Where is Southeast Asia (SEA)? You might as well ask: What is Southeast Asia? It is a concept as well as a subregion of Asia.
You might have heard Southeast Asia, but not sure about the location or exactly which countries are considered "Southeast Asian".
Where is Southeast Asia Located on the World Map?
Southeast Asia is scattered in the southeastern corner of the Asian continent, bordered to the north by China/Taiwan (East Asia), to the south and east by Australasia/Oceania, and to the west by the Indian subcontinent — India/Bangladesh (South Asia).
See the location of Southeast Asia on a map.
WOW! I’ve traveled Asia some & I must say Sharon & Asia Highlights made this trip so much more enjoyable and easyMore
Stephen Hollis, Aug 2023
Alisa has has been great to work with
Alisa with Asia Highlights has has been great to work with. Very friendly and responsive.More
Ana Rausch, Aug 2023
Using Sharon right now to book our…
Using Sharon right now to book our upcoming trip to Thailand. She has booked everything that we asked for. Has answered all of my inquiries, which has been many! Looking forward to having a great girls trip in ThailandMore
Tracy, Aug 2023
Thailand, Singapore, Bali
In Thailand, Tanny and Nori(Suparp), were both incredible! They were both fun, funny, and full of knowledge and made sure we got the full experience. They went the extra mile and always made sure we had cold bottled water and towels to cleanse our hands. In Singapore, Nicole was an absolute gem. She was so kind and knowledgeable and guided us in the right direction to make our day as enjoyable as possible. She helped us choose a top notch local lunch and coffee spot in China Town and taught us so much about the country! In Bali, Emon was an absolute joy. He was very knowledgeable and kind and absolutely made sure we were feeling comfortable and was willing to be flexible with us. He was fun to converse with and made our time traveling between destinations so enjoyable! I cannot recommend Asia Highlights enough! Accommodations, travel arrangements and guided tours were all a breeze.More
Cassi Thunker, Jul 2023
Very supportive ! I have received eticket for Sky Lattern Festival very fastMore
Chi?n Nguy?n Ng?c, Jul 2023
My experience in Chang Mai with Asia Highlights
I greatly enjoyed my experience with Asia Highlights for a trip I booked to Thailand.All of my interests were catered too. My guide in Chang Mai Gemma was excellent.I truly felt the soul of Thailand culture and Buddhism.More
Richard, Jul 2023
A pleasure to plan with
Well, this has been a painless and pleasurable process to find such a wonderful company. I had specific dates and places to be and Sharon worked with me diligently to refine the schedule and costs to suit my travel needs and budget. She informed me of a special tour on the dates I am to be in Thailand and I added that to my previous plans.More
Chris Williams, Jul 2023
Large multi-generational holiday in Thailand
The holiday was wonderful. Our guides, Mr Monchai (Bangkok), and Ms Tipagorn (Tippy) (Chiang Mai) were exceptional. Travelling in a large multigenerational group with many children requires patience and our guides truly understood that. Mr Monchai and Ms Tippy shared their extensive knowledge of the many wonderful places we visited, and were flexible to take us to additional places along the way based on discussions. While everyday was busy, having them greet us with patience and a smile truly made this a memorable holiday. The hotels we stayed at were equally wonderful and went above and beyond to celebrate not only my parents 50th anniversary but also celebrate 2 milestone birthdays that occurred. We will cherish this holiday for many years to come. We hope to use Asia Highlights again.More
CL, Jul 2023
I never used a travel agent in my life
I never used a travel agent in my life, but Sharon for Asia Highlights did a phenomenal job helping planning and coordination a family vacation. The best part of working with Sharon was that she maintained an open line of communication and provided answers to my question well within 12-24 hours. Additionally, Sharon was flexible and customized our vacation to my families needs. Overall great experience.More
Antione Barry, Jul 2023
Great company to plan a trip to Southeast Asia!
