It is now feasible to apply for a Myanmar visa while traveling in another country in Southeast Asia. So it has become possible to extend your trip to Myanmar without first having had a visa issued in your own country.
You can get a Myanmar tourist visa valid for three months and for a single-entry 28-day stay, from the embassies in major cities such as Bangkok, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur. It takes between 1 and 4 working days to issue a visa, depending on the fees paid.
- Basically, you need a passport with at least 6 months' validity and enough blank pages, a photocopy of your passport, 2 passport photos, a completed application form, and copies of travel documents
- Apply in the morning and pick your visa up in the afternoon, at Myanmar's embassy in the city
- Visa fees are payable in cash only
- Please check the embassy holidays carefully
- Do not lose your receipt, important for picking up your passport
- Double-check your visa information before leaving the embassy
- Obtain a visa on your passport, different from an E-visa
Applying for a Myanmar visa from cities in southeast asia
Many tourists would prefer this way of obtaining a visa to Myanmar, especially those who do not have a Myanmar embassy in their home towns. It requires pretty much the same time and trouble as obtaining an E-visa online, which needs to be stamped onto your passport at a specified place of entry.
Please have your hotels and return flights in Myanmar booked, to be provided as supplementary application materials. Double-check the process time and embassy holidays to make sure you get your visa on time.
Getting a Myanmar visa from Bangkok
Bangkok is the most popular city from which foreigners apply for a Myanmar visa, with a simple and quick process. You should try to get to the embassy early, maybe around 7 am, to be near the front of the queue. You can get your application form from the copy shop 100 m down the street, to get everything ready and save time.
- Bring your passport, a photocopy of your passport, 2 passport photos and the address where you will be staying in Myanmar
- Fill in the application form, which can be found at the front counter
- Prepare one photo glued to the application form and another loose
- Have all the paperwork ready and obtain a queue number from one of the windows
- Sit and wait for your number to be called (normally around 2 hours)
- Turn in all your documents and you may be questioned about travel arrangements
- Pay the visa fee (cash only) in exchange for a receipt and be informed when to pick up the visa (usually in the afternoon from 15:30 to 16:30 hrs)
- Pick up your visa using your receipt and double-check it before leaving the window
Address: 132, Sathorn Nua Road, BANGKOK 10500
Opening Hours: 09:00–12:00 and 13:00–16:30 hrs from Monday to Friday
Processing Days and Cost: 3-day pick up – 800 Baht
next-day pick up – 1000 Baht
express one-day service – 1260 Baht
Getting a Myanmar visa from Chiang Mai
The embassy re-opened just 3 years ago and is not as crowded as in Bangkok. The process is easy. It normally takes around 15 minutes to pay for your visa. But it takes around 3-4 days to get your passport back with the regular service.
- Fill in the application forms after arriving the embassy at the opening time
- Bring your passport, a photocopy of your passport, 2 passport photos and the address of where you will be staying in Myanmar
- One photo glued to the application form and another loose
- Get in line to submit all your documents (the waiting time depends on how many people are ahead of you)
- Pay the visa fees (cash only) in exchange for a receipt and find out when to pick up the visa (probably in the afternoon from 15:30 to 16:30 hrs)
- Use your receipt to pick up your passport and double-check it before leaving the window
Address: 9/4 Manee Nopparat Soi 3, Amphoe Mueang, CHIANG MAI 50200
Opening Hours: 09:00–12:00 and 13:00–16:30 hrs from Monday to Friday
Processing Days and Cost: 3-4 days standard service – 1600 Baht one-day express service – 2400 Baht
Getting a Myanmar visa from Singapore
It is more complicated to get a Myanmar visa from Singapore than from other places. You have to make an appointment online before visiting the embassy, which is not in a convenient location. It is much easier and cheaper to have a travel agent do it for you.
- Book the appointment online: http://www.mesingapore.org.sg/visa.html to select a date for going to the embassy
- Complete all your details online and upload a digital photo to the system
- The embassy will email you some documents which need to be printed out and filled in by hand
- Bring everything you need (application form, name card/business card, a photocopy of passport with photo shown, a photocopy of IC/PR/EP/Student Pass both sides, 2 recent photos, valid passport) to the embassy on the appointed date between 8 am and midday
- Hand over all the documents to the staff, who only need 10 minutes more to view it
- Pay the visa fee and obtain your collection slip
- Collect your passport with visa on the afternoon of the same day
Address: 15, St Martin's Drive, SINGAPORE 257996
Opening Hours: Mon–Fri, 9:00–13:00 and 14:00–17:00
Processing Days and Cost: one-day collection – 35 USD + 10 USD administration fee
Getting a Myanmar visa from Kuala Lumpur
You do not need to go to the embassy anymore to get your Myanmar visa. Three years ago, they outsourced the visa processing to a company named Ever Fine Travel & Tours. You can apply for your visa in the morning and have it on the afternoon of the same day.
