Discover world-famous landmarks such as the Great Wall of China and historical cities such as Xi’an and Kyoto, and witness the vibrant cultures of East Asia, as you experience the best of Japan and China on a 16-day leisurely tour (easily adapted to be a 2-week or 3-week tour).
It covers iconic cities like Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Nara, Beijing, Xi’an, and Shanghai. With our carefully-designed itinerary and expert guides, this adventure tour is sure to create unforgettable memories and a comprehensive view of the Far East.
Come with us and have the journey of a lifetime!
This is an ideal tour for first-time visitors and families to both Japan and China. Sign up for your favorite part of the tour or simply treat the whole tour as inspiration, designing each element specially for you.
Enter into the history of China and Japan by visiting UNESCO sites and discovering their hidden corners.
Taste the exotic savory flavors of East Asia.
Make your own terracotta warriors after finding out the secrets of the Terracotta Army.
Delight in the captivating panorama of Tokyo city from the heights of the renowned Sky Tree Tower.
Experience the breathtaking scenery of Hakone from multiple perspectives.
Listen to the Echoes of History while Cycling or Walking on the ancient Xi'an City Wall.
Take a leisurely stroll through Nara Park and interact with over 1,200 tame deer.
Indulge in ultimate relaxation and serenity at a traditional Japanese ryokan (inn) with an onsen (hot spring bath) in Hakone.
Hear untold tales of the Bund and ascend Shanghai Tower for panoramic views.
Have your own guide and private vehicle during the guided day.
98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+
Wonderful 10 day trip in Japan!!!
Well planned trip by Alisa . Everything was well scheduled, guides and drivers were excellent!! The cars were extremely comfortable and the hotel she chose for us was beautiful!! Enjoyed planning with her she was very professional and always offered other choices.More
Lianne Stone, May 2023
11 days trip to Japan
I am planning my trip to Japan in November with Sharon's help and she has provided amazing customer service.She is very responsive and put together very quickly an incredible plan for 11 days in Japan. She provided recommendations and made changes based on our interests and budget. She also provided information about visa restrictions and the best way to get tickets for transportation services. Thanks so much Sharon, looking forward to this trip!More
LE, May 2023
Hi Cathy! I just want to thank you for making our Japan trip so much fun & memorable! We loved everything that you had scheduled for us! All the guides and drivers were great & punctual! We love Japan so much that we’re planning to go back next year to different part of Japan! We’ll definitely contact Asia Highlights for our trip again! SereneMore
Serene Storslett, May 2023
Quick, easy and detailed service
Alisa was our advisor from Asia highlights and she prepared for us a wonderful 28 day trip to Japan, taking into consideration our needs and desire not to be traveling everyday and to have a mixture of slow and busy days. We've not yet taken our trip, but very much looking forward to it Thank you Alisa for the quick response and wonderful itineraryMore
Lynette Whittle, Apr 2023
Sharon Huang did an excellent job in planningour 15 day Cherry Blossom Japan tour. Shewas available during our trip to answer our questions and readily agreed to the itinerary changes.Everything was arranged - accommodation,breakfast, guide, car, entrance fees and train tickets. The guides were knowledgeable, and managed the tour very efficiently. The drivers were punctual and very patient. We visited must see places in and near Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. We also got to experience Japanese Tea ceremony, Sushi making, Sake tasting, shopping etc.We highly recommend Asia Highlights for your travel needs.More
Madhu, Apr 2023
I organized a trip to Japan for my
I organized a trip to Japan for my parents who don’t speak English and Alisa was so amazing helping make an itinerary for them. They needed a Spanish guide and she coordinated everything so they wouldn’t have any trouble when they got there. She was so patient changing and adjusting the itinerary to their needs and wants, it’s been a total pleasure working with her and she always responds promptly to any question I have. I definitely recommend this company and if you can ask to work with Alisa.More
Luisa, Apr 2023
Trip to Japan. I have had the pleasure to book with…
For the reasons above, I decided to book again with Asia highlights for our trip to Japan this year in September. Until now it’s been a pleasure dealing with Albee Ning. She was so efficient and pleasant in adjusting our itinerary. Whenever I had any questions I could count on her to answer promptly. I am very lucky to have her as our organiser for our future trip to Japan. I have had the pleasure to book with Asia Highlights when we went to China in 2018. We were extremely satisfied with the exceptional services rendered by our organiser, Robert Hui and private guide William.More
Mrs Cristina Hidalgo Loris, Apr 2023
Albee Ning and Asia Highlights - wonderful to work with.