Sharon Haung has been wonderful to work with! Very patient and accommodating. Responds immediately given time change and is prepared, prompt, and professional.More
Debi Hinerfeld, Jul 2023
We took a 15 days trip (10 days Vietnam and 5 days Thailand …
It was an amazing experience the guides and drivers were there awaiting for us at each airoport for a transfer to the hotels also on time for all the tours all the guides were so lovely , very experienced and spoke very good English , one of the days on tour in Thailand I lost my phone in a temple in Bangkok mr chai went out of his way in a middle of thousands of visitors and managed to find an bring it back to me I found that amazing , also while on a trip I contacted Jason li out tour organizer few time via whatup and he replied and helped on the spot I recommend asiahilights 150% The quality of the service hotels the guides the drivers outstanding From start to finish ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ????More
SIMO el ghobar, Jun 2023
Wonderful Guides and Experience
Our large group arrived in Bangkok with Tanni as our guide. She was wonderful! An absolute joy to spend time with. She is knowledgeable, kind, and extremely funny. I don’t know what we would have done without her! After Bangkok, we traveled to Chang Mai, where Indy was our tour guide. She was a delight! She is kind, knowledgeable, and so patient. Our trip to Thailand was an adventure of a lifetime and these two women helped make it memorable. I would definitely use Asia Highlights for any future travel in Asia.More
Jessica Bennett, Jun 2023
Guide - Chai
We travelled from Vietnam to Bangkok and were blessed to have a guide named Chai. He was a superb guide and it is a pity we couldn't bottle him and take him home. He was very knowledgeable and an absolute gentleman. He could not have done enough to facilitate us and imparted so much knowledge about the Temples, Buddism and the History of Thailand in general. Not only did he give us a great overview of the past and current ways of living in Thailand but I also feel I came away a much better person having interacting with him. I will carry many of his teachings with me for the rest of my life and know that having met him was a very special blessing in my life.More
Customer, Jun 2023
Our guide Tanni was kind
Our guide Tanni was kind, knowledgeable, funny and beyond accommodating for our group. We felt like we'd made a friend and it enhanced our trip in the most positive way. Everything was coordinated perfectly which is not easy to do in a large traveling group. Excellent experience!More
Marissa Manson, Jun 2023
We are only on day 5 of our 15 day trip…
Our first stop so far was in Hanoi where our guide Trong was just so awesome! He shared about his culture and family life which showing us sites through a city tour. He was so funny making lots of jokes and always made sure we were having fun while learning about everything! He checked on us frequently even when we were no longer with him since we then went on a cruise in Halong Bay! Halong Bay and the cruise on Paradise Elegance went way above anything I expected. The scenery was breathtaking, the ship was so beautiful and clean with such fresh, good food! And I can’t sing enough praise for the staff who took care of us- especially Anna and Belle! They went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed every aspect from eating meals with Anna to every other detail with Belle! I highly recommend Asian Highlights to help plan these extraordinary trips! This already has been a trip of a lifetime and we still have so much more to see all thanks to Cathy!!More
Diane Creitz, Jun 2023
Tanni for the win!
14 of my closest friends and family descended upon Bangkok ready to see the town. Asia highlights and Tanni took us on a tour that changed our lives. We experienced so much everyday. Tanni was amazing! She did all the thinking for us, so we all could just be present and enjoy the moment. I can’t recommend this company, and especially Tanni enough.More
Megan McGlynn, Jun 2023
This isn't my first trip with Asia…
This isn't my first trip with Asia Highlights. They are great at helping me plan, working my requests into the itinerary, and booking it all. We travel with friends and just got back from a trip to Thailand and Vietnam. Albee did a great job with all the details and we had a wonderful time. We will use them for our next adventure!More
Katie Potesta, Jun 2023
Although we have not been our trip yet I wanted to still write a review based on customer service and the ease of booking. Alisa has been extremely prompt and responsive with planning our trip to Thailand. She has had great recommendations and guidance to add to our custom itinerary. Highly recommend using Asia highlights! -AlexMore
Alex, May 2023
I have never hear of this company…
I have never hear of this company before , and after reading all these reviews ,I decided to give it a try . The professionalism and communicative skill received by one of the agent , Sharon of Asia Highlights , convince me that She was the right travel agent for my trip in Asia . Very quickly she communicated with me and got all the detail of my desire vacation . Sharon made me a great itinerary with great experiences that I am dreaming to experience and I am looking forward to it . Thanks Sharon for been so great and crafting me a dream vacation with great suggestions.More
orge alvarez, May 2023
Coco Yang worked tirelessly to…
From the moment I landed in Bangkok, Ms Noi Ying was there to welcome me and get me settled into my hotel. We enjoyed several days together touring Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. In Chiang Mai, Mr Ekachai took my son snd I on an amazing trip to the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary and to visit a community Lanna home, gardens and a hands-on cooking class preparing an authentic Thai meal. Lisa arranged a last-minute speedboat tour of 5 breathtaking islands in Phuket. From start to finish, the guides exceeded my expectations!! Thank you, Asia Highlight!! Debbie WoodsMore
Debbie Woods, May 2023
What Countries Are in Southeast Asia?
There are 11 countries in Southeast Asia: Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar (Burma), Singapore, the Philippines, East Timor (Timor Leste), and Brunei.
Southeast Asia is geographically divided into two subregions, namely Mainland Southeast Asia and Maritime Southeast Asia.
- Mainland Southeast Asia: Myanmar, Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
- Maritime Southeast Asia: Indonesia, East Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, the Philippines, East Timor.
The full Southeast Asia countries list is shown in the table below:
|Country||Capital||Popular Travel Destinations||Famous for|
|Thailand||Bangkok||Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phuket||Islands and beaches; world-famous food; elephants|
|Vietnam||Hanoi||Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay, Hoi An, Hue, Da Nang||Beaches, mountains, rice terraces, local markets|
|Cambodia||Phnom Penh||Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Battambang||The ancient ruins of Angkor Wat|
|Laos||Vientiane||Vientiane, Luang Prabang||Gorgeous mountain views; temples|
|Myanmar||Nay Pyi Taw||Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan, Nay Pyi Taw||Thousands of temples|
|Singapore||Singapore||Singapore||Nightlife, Shopping, food, and high-tech adventures|
|Malaysia||Kuala Lumpur||Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Langkawi, Sabah||Islands and beaches, multicultural city life, ancient rainforests|
|Indonesia||Jakarta||Jakarta, Bandung, Yogyakarta, Bali||Islands, volcanoes, scuba diving|
|The Philippines||Manila||Manila, Boracay, Puerto Galera||Beautiful islands, snorkeling, volcanoes|
|Brunei||Bandar Seri Begawan||Bandar Seri Begawan, Ulu Temburong||Historical heritages|
|East Timor||Dili||Not yet considered a tourist destination|
9 Interesting Facts about Southeast Asia
- Laos is the only landlocked country in Southeast Asia. Many countries in this region have beautiful islands and beaches.
