlight-filled caves in Halong Bay, covering an area of 2,000 square meters with a stunning assortment of stalactites and stalagmites.
Swim in the “love story” area of Halong Bay. Taste exquisite drinks from a vast selection in an open bar on board while enjoying the panoramic view of Halong Bay. Join in with other interesting activities on board.
Day 4 Halong Bay to Hanoi to Da Nang to Hoi An
In the morning, you will visit the largest and most renowned cave, Sung Sot Cave.
After brunch, you will be transferred from Halong Bay to Hanoi for your onward flight to Da Nang. Upon arrival, your guide and driver will meet you at the airport and drive you to Hoi An.
Day 5 A Day’s Eco Tour in Hoi An with a Basket Boat Ride
Meet your guide and ride on a bicycle to a small local village where you will learn about local farming and try it yourself.
Continue your trip with a basket boat ride to the Cua Dai Sea where the end of the Thu Bon River meets the ocean. There, a local fisherman will teach you how to fish using traditional methods.
Get back in the basket boat and explore the water coconut palm garden. Enjoy a seafood lunch before returning to your hotel by bicycle.
Trip note: If you can’t ride, we can also arrange a car transfer to and from the village for you during the trip.
Day 6 Hoi An Departure and Ho Chi Minh City Arrival
Your private guide and driver will transfer you from Hoi An to Da Nang for the onward flight to Ho Chi Minh City.
Upon arrival, your guide and driver will greet you at the airport and drive you to your hotel. Take the rest of the day to explore the city on your own.
Day 7 Ho Chi Minh City Tour with the Cu Chi Tunnels
You will discover Ho Chi Minh City’s turbulent history by visiting the most historic landmarks: Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica of Saigon, Saigon Central Post Office, and Reunification Palace.
Continue your trip to visit the informative War Remnants Museum and learn about the American War from the perspective of the Vietnamese.
Have an insight into the Saigonese lifestyle and culture by tasting a cup of coffee at a famed street café like the locals.
Head to the famous Cu Chi Tunnels, which reflect the hardships and resilience of the Vietnamese in history.
Day 8 Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok
Your Vietnam tour will come to its end. Your private guide and driver will transfer you to the airport for your onward flight. Upon arrival in Bangkok, your private guide and driver will greet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel.
Day 9 Explore Bangkok’s Highlights and Have a Long-Tail Boat Ride
Your day will start by listening to the monks chanting at Wat Pho, which is one of the oldest temples in Bangkok. Take a tuk tuk ride via Pak Khlong Talat flower market to the Grand Palace. Continue with a long-tail boat ride along the ancient canals of Thonburi to get a flavor of the local life. Stop at the iconic Wat Arun, which was once the grand royal temple of King Rama II.
After lunch at a local restaurant, you will cross the Chao Phraya River and be driven to Chinatown for a glance at Old Bangkok.
Day 10 Discover Bangkok’s Railway Market and Floating Market
After breakfast, you will be driven for about an hour southwest of Bangkok to visit Maeklong Railway Market, which is a traditional Thai market selling food, such as fresh fruit and vegetables. What makes it special is that the market is located on a train line where, a few times a day, the train runs directly through the market.
Continue your trip to visit Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. It is the most popular floating market in Thailand and is great for photo opportunities, food, and giving you an insight into a bygone way of life.
Day 11 Bangkok to Phuket, Enjoy Your Free Time by the Beautiful Beach
After a leisurely breakfast, take a private transfer to the airport and fly to Phuket. Upon arrival at Phuket International Airport, take a private transfer to your beautiful hotel.
Day 12 and 13 Free Time by the Beach
You will have two free days to spend at your leisure by the beach. You may consider taking a speedboat trip to the many nearby tropical paradises, including the famous Phi Phi Islands, or enjoy a serene cruise around the mystical Phang Nga Bay. All of these tours can be easily booked at your hotel.
Day 14 Phuket to Bangkok for Your Departure
After breakfast, transfer to Phuket International Airport, take a morning flight back to Bangkok, and connect with your international departure flight.
Asia Highlights handpicked hotels
We have selected hotels with different styles and for different budgets. Let us know your preferences and we will help you find the right one.
- 4.5/5 points by over 600 travelers on TripAdvisor.
- 10 minutes to walk to the Old Quarter, great service and breakfast.
- Deluxe City View Room, 35sqm, extra bed available and city view.
- About the Floating Markets in Thailand and Vietnam Both Thailand and Vietnam have floating markets. Usually, the floating market tours are arranged in the morning in both countries. We have arranged a visit to the floating market in Thailand because it is much easier to get to a representative floating market near Bangkok. One overnight stay in the Mekong Delta is needed if you would like to visit the floating market in Vietnam as it is a long way from Ho Chi Minh City.
- Customize the Tour According to Your Needs This tour is very flexible. You can alter the itinerary, extending or shortening it to suit your price, interests, and schedule. For example, you can extend it with a few extra days in Thailand to explore Chiang Mai or, if your time is limited, shorten the tour by one day in Phuket.
From 3,037 p/p
based on 2 persons and 4 star hotel
Our Service Includes
- One-to-one consultancy with our travel expert
- English speaking local guides and comfortable vehicle
- Activities,hotels and meals listed in the itinerary
- The booking of internal and international flights listed in the itinerary
- A 24/7 helpline while you are traveling