Planning to travel to Thailand during the COVID-19 pandemic? Here is what you need to know, including Thailand entry and travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, and travel tips.
Is Thailand Open for Tourism? - The Latest Updates [Nov. 1]
From 1 November, 2021, Thailand is welcoming fully vaccinated visitors from around the world via two specially-designed entry schemes: TEST & GO Exemption from Quarantine and Living in The “Blue Zone” (17 Sandbox Destinations). Partially or unvaccinated visitors are also much welcomed via the Happy Quarantine requirements. Thailand eases more COVID-19 curbs, particularly in the 4 ‘Blue Zone’ provinces – Bangkok, Krabi, Phang-Nga, and Phuket.
Optimistically, starting January 1st, 2022, any foreign tourist who has been vaccinated against COVID-19 and holds a vaccine passport, may be allowed to enter Thailand without having to enter quarantine at all. But this could be delayed by any further waves of infection.
Who Can Travel to Thailand?
Thailand is now open to travelers from any countries and territories from around the world, under various entry arrangements. However, The Exemption from Quarantine (TEST & GO) scheme is only for travelers from eligible countries/territories in the initial phase during the month of November 2021. See the country list below: (source from https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go/)
Thailand Entry and Quarantine Requirements
There are currently three entry options for travellers from overseas:
- Exemption from Quarantine (TEST & GO)
- Living in the "Blue Zone" (17 Sandbox Destinations)
- Alternative Quarantine (AQ)
See the detailed requirements as below (source from https://www.tatnews.org/thailand-reopening/)
Requirements may change at short notice. You can keep up to date with the latest information on the official website of the Tourism Authority of Thailand: https://www.tatnews.org/thailand-reopening/.
Do I Need a Visa to Enter Thailand?
For travelers from countries not on the visa exemption list, there are currently two types of visa, for which travellers may apply online at www.thaievisa.go.th.
- Tourist visa (single entry): for stay up to 60 days with possible one-time extension of 30 days.
- Special Tourist Visa (STV): for stay up to 90 days with possible extension of 90 days twice.
Kindly note that a valid visa or re-entry permit is required for the COE application, except passport holders of countries/territories entitled to a 30-day visa exemption.
From 1 October, 2021, foreign travellers can apply for a Visa on Arrival (VOA), but they are still required to apply for a COE before flying to Thailand. However, the VOA will be granted for only 15 days without possible extension. Also, currently, only passport holders of Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, and Vanuatu may apply for the VOA.
Requirements for a tourist visa is subject to change in line with the constantly changing COVID-19 travel restrictions by the Royal Thai Government.
What's the COVID Situation in Thailand Now? (Nov.1st, 2021)
more COVID-19 curbs in most parts of the kingdom have been eased from 1 November 2021, to facilitate the wider country reopening to vaccinated visitors from around the world.
Nearly all businesses and activities in the 4 Blue Zone provinces (Bangkok, Krabi, Phang-Nga, and Phuket) resume “New Normal” operations. These include all shopping venues, convenience stores, markets, cinemas and theatres, sports venues, hair salons and barbershops, massage and spa shops, beauty and aesthetic clinics, and tattoo shops.
Similar relaxed measures for the Blue Zone provinces have also been extended to the 5 yellow zone provinces. Provinces in the red and orange zones have also seen the COVID-19 restrictions being relaxed further, with malls, markets, convenience stores, and cinemas being allowed to resume normal hours.
A Professional Travel Agency Can Help a Lot
With the frequent changing of regulations as different regions react to the pandemic situation, having a professional local tour company, like us, in charge of your itinerary and transportation can be a safeguard for your trip. We will:
1. Ensure a smooth trip: Many travel agencies are closed due to COVID-19 hardships, which makes travel itself more difficult without updated travel information. Traveling with us will enable you to plan your trip with the best info and expert suggestions/arrangements.
2. Get tickets booked for you in advance according to the various new CoV-prevention requirements at each tourist attraction.
3. Provide safe transportation: We will provide a private car that is sterilized every day.
Please feel free to contact us if you need any assistance.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights
- Tailor-made experience: All of your ideas/needs will be carefully considered to create your ideal trip.
- Worry-free planning: Every step of your trip, you will be looked after by your 1:1 travel consultant based in Asia.
- No-risk booking: We refund as much as we can and adapt flexibly to unexpected changes.
More Travel Ideas and Inspiration
Get Inspired with Our Sample Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.