- Singapore is a city, country, and island all at the same time.
- The richest country in Southeast Asia is Singapore (by GDP per capita). It is also the most expensive destination to visit among 11 Southeast Asian countries.
- The poorest country in Southeast Asia is Myanmar. It is one of the cheapest countries in all South East Asia to visit.
- The oldest country in Southeast Asia is Cambodia. And the newest/youngest country is East Timor.
- The largest country in Southeast Asia is Indonesia, which is composed of about 17,508 islands. And the smallest country is Singapore. Its area is roughly 719 square km (276 square miles).
- The most populous country in Southeast Asia is Indonesia with over 270 million people. SE Asia has 666 million people, 8.5% of the world's population.
- Malaysia lies both on the mainland and in the islands of the region.
- Indonesia is the world"s most populous Muslim country.
Travelling to Southeast Asia: 10 Things to Know
- Southeast Asia is famous for its gorgeous beaches, warm climate, diverse culture, tasty food, and amazing heritage sites.
- Southeast Asia has long been a popular destination for backpackers. Travelling with a local expert like us will enable you to discover more authentic experiences.
- Southeast Asia is full of beaches and luxury resorts. It is home to some of the most exotic honeymoon destinations.
- All of the countries in Southeast Asia are in the tropics except for Myanmar, which just extends over the Tropic of Cancer. Most of its countries have two seasons, wet and dry. Their temperatures hover around the 30°C (86°F) mark throughout the year.
- There are many languages in Southeast Asia. English is the most useful language.
- Visa requirements differ for every country in Southeast Asia, depending on where you"re from and where you're going. Generally, it is not a problem to get a visa. Some countries are visa-free, some offer visas on arrival.
- It is easy to spend 3-6 months travelling around Southeast Asia. Thailand, with well-oiled tourism infrastructure, has become the most visited country in Southeast Asia.
- The main international gateways to Southeast Asia are Bangkok (Thailand) and Singapore.
- Vietnam, Laos, and Myanmar share land borders with China. It is convenient to extend a tour to Southeast Asia after your China trip.
- There are many popular ports of call in Southeast Asia, providing a wide range of options for ocean cruise shore excursions.
Tour Southeast Asia Your Way with Us
When traveling with Asia Highlights, we can arrange all the transportation for you. Our travel advisors will help you make decision between these two countries and also suggest the best possible route for you. Check out some related tours and articles for inspiration.
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 17-Day Private tour to Myanmar, Vietnam and Laos
- 8-Day from South Vietnam to North Cambodia
- 14-Day Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Mini-Group Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam and Cambodia Family Tour—Quality Time Journey
- Private, Tailor-Made Tours of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam 2023
- 15-Day Best of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Tour
- 12-Day Laos to Vietnam Tour
- 14-Day Myanmar and Thailand Essence Tour
- Southeast Asia Ports and Shore Excursions
- 12-Day Cambodia and Vietnam Highlights
- 16-Day Private Vietnam and Bali Journey of Relaxation
- How to Plan a 2-Week Vietnam and Cambodia Itinerary (2023/2024)
- 5-Week Southeast Asia Itinerary: 3 Options (2023/2024)
- How to Plan a Thailand and Vietnam Trip (2023/2024)
- How to Plan a Trip to Cambodia and Vietnam: Entry Requirements, Itinerary...
- How to Plan a 3-Week Southeast Asia Itinerary
- Planning a Family Holiday to Southeast Asia? 20 Expert Tips for Christmas 2023
- The Ultimate 4-Week Southeast Asia Itinerary for You! (Expert Advice)
- How to Plan a 3-Week Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam Couple’s/Family Tour
- Travel to Southeast Asia in Summer 2023: Places to Go, Costs, Weather
- How to Plan a 10-Day Southeast Asia Itinerary (2023/2024)
- 2-Week Itineraries in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (2023/2024)
- How to Plan a Trip to Thailand and Cambodia (2023/2024)
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2023/2024 for Great Weather, Low Prices
- Best Times to Visit Nepal —Guide to Nepal Weather and Travel Experience
- Best (and Worst) Times to Visit India 2023/2024 & the Monsoon?
- Best & Worst Times to Visit Vietnam and Cambodia 2023/2024, Best Month
- Best (and Worst) Times to Visit Bali 2023/2024 & When is the Rainy Season
- Best Times to Visit Thailand (Insider Tips for Families and Couples)
- Best & Worst Times to Visit Japan 2023/2024, Best Month
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.