I and my daughter planned a trip to China and Japan. We worked with Albee Ning who was fantastic in developing a itinerary based on our desires and needs. She was extremely responsive, taking into account all of our requests and worked closely with us, it wasn't just selecting from one of several pre-developed itineraries. We decided to postpone the trip until next year and received the guaranteed refund, minus a small deposit on next years trip. We look forward to working with her again on next years trip and trips in the future. We highly recommend Asia Highlights and Albee NingMore
Nancy K, Apr 2023
Handcrafted tour of Japan by Asia Highlights
My initial inquiry to this company (based in China) was answered in under 10 hours by an amazing travel consultant, named Alisa. She is such a professional in the ways she conducts herself and serves her clients. Alisa is a great communicator and listener. She is very open to requests for additional experiences which require research on her part to arrange. Alisa also provides very detailed information about each experience, location, guides, private car transfers, trains, hotels. This approach is very appealing since detailed communication is so useful and important to me. Alisa also makes the process simple and easy to follow. Answered tons of questions and created the perfect tour for us. We are looking forward to this once in a lifetime visit to Japan and are so grateful we have had the chance to work with Alisa at Asia Highlights!More
Laurie Lee, Feb 2023
Great Overall Experience
Our guide in Tokyo, Fuki, was outstanding. We saw things we would never have otherwise seen, if Fuki had not been there.More
Todd Hankinson, Dec 2022
Plenty of options and personalized tours as needed
Monica Mo was very helpful from the beginning after I enquired about my travel plans to Japan. She listened with understanding and took careful notes and clarified things to make sure she got everything.More
Ginybel Belgira, Sep 2022
Asia Highlights especially Ms. Kanae Chida superb
Asia Highlights and particularly our Tokyo guide, Ms. Kanae Chida, were the best. When Kanae met us, she asked for details of what we wished to see and she constructed an outstanding combination of visits for the day.More
Geoff Rayner-Canham, May 2019
I have arranged a 27 day tour of China, Japan and Hong Kong China
Peggie's English is impeccable and she uses lots of nuances which usually only a native English speaker would know. I have found her very prompt in responding to emails and her knowledge is terrific.More
Ailsa West, Jul 2018
Very professional, great customer service
We travelled to Japan this May (2018). We had contacted Asia Highlights to organise our trip for us. Miss Peggie Lyoo was very helpful, super-friendly, very professional and very prompt with all her replies!More
Tibor Marton, May 2018
Great job!! We had an amazing vacation to Japan. We will use Asian highlights for all of our trips to AsiaMore
Joe, May 2018
In addition, I want to specifically mention the guides provided in certain locations. Rum, in Siem Reap, made the most memorable experience possible. His positivity was contagious - even when it felt like 1000 degrees and we were tired. He brought it all to life, and created a couple days of Ankor Wat, etc. that we will never forget! He heard my daughter's request for specific Cambodian food, and changed our itinerary to go to a village and eat at a locally known shop. He brought the dessert she asked about to us in the car! Overall, he and his driver "Lucky" were a reason to go to Siem Reap. In addition, the other guides (minus one which was switched out immediately) were stupendous. Mon in Bangkok was friendly and provided a great day there; Eak in Chiang Mai gave us a world-class food-tour and day touring the city and its surrounding temples with lots of laughs; Tommy in Hanoi kept us from getting killed in the traffic and gave a stupendous food and architecture/history tour - so very friendly and funny; the fishing village tour in Hoi An, as well as the side-car tour in Saigon, were both unforgettable! Thank you Sharon, and Asia Highlights. Would definitely use again for future trips!More
Teri Simpson, Apr 2023
Cambodia and Vietnam adventure!