- Pick up an application form at the service counter at 09:30 am
- Hand in all your documents (completed application form, 2 passport-sized photos, photocopy of passport, passport, address in Myanmar, return flight confirmation) to staff for checking
- Obtain a queue number and wait in the waiting area
- Submit your passport and all your paperwork to the counter when your turn comes
- Pay the visa fee in cash, to obtain a receipt
- Return in the afternoon between 16:30–17:30 hrs to collect the visa using your receipt
Address: No 19–21, M–Floor, Jalan Tun Perak, 5000 Kuala Lumpur
Opening Hours: Mon–Fri 9:30–12:30 and 13:30–17:00 hrs
Processing Days and Cost: one-day collection – 223RM
Getting a Myanmar visa from Hanoi
There is less information showing online than some years ago.
- Please contact the embassy to double-check you have all the documents needed; basically a valid passport, 2 passport-sized photos, an application form, photocopy of passport, passport, the confirmation of your hotels and flights in Myanmar
- Have your passport and all paper work prepared to hand to the staff
- Pay the visa fee (Vietnamese Dong are not accepted)
- Pick up your passport on the agreed date
Address: No. 298A, Kim Ma Street, Ba Dinh District, HANOI
Please contact the embassy to verify the address, opening hours and necessary documents: (+84) (4) 3845 3369 / (+84) (4) 3823 2056.
Opening Hours: Mon–Fri, 9:00–13:00 and 14:00–17:00 hrs
Processing Days and Cost: normal process (6-10 days) – 20 USD express process (2-3 days) – 40 USD
|Bangkok||Chiang Mai||Singapore||Kuala Lumpur||Hanoi|
|Address||132, Sathorn Nua Road, BANGKOK 10500||9/4 Manee Nopparat Soi 3, Amphoe Mueang, CHIANG MAI 50200||15, St Martin's Drive, SINGAPORE 257996||No 19–21, M-Floor, Jalan Tun Perak, 5000 KUALA LUMPUR||No. 298A, Kim Ma Street, Ba Dinh District, HANOI|
|Opening Hours||9:00–12:00 and 13:00–16:30 hrs from Monday to Friday||9.00–12.00 and 13.00–16.30 hrs from Monday to Friday||Mon–Fri, 9.00–13 and 14:00–17:00 hrs||Mon–Fri 9:30–12:30 and 13:30–17:00 hrs||Mon–Fri, 9:00–13:00 hrs and 14:00– 17:00 hrs|
|Processing Days and Cost||3 days pick up - 800 Baht next-day pick up - 1000 Baht express one-day service - 1260 Baht||2-3 days standard service – 1600 Baht one-day express service – 2400 Baht||one-day collection – 35 USD + 10 USD administration fee||one-day collection – 223RM||normal process (6-10 days) – 20 USD express process (2-3 days) – 40 USD|
|Visa Collection Time||in the afternoon from 15:30 to 16:30 hrs||in the afternoon from 15:30 to 16:30 hrs||in the afternoon||in the afternoon from 16:30 to 17:30 hrs||to be advised|
The Asia Highlights experience
Our travel consultants are experts and familiar with the process of Myanmar visa processing in other countries. If you have bookings with us, we will help you with your visa application.
Visit Myanmar with Asia Highlights
We provide tailor-made tours to Myanmar. Tours typically start or end in Yangon or Mandalay and last approximately 9 days; visiting Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake.
You might like:
You might like to read
Why Travel with Asia Highlights During the Pandemic
- Tailor-made experience: All of your ideas/needs will be carefully considered to create your ideal trip.
- Worry-free planning: Your 1:1 travel consultant in Asia will take all the uncertainty out of your planning, helping you navigate any travel restrictions.
- No-risk booking: 100% refund policy! (up to 14 days before departure)
More Travel Ideas and Inspiration
Get Inspired with Our Sample Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.