Our guide in Cambodia, Meas Darapolaith (Pol), was absolutely amazing. He was knowledgeable, friendly and so helpful. His English was excellent and he shared important insights about history and the magnificent sites we visited. We highly recommend him!More
Jennifer Roth Krieger, Apr 2023
My daughter and I wanted to discover SE…
My daughter and I wanted to discover SE Asia. Being the first in that region, we wanted to use a tour service company. We ended up using Asia Highlights. From the beginning we were impressed with their services. We left home with of mind because all the pre-travel arrangements were taking care and communicate to us efficiently. All our questions were answered promptly. Once in the countries, we were welcome by our excellent tour guides. Everything was taking care for us. We did not have one issue. They selected the right tours guides for us, they were highly knowledgeable and so much attentive to our needs. We had Dhat in Vietnam and Borin in Siem Reap, Cambodia. I highly recommend Asia Highlights. I came back home so much rested, and with plenty of wonderful pictures and memories. I will definitely use Asia Highlights again for my next trip to Asia.More
Isabelle Dessaux, Apr 2023
Fabulous tour and guide in Cambodia
We have been touring Cambodia, guided by Borin ( and driver 007) for the last 2 days. What a fabulous experience! Borin has been a wonderful guide, the best so far in Southeast Asia, explaining the history and culture of Cambodia through his tours of the temples in and around Angkor, as well as the Landmine museum. He has answered all our questions, made sure we were comfortable, and that we have had great food. 007 made sure we always had enough water and cool towels for our face/neck.We highly recommend Borin as a tour guide for Cambodia!!More
Monica, Mar 2023
Best Travel Service for Asia Travel
Alisa Liu was in charge of making the arrangements and she helped us from the start to make all of the arrangements and also helped us when we had questions and requested some adjustments. Her service is of the highest professional level. We are 100% confident that our trip will be perfect. We’re also 100% confident that, if anything comes up during our trip, that Alisa will be there to guide us through and take care of us. We won’t even consider using another agency for travel around Asia and we would like to have Alisa work for us again.More
Leo Pospichal, Mar 2023
Itinerary in Detail
We're ready to refine and design your own dream journey based on your preferences! Our team will create a tailor-made Japan and China tour, just for you. The following is to give you an inspirational example of what is the core of Japan and China touring.
Welcome to Japan, a country that uniquely blends ancient traditions with cutting-edge technology. From the bustling streets of Tokyo and tranquil gardens of Kyoto, to flourishing Osaka and the breathtaking cherry blossom season, Japan offers something to delight every traveler.
Savor traditional sushi, ramen, wagyu beef, and hot springs (onsen) for a relaxing and rejuvenating experience. With expert guides and a tailored itinerary, your Japan tour would be an unforgettable journey.
After your arrival at the airport, your private driver will welcome you with a name board and transfer you to your hotel. You'll have the rest of the day to relax and explore at your own pace.
Experience an unforgettable day exploring Tokyo with your own private guide:
- Begin your adventure with a visit to Meiji Shrine, where you can witness traditional Japanese weddings and pay your respects to Emperor Meiji.
- Take a stroll along picturesque Omotesando shopping street, famous for its broad tree-lined avenue and flagship stores of the world's top fashion brands.
- Unwind and appreciate the tranquil beauty of Hama-rikyu Gardens, one of Tokyo's most stunning traditional Japanese gardens.
- Experience a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, a time-honored practice that embodies the spirit of Japanese culture.
- Visit iconic Senso-ji temple in Asakusa, one of Tokyo's oldest and most famous Buddhist temples. Take in the striking architecture and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of this cultural hub.
Embark on a memorable journey through Tokyo's most iconic attractions:
- Begin by immersing yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Tsukiji Fish Market, renowned for its vast array of seafood and bustling market life.
- Elevate your culinary skills with an authentic sushi-making experience, led by a local sushi chef. Savor the exquisite flavors of your handcrafted sushi during a delightful lunch, while basking in the satisfaction of your newfound talent.
- Lose yourself in the energetic streets of Shibuya, home to the famous Shibuya Crossing and an abundance of shopping and entertainment options.
- Finally, ascending the magnificent Tokyo Skytree, where you'll marvel at the city's breathtaking panorama from its towering observation decks.
- Embark on an effortless journey to Hakone Yumoto station from Shinjuku station using your Hakone Freepass and Romancecar ticket. Enjoy a relaxing 90-minute direct journey to your destination.
- After arriving, board the local train to Gora station with the convenience of your Hakone Freepass. Then, hop on the shuttle bus to your accommodation.
- With the hassle of transportation taken care of, you have the rest of the day to unwind and explore at your own pace. Soak in the beauty of the surrounding nature or indulge in the area's famous hot springs for an ultimate relaxation experience.
Unleash the full potential of your Hakone Freepass and explore all that Hakone has to offer! Enjoy the freedom to get on and off various regional transport at your leisure, with the added benefit of discounted admission to multiple attractions in the region.
- The Hakone pass covers eight different forms of transportation, including trains, buses, cable cars, cableway, and boats, making it easy to see all the major sights of the region.
Alternatively, relax at your hotel and soak in the rejuvenating hot spring bath after a day of travel. Take advantage of the luxurious amenities and soak up the stunning scenery around you.
In the morning, make your way to Odawara station using your Hakone Freepass and use the train ticket to board the Shinkansen to Kyoto.
- On arrival at Kyoto station, make your own way to your hotel.
- The rest of the day is free time.
On the seventh day, we would explore the former imperial capital of Kyoto with a knowledgeable local guide and have your own private vehicle to visit some of its World Heritage Sites:
- The day begins with a visit to Kinkakuji Temple, also known as the Golden Pavilion. Originally built as a retirement villa for a shogun, this iconic temple was later converted into a Buddhist temple, making it one of Kyoto's most famous and revered landmarks.
- Don't miss the chance to explore Nijo Castle, an ornamental castle built by the founder of the Edo Shogunate as his Kyoto residence. Surrounded by stunning gardens, this castle's main building was completed in 1603 and is renowned for its unique architecture, decorated sliding doors, and 'chirping' nightingale floors.
- Take a leisurely stroll down Nishiki Market, a narrow, five-block long shopping street lined with over a hundred shops and restaurants. Known as "Kyoto's Kitchen", this vibrant retail market specializes in all things related to food, including fresh seafood, knives, and cookware. There, you can indulge in seasonal delicacies and Kyoto specialties such as Japanese sweets, pickles, dried seafood, and sushi.
- To cap off your day, choose between visiting Kiyomizu ('Pure Water') Temple or Sanjusangen-do ('Thirty-Three Halls') Temple. Both are magnificent examples of traditional Japanese architecture and offer unique cultural experiences that will leave you in awe.
Begin your full-day excursion to Nara with a 45-minute train ride from your hotel accompanied by your knowledgeable local guide. As Japan's capital for 74 years during the 8th century, Nara is home to many temples and shrines that were built during that time and still remain today:
- Your first stop will be at the Todai-ji Temple, the world's largest wooden building and home to Japan's largest Buddha.
- Visit Nara's most celebrated shrine, Kasuga Taisha, established in 768 AD and famous for its numerous bronze and stone lanterns donated by worshipers.
- Take a leisurely stroll through Nara Park, also known as Deer Park, where you can interact with over 1,200 tame deer that call the park home.
- Quench your thirst at a traditional sake brewery, where you can sample different types of sake and discover your favorite.
- On the way back from Nara, visit Fushimi Inari Shrine, which was featured in the movie "Memoirs of a Geisha". This shrine is home to over 10,000 red torii gates that form a beautiful path up the mountain behind the temple.
Day 9 of our Japan adventure is your chance to relax or explore Osaka on your own before your private driver takes you to the airport for your flight to Beijing, the capital of China.
Upon arrival in Beijing, your local guide will meet you and transfer you to your hotel for a well-deserved rest.
Ready for Beijing? Let's begin the day trip by visiting the symbol of new China — Tian'anmen Square.
- From there, proceed to the Forbidden City, the largest and best-preserved ancient imperial palace, with a rich 500-year history. While most tour groups only visit the six halls on the central axis, your private guide will help you explore 12 carefully-selected places to fully experience the grandeur and beauty of this historic site.
- Indulge in a delicious lunch of Beijing Roast Duck, where you can watch the chef's exquisite cutting skills, savor the crispy duck skin, and learn the proper way to eat it.
- After lunch, spend a leisurely afternoon exploring the charming hutong alleyways, where you can soak up the local atmosphere and learn about the daily lives of Beijing residents.
- Start the day's touring at the Temple of Heaven, where emperors prayed for a good harvest. Arrive early to witness locals practicing martial arts and engaging in other unique activities that you may not see in your home country.
- In the afternoon, visit Mutianyu, the top-ranked section of the Great Wall on TripAdvisor due to its picturesque scenery and beautifully-restored architecture. Although it is about a 2½-hour drive from downtown Beijing, the stunning views and unforgettable experience make it well worth the journey.
- Marvel at the stunning imperial garden of the Summer Palace, originally the summer retreat of the imperial court and now a peaceful escape from the summer heat.
- Experience China's technological development as you race towards Xi'an on a high-speed train. This is a unique and exciting way to travel and witness the modern advancements of China's transportation system.
- Start your day by uncovering the mysteries of the underground army that dates back to 206 BC at the Terracotta Army Museum. Then, visit a local craftsman's cave dwelling to learn how to make a mini terracotta warrior.
- Return to the city area and visit Xi'an City Wall, which has been guarding the inner city for over 600 years. Walking along the wall provides a stunning view of the city, or you can rent a bike to cycle around the 14 km (9-mile) wall for a unique leisurely experience.
- Explore more of Xi'an's rich history at Shaanxi History Museum and Big Wild Goose Pagoda, then head to the Muslim Quarter to wander through the alleys and savor the local Muslim cuisine.
- In the afternoon, your guide will take you to the airport for your flight to Shanghai. Upon arrival, your Shanghai guide will meet you and escort you to your hotel, where you can rest and recharge for the next day's adventures.
- Experience more than just taking a few selfies on the Bund during our In-Depth Bund Culture Discovery Tour, where you will travel back in time to the golden age of the Bund in the 1920s.
- Explore some of the old Bund buildings and listen to their fascinating stories. Then, ascend the tallest building in China, Shanghai Tower, where you can enjoy a breathtaking panoramic view of Shanghai and witness the vastness of the largest city in China.
On the last day of this itinerary, your private car, driver, and guide will be awaiting you at your hotel lobby, ensuring a timely arrival at the airport.
As you sit back and relax, they will provide check-in assistance and escort you to the correct security gate. Experience stress-free travel and a delightful journey home as they cater to your every need.
Ideas for Making This Trip Uniquely Yours
Special experiences can be added to brighten a honeymoon trip, a family vacation, a birthday, or satisfy personal interests.
Han Chinese Clothing and Customs Experience
For Couples and Family
Shanghai Chic by Night
Japanese Kimono Experience
For birthday/anniversary celebration
Sushi making class
For those who like Japanese foods
We have selected hotels with different styles and for different budgets. Let us know your preferences and we will help you find the right one.
Hotel in Tokyo with great location
Kid-friendly hotel with hot spring in Hakone
Central located hotel in Kyoto
Hotel near the Hutongs in Beijing
Apartment with kitchen in Xi'an
Our Service Includes:
- Private transport and personal English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- Hotel accommodation mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels
- Governmental taxes
Tour code: ah-ea-1
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
Get Inspired with Our Sample